Bloodstock News

But in truth we are just second guessing them a bit...

I wonder how disappointed the Sheikh is that he did not get him.

I thought Giltown was a possibility, but still, having painted the shed and cut the grass I was gutted not to get the nod.The kids were really looking forward to bringing him for walks :confused:

How do you think Azamour will do Steve?

Bit early to have any real clues about Azamour. He’s a great physical specimen and there’s no reason why he shouldn’t do well… Dalakhani is a couple of seasons ahead of him and has already had notable success with the likes of Conduit and Moonstone at Group 1 level and various other pattern race winners.

Last edited:
Big blow to the Irish National Stud I would have thought who must have hoped they were in the running to get him.

I think he could do very well at Gilltown though, and hope that he does. Would like to see his genes preserved and on the racetrack for years to come.

When John Clarke left the writing must have been on the wall. They must feel a bit used though......

I thought Giltown was a possibility, but still, having painted the shed and cut the grass I was gutted not to get the nod.The kids were really looking forward to bringing him for walks :confused:

Extraordinary decision... the fools! Better luck next time Sheikh.:D

120 sounds a lot but maybe they are hoping to cash in before anything makes it to a race course? Anything over 80% live foals surviving would be a good rate - that would be allowing a certain percantage to die up to a number of months after birth too.

I would imagine he will comfortably cover that amount given the likely demand for him.

From the Sporting Life:

Ladbrokes offer 100/1 that the offspring of Sea The Stars and Zarkava wins the 2014 Arc.

The pair will meet in the breeding shed after it was confirmed the brilliant Derby and Arc winner will stand at the Aga Khan's Gilltown Stud.

Paddy Power offer only 33/1 that the resultant colt or filly will follow in their parents' hoofprints by winning the Longchamp showpiece.

The same firm are 6/1 about he or she never winning a race, 20/1 to land a UK Classic and 12/1 to run over jumps.

Ladbrokes offer 16/1 about Sea The Stars siring the Epsom Derby winner in his first season and also 16/1 to sire the winner of the Arc.

I'd rather back this than be one of the morons who backs unraced Stoute animals to win the Derby at 25s 9 months before!

I would imagine he will comfortably cover that amount given the likely demand for him.

I didn't mean to suggest he wouldn't be capable; lots of stallions can cover this number and a lot more. My thought was that they might have been more restrictive in numbers to choice of mares.

It's not simply demand that determines his book. There would be excess demand whatever the size (even at this price). It would be very short term thinking to adopt a scattergun approach with him (at least at this stage).

It's not simply demand that determines his book. There would be excess demand whatever the size (even at this price). It would be very short term thinking to adopt a scattergun approach with him (at least at this stage).

I would imagine they would like to give him every chance to do well early on - given the quality of the book of mares that is likely to apply to him I think they will easily get sufficient quality of mares to give him 120 coverings considering the support he will get from the Aga, Sheikh Mo and plenty of the other Irish and British breeders about.

Will be interesting to see how Azamour does.

A real shame I thought that Alamshar wasn't given a better go over here before being shipped to Japan - I can't make head nor tail of that one.

Sinndar is a sire I like, and think the best hasn't been gotten from him as a sire as yet. Has had some nice horses like Youmzain, Pictavia, Rosanara, Visindar and my favourite filly of recent years, Shawanda (never to race again once bought by Godolphin).

Dalakhani looks like he will churn out decent horses for years to come.$

Lovely operation, and good to see Sea the Stars stay so close to Oxx.

Is it open to the public?

A real shame I thought that Alamshar wasn't given a better go over here before being shipped to Japan - I can't make head nor tail of that one.

I suspect the offer from Japan was just too good to turn down. You also have to factor in Alamshar's chronic back issues being a potential black mark against him.

I would imagine they would like to give him every chance to do well early on - given the quality of the book of mares that is likely to apply to him I think they will easily get sufficient quality of mares to give him 120 coverings considering the support he will get from the Aga, Sheikh Mo and plenty of the other Irish and British breeders about.

Volume is not necessarily the best way of giving him every chance they might be wiser to limit his book to the best matches in an attempt to get a high percentage return. This will ensure that his fee remains high (or at least higher than it would be) for a number of seasons, rather than see it plummet like a lead weight after the first couple. 120 mares could finish the poor lad off before before he's had a chance to assert. If they want to adopt a 'smash and grab' approach that's another thing.

There seems to be even more hype about STS's stud prospects than there was about his racing career.

Looking at things dispassionately, his breeding doesn't immediately say 'supersire' to me. \His is a fine, high quality outcross pedigree which produced an outstanding racehorse, but a lack of duplications in the first 5 generations make it hard to find a 'key' for breeders to latch on to.

'Breed back to the sire the best blood of his dam' is what Hall-Walker used to advise. I suppose that would mean mares with either Urban Sea's family in their pedigree and/or close-up Mr Prospector.

Although some great champions have proved great sires - St Simon, Nearco, Ribot are three obvious examples - there have been plenty who've failed to come up with the goods. Leaving aside those who had fertility issues, you have to balance their successes against the failures like Citation, Tulloch, Brigadier Gerard and Spectacular Bid.

85000 Euros is about what I expected.

I'm delighted to see STS heading for Giltown. I was musing with Grey at Longchamp that he deserved to go to a third power outside of Coolmore and Darley and the Aga was my hope. but never thought it would happen. It does create a bit of a conundrum though. The Aga will really support STS so you could see him send 20 mares and Darley will support him, say with another 20 mares. Those will never reach the sales ring so even with 120 coverings, only 80 will be available for sale. And that's assuming no more owner/breeders sending their mares to STS and they all survive. I can see plenty of demand for the offspring so €85k might not be a bad investment with the right mare.

I'm delighted to see STS heading for Giltown. I was musing with Grey at Longchamp that he deserved to go to a third power outside of Coolmore and Darley and the Aga was my hope. but never thought it would happen. It does create a bit of a conundrum though. The Aga will really support STS so you could see him send 20 mares and Darley will support him, say with another 20 mares. Those will never reach the sales ring so even with 120 coverings, only 80 will be available for sale. And that's assuming no more owner/breeders sending their mares to STS and they all survive. I can see plenty of demand for the offspring so €85k might not be a bad investment with the right mare.

Quite so. Although much fewer than 80 will come up for public auction from the first crop. They are likely to be a scarce (at least to begin with) - which in turn will drive up their value - as owner/breeders sending their mares to STS are likely to want to race them themselves (as you have indicated with regard to Darley and the AK).

A replacement for Monsieur Bond who's gone up to Yorkshire.

Unusual these days for this stud to stand a non-sprinter. The days of Ballymoss seem a long way off.

Here is the Whitsbury Manor stallion line-up for 2010:

Name 2009 fee 2010 fee

Avonbridge 3,500 3,500
Cadeaux Genereux 10,000 poa
Compton Place 7,500 6,000
Refuse To Bend €9,000 5,000
Sakhee's Secret 6,500 5,500

Avonbridge and particularly Compton Place look very good value.

First price is this year, second is next. Doesn't look like they thought about it much. Pity Creachadoir didn't stand here. He got messed around.

DARLEY EUROPEAN FEES 2010
Oct 1st, special live foal
Name Location 2009 fee 2010 fee
Authorized Dalham Hall €25,000 £20,000
Byron Dalham Hall £4,000 £4,000
Cadeaux Genereux Whitsbury Manor £10,000 poa
Cape Cross Kildangan €35,000 €35,000
Country Reel Haras du Logis €4,500 €4,500
Creachadoir Haras du Logis na €4,500
Dubawi Dalham Hall £15,000 £20,000
Echo Of Light Kildangan £4,000 €4,000
Exceed And Excel Dalham Hall £12,000 £12,000
Halling Dalham Hall £8,000 £10,000
Iffraaj Kildangan €8,000 €6,000
Kheleyf Kildangan €12,000 €8,000
King's Best Haras du Logis €15,000 €15,000
Layman Haras du Logis €5,000 €4,500
Librettist Haras du Logis €7,000 €7,000
Manduro Kildangan £20,000 €20,000
New Approach Dalham Hall £30,000 £30,000
Raven's Pass Kildangan €40,000 €30,000
Refuse To Bend Whitsbury Manor €12,000 £5,000
Shamardal Kildangan €20,000 €20,000
Shirocco Dalham Hall €10,000 £10,000
Singspiel Dalham Hall £15,000 £15,000
Slickly Haras du Logis €7,000 €7,000
Sulamani Haras du Logis €7,000 €5,000
Teofilo Kildangan €25,000 €20,000
Tiger Hill Dalham Hall £12,000 £8,000

Last edited:
Darley are cutting all over the place then in America they've hiked Medaglia d'oro from 40k to 100k off the back of Rachel Alexandra..

Back