Bloodstock News

Not sure if there are any higher than $300,000 Gareth, but AP Indy currently stands for the same price..

Giant's Causeway and Kingmambo both stood at $300,000 last year but have since both gone private, though I suspect Kingmambo might still be at that price..

$300k ain't what it used to be. The top earners on this side of the pond won't be a million miles off?

Speaking of which, what will Galileo be next year?

It looks like the National Stud are upgrading their stallions in residence. At the weekend we were told that Deportivo was moved on, although the stud maintain a share in him, and Silver Patriarch is to go to Shropshire. In the latest owner Breeder magazine they have a full page add for their Group 1 winning stallions, which is what they seem to want to do now.

They must be competitive, or at least try to. And it is good I think that the Jockey Club take them over as at least they will have a stable owner for the time being. Also good is their acting Chairman, Christopher Spence.

But it is the end of an era when Silver leaves as he has been there a long time and his greyness will be much missed when we visit! We knew his owner who gifted him to the stud, and it is sad that he has not been more successful. At least he will still be under their banner and maybe can breed a good national hunt horse.

This is the polite excuse given for his move - to make him more accessible to national hunt breeders. I do think that the late Peter Winfield would have hoped he could breed some decent flat performers too but his mares from the flat have dwindled. His dam has been quite successful as she also bred the listed winner Silver Grey Lady and Papineau the Ascot Gold winner.

I think we will continue to see a shake up in their stallions until they find some top class performers at stud, both on the track and the sales, that can fly the flag for them.

Maybe Vixen can comment?

Courtesy of The National Stud

Latest News

The National Stud 2008 Roster
Following a review of its stallion roster, The National Stud has announced some changes for the 2008 breeding season.

The National Stud are greatly looking forward to the 2008 season and the prospect of standing 8 Group 1 winning stallions.

Based at the Newmarket National Stud will be new season sire Cockney Rebel, who is already receiving significant interest, along with Bahamian Bounty, Pastoral Pursuits, Val Royal and Phoenix Reach.

Popular St Leger winner and successful dual-purpose sire Silver Patriarch will remain on the National Stud’s roster and will stand at Wood Farm Stud in Shropshire. Silver Patriarch has attracted sizeable books of mares in Newmarket since the start of his stud career in 2000 and is being relocated in order to make him more accessible to National Hunt breeders. His best progeny to date include Rimsky (Gr.2 Persian War Novices’ Hurdle) and Funny Times (Listed EBF/Doncaster Bloodstock Sales Mares' Only Standard Open NH Flat Race Final). He is also responsible for the smart flat performer and dual Listed winner Party Boss.

Bill Bromley, owner of Wood Farm Stud is relishing the prospect of standing this ever popular stallion commenting “I have always been a fan of Silver Patriarch and we are looking forward to him joining us following the Cheltenham Stallion Parade”.

Deportivo, who has been standing at The National Stud in Newmarket since retiring to stud in 2005, has been sold and will be standing at Walton Fields Stud in Leicestershire.

The National Stud has had a long association with Walton Fields Stud, and First Trump, who is now also making his mark as a broodmare sire, notably with Gr.1 winner Red Clubs (Red Ransom – Two Clubs, by First Trump) will remain at Walton Fields as part of the National Stud roster next year.

The superb looking and Gr.3 Diomed Stakes winner Passing Glance, is entered for Tattersalls December Sales.

Another St Leger winner, Bollin Eric, will no longer form part of The National Stud’s stallion roster for 2008 and will be moving to Norton Grove Stud, in his owner’s home County of Yorkshire.

to comment on the National Stud stallions: really, they have not been very clever with the ones they did stand in recent times, and hard to understand what they hoped for when standing the likes of Bollin Eric, PG, SP etc. Don´t get me wrong, all horses I adore, but never ever going to be "flat-commercial" so to say, and clear from day one that only pos. future would be NH. They just never get chances ... and poor Passing Glance now even entered at auction seems to be a very deperate move ...

Now here's a first season sire bargain (for a change).

Derby second Walk In The Park has been retired to stud at Lisieux in Calvados at a fee of 2,500 Euros. By the outstanding, but fertility-troubled, Montjeu out of an Irish 1000 guineas winner, that must represent excellent value.

Dylan Thomas at €50k, Excellent Art at €25k and Galileo's gone private.

High Chaparral down to €15k after a poor debut season for his 2yos.

Holy Roman Emperor at €35k is new info as well, don't think they published it last year.

Was Westerner listed with the flat stallions last year?

He's had Noble Causeway, My Typhoon (on turf, sister to Galileo etc.), First Samurai and one or two others. He doesn't really justify the stud fee but they took it to "private" and reportedly it was around $200,000 or so, still not bad value when you consider Street Sense is in at 75k and Elusive Quality is priced pretty high on the back of one horse.

He's done ok-ish, but his yearlings have "only" averaged around $290,000 this year, according to The Bloodhorse stats from Keeneland, so a reduction is overdue.

It was $300,000 last year, and "private" (probably $200,000 or less) this year, so he's become a loss-maker for mare owners.

Excellent Art at €25k seems slightly dear for what he's achieved - Araafa started at £15k last year and is down to £12k this time.

No Fasliyev...maybe he's swapping with Rock of Gibraltar and going to Japan?

Quite a few have had their prices trimmed slightly...Hawk Wing and High Chaparral down to about the equivalent of £10k which would put them on a par with some of their UK rivals such as Nayef & Sakhee. It all sounds "about right" for the current market.

Think I might be tempted by Manduro at €40k rather than Dylan at €50k...

I agree Excellent Art is too expensive, no doubt his fee will be reduced in 2009, but they're clearly cashing in on the first season sire effect, which always takes in the gullible when the first crop reach the salering.

And, yes, Manduro is far better value than Dylan Thomas.

Westerner is a bargain at 6000 euros. Don't forget he was top class at 12f as well as at longer trips, and he had a turn of foot.

The fees for the established sires look ok to me, more or less.

1st dam: Mandellicht by Be My Guest. Winner (71/2f) at 3, 3rd Dusseldorfer Stutenpreis der Goritz, Festa Rennen. Dam of 8 foals, 4 to race, 4 winners:

MANDURO (c Monsun) Champion, see Race record.
MANDELA (f Acatenango) 3 wins (9f-11f) at 3 and 4, Slenderella Rennen, 3rd Preis der Diana (G1),
Prix de Pomone (G2), Santa Barbara H (G2).
MARASCHINO (c Dashing Blade) Winner (7f) at 2.
MADURA (f Dashing Blade) Winner (8f) at 3.

2nd dam: MANDELAUGE by Elektrant. 2 wins (8f-11f) at 2 and 3. Dam of 7 winners:

Mandellicht (f Be My Guest) Black Type placed winner, see above.
MANDELMARSCH (c Marchand de Sable) 7 wins 3 to 10, 2007.
MANDEL LAW (g Law Society) 6 wins at 4 and 5.
MANDEL SET (f Second Set) 3 wins at 4.
MANDEL ISLAND (f Turtle Island) 3 wins at 4.
MANDAMOU (f Ela-Mana-Mou) Winner at 2 and 4. Dam of:

MANDAHUSH (f Alwuhush) Premio Toscana.
MANDELHUSH (f Alwuhush) 2 wins at 3.

3rd dam: MANDRIALE by Norfolk. 3 wins, 2 to 4. Dam of 6 winners:

MANDELBAUM (c Konigsstuhl) Mehl-Mulhens Rennen (G2), Zanders Union-Rennen (G2), Dr Busch-Memorial.
Sire.
Mandolino (c Kronenkranich) 3rd Preis vom Gestut Ostenhof-Orsini Rennen.
MENSA (f Lagunas) 2 wins at 3. Dam of:

MAESTOSO (g Dashing Blade) Jean Harzheim Rennen, 2nd Henninger Trophy.
Mensatiger (c Tiger Hill) 2nd Fruhjahrspreis der Bankhaus Metzler (G3).
MANDELAUGE (f Elektrant) Winner, see above.
MAYTANGO (c Acatenango) 2 wins at 3.

4th dam: MARIAPOLIS by Acropolis. 4 wins at 3. Dam of 7 winners:

Montego (g Hethersett) 2nd Hugo Korver-Rennen.
Miralta (f Luciano) 2nd Dr Hans Hess Memorial.
Grecian Rose (f Relic) Dam of:

Rose Chapeau (f High Hat) 3rd Demoiselle S. Dam of: Lady Val (f Quiet Fling) 2nd Satin and Lace S.
Grandam of: YECEIN (f Crafty Prospector) Champion imported two-year-old filly in Panama, Premio Cuerpo de Bomberos de Panama (G3).
Wine And Roses (f Worden) Unraced. Dam of: El Rastro’s Miss (f El Rastro) 3rd Hannah Dustin H;
Cartersville Miss (f Go Marching) 3rd Auld Lang Syne H. Grandam of: MYBRIDE BARBARA (f Medieval Man) Light Hearted S.

Don´t forget that Manduro only won his maiden in the middle of his three-year-old season; he only had three runs so far, but did beat Soldier Hollow in a muddling three-horse Gr. II in october. His best season was at five, and / but we do not need reminding what sort of season that was.

IMO Dylan is better value, classic winner and consistent runner from 2-4, but then again, on what sort of level are we arguing. clearly two of the most exciting new stallions, next to Toylsome :)

Sorry Crazyhorse, but Manduro broke his maiden some time before.

First time out he produced a six length win, four weeks later he become 'Winterfavorit 2004' ;-) (Its the most important race for two year olds in germany)
Afterwards he hasn't growing so much during the winter, so early in 2005 he looks like a dog. I think he spend his whole energy to deal with his teething problems.

Back