Bloodstock News

That's exciting news and makes for some much-needed 'balance' in the bloodstock industry. I don't know about Coolmore and/or Darley not sending mares there but I would very much doubt either camp will boycott the horse - why would Darley as they stand CAPE CROSS ? I would think sending mares to Gilltown wouldn't show any loss of face or commercial 'damage' from Coolmore's point of view either (Gal - views ?), so could be everybody's a winner with this news!

I wonder how much a colt or filly by an Arc winner (out of an Arc Winner) out of an Arc winner would go for at public auction...

Who knows... sounds good, although in general the replication of across the board middle-distance influences could as easily result in a St Leger or Triumph Hurdle candidate rather than another Arc horse. There would likely be more at play than that in this particular instance though.

Last edited:
Will Coolmore be interested in sending many mares to him considering that they own his already proven half brother?

They will be interested in promoting their own proven stallions first, evrything else second. STS's progeny will command such high initial fees that they are unlikely to prove economic, even if you could guarantee that he'll be any good at stud... There is no necessary one-to-one correlation with performance on the racetrack and performance in the breeding shed.

I would think and expect Coolmore to take little interest in Sea The Stars - in terms of sending mares to him. Would expect them to wait, and if he did start producing the goods they would buy into his line like they have done with Pivotal (Excellent Art) and now Oasis Dream.

Interesting decision to stand him in Gilltown.

I think this is a great decision to stand him at Gilltown. The Aga Khan tends to have limited books on his stallions, I wonder if he has passed on any advice of that kind to the owners?

Will Coolmore be able to buy into this stallion should he make it? Owners so far have proved to be pretty resilient over the offers that have been made. Maybe they would be able to and I am sure not using STS will make no difference to their breeding empire but if the horse turns out to be a sire sensation as well as a racehorse... ?!?:p

What have Coolmore done re Oasis Dream?

Buying the sales topper at Tattersalls.

When I mean "buy into him" I meant then they might consider either sending a couple of mares to him or more likely purchase his stock through the sales ring or privately.

But in truth we are just second guessing them a bit...

I wonder how disappointed the Sheikh is that he did not get him.

Will Coolmore be able to buy into this stallion should he make it? Owners so far have proved to be pretty resilient over the offers that have been made. Maybe they would be able to and I am sure not using STS will make no difference to their breeding empire but if the horse turns out to be a sire sensation as well as a racehorse... ?!?:p

Although STS will have first 'choice' of the good mares he really has no more of a chance of becoming a breeding sensation than any of the first season sires who make it through to this stage... the odds are on Coolmore's side.

...I suppose Coolmore could ultimate buy anything it put it's mind to. I doubt whether it would though as STS would cost too much to be viable... more the sort of thing that Darley or the Japanese would try to do - buy the perceived best at an inflated price and suffer the economic realities.

Last edited:
Buying the sales topper at Tattersalls.

When I mean "buy into him" I meant then they might consider either sending a couple of mares to him or more likely purchase his stock through the sales ring or privately.

But in truth we are just second guessing them a bit...

I wonder how disappointed the Sheikh is that he did not get him.

Cheers.

Probably very. Good to see as the Aga Khan's mares are clearly on another level, and Coolmore could if they choose send some of their better mares to him.

I wonder how big of a boost this is to Oxx - I would imagine a pretty good one. Alot of the Aga's mares progeny would have gone straight to the French trainers. Perhaps with the Tsui connection now he might get a few that would usually have gone across the channel.

I thinking Tsui is making and risky and intelligent decision.

Doing this Aga, coolmore and Darley will send mares and will bide in the sales for his songs.

Now he needs the stallion does well and stays healthy.

Big blow to the Irish National Stud I would have thought who must have hoped they were in the running to get him.

I think he could do very well at Gilltown though, and hope that he does. Would like to see his genes preserved and on the racetrack for years to come.

I think this is a great decision to stand him at Gilltown. The Aga Khan tends to have limited books on his stallions, I wonder if he has passed on any advice of that kind to the owners?

According to RP site his first book will be approx 120 mares at a fee of 85,000 euros.

Does anyone have a guesstimate of how many live foals that could mean, assuming he doesn't have any fertility issues?

According to RP site his first book will be approx 120 mares at a fee of 85,000 euros.

Does anyone have a guesstimate of how many live foals that could mean, assuming he doesn't have any fertility issues?

I'd be surprised if he's asked to cover 120. They don't have to adopt a scattergun approach with him (...yet).

Last edited:
120 sounds a lot but maybe they are hoping to cash in before anything makes it to a race course? Anything over 80% live foals surviving would be a good rate - that would be allowing a certain percantage to die up to a number of months after birth too.

Back