Bloodstock News

By Bloodstock World Staff6:23PM 4 DEC 2009
GROUP 1 winners Soldier Of Fortune and Palace Episode will stand their first seasons at stud at the Haras du Logis Saint-Germain in Normandy next year.
Bred by Jim Bolger, Soldier Of Fortune won his maiden and finished runner-up to Passage Of Time in the Criterium de Saint-Cloud at two.
After scoring in the Prix Noailles on his three-year-old debut, winning the Chester Vase and finishing fifth to Authorized in the Derby, Soldier Of Fortune was a devastating nine-length winner of the Irish Derby, with Alexander Of Hales and Eagle Mountain filling the places.
He also won the Prix Niel at three and was fifth to stablemate Dylan Thomas in the Arc.
On Soldier Of Fotune's first run at four last year he scored in the Coronation Cup, finished second to Youmzain in the Criterium de Saint-Cloud and third to Zarkava in the Arc.
Soldier Of Fortune is a brother to Group 3 winner Heliostatic out of the Listed juvenile scorer Affianced, herself a half-sister to Sholokhov and the grand-dam of Intense Focus. He will become only the second, and by far the most significant son of Galileo to stand in France.
Haras du Logis Saint-Germain manager Claude Lambert said: "We are delighted that Soldier Of Fortune is retiring to stud here in France. He's got everything one would look for in a stallion."
Soldier Of Fortune will stand at a fee of €10,000 for a partnership involving Coolmore. The operation's Christy Grassick said: "Coolmore have been looking to send a horse to stand in France for a number of years and Soldier Of Fortune seemed the ideal type to appeal to the French breeder."
Palace Episode, the winner of the 2005 Racing Post Trophy, will stand his first season at stud for a fee of €4,500.
The son of Machiavellian was purchased by pinhooker Con Marnane for $100,000 as a yearling, but was led out of the ring unsold at the Tattersalls Craven breeze-up sale at $44,000 the following spring.
Marnane put Palace Episode into training with Kevin Ryan to race in the colours of his wife Theresa, and the horse wonon his debut, landed the Acomb Stakes and finished third in the Royal Lodge Stakes on the way to victory over subsequent Classic winners Dylan Thomas and Septimus in the Racing Post Trophy.
After being purchased by Godolphin, Palace Episode made one start at three, when being virtually pulled up in the Dante Stakes, before being transferred to race in the US, where his best effort was a third placing in the Grade 2 Kelso Handicap over 1m at four.
Palace Episode is out of the Seattle Dancer mare Palace Weekend, an unraced half-sister to Kentucky Derby runner-up Tejano Run.
Marc-Antoine Berghgracht of the MAB Agency brokered the deals to stand both horses.

I think the fact that Coolmore still hold shares in the horse (and are pretty open about their new venture into France) is interesting.

Would be interesting to see will they open a stud of there own in France it could possibly be a location for horses that didn't reach the top on the racetrack Thewayouare would have been a good horse to send there but being by Kingmambo America was the place

Whitsbury Manor's little brochure for 2010 arrived today:

AVONBRIDGE, £3,500

COMPTON PLACE £6,000

SAKHEE'S SECRET (first foals due next year) £5,500

CADEAUX GENEREUX on application

REFUSE TO BEND £5,000

I don't know, tracks. He was born 2000, raced as a 3 y.o., and Whitsbury say "Making an excellent start at stud... " - he's had two crops, the first including 8 stakes horses including GRACE O'MALLEY and the second including 16 juvie winners, inc. Group winner NEON LIGHT, so I guess it's a question of backtracking from there.

Got rid of him this year but i as far as i know they still own him has been a bit of a flop at stud others recommened:)

Booked BAHAMIAN BOUNTY for SONGSHEET and was pretty gobsmacked when getting the National Stud's 2010 brochure last week to see one of the three pictured winning offspring of B B was FAREER !

B B's foals sold very well last week and so I'm hoping Songy will get in foal to an early cover. She'll be in at night after Christmas under lights.

Add in the Irish Field for a Fruits of Love yearling yearling filly out of a full sister to Shadow leader. Thought it might interest someone:whistle:

BLACK MAMBO, a leading second crop sire in Florida, has been euthanized after suffering from severe equine protozoalmyeloencephalitis (EMP). He stood the past season at Bridlewood Farm in Florida for $4,000.
The son of Kingmambo raced once for Aidan O'Brien before going to the US, where he won three minor races and was stakes-placed.
He was sold for $1.1 million at Keeneland's September Yearling Sale and was bred in Kentucky by William S. Farish and W.S. Kilroy. He is the sire of one stakes winner, Big Push.
Black Mambo was a brother to Love Me True, the dam of Duke Of Marmalade, and his dam is a half-sister to the dam of A.P. Indy.
Bridlewood's general manager George Isaacs said: "From day one, an aggressive treatment program was administered to combat this insidious disease. Although he fought valiantly, he was not able to recover from the damage that the parasite caused. In my entire career, I have never seen a horse so affected by this condition".

From the Racing Post:

"THE first foal out of 2004 1,000 Guineas winner Attraction, named Elation, broke her duck in Lingfield's fillies' maiden on the all-weather on Wednesday.
The juvenile filly is by Cape Cross and was fourth on her Kempton debut over 6f, but stepped up on that effort to score in the 7f contest in comprehensive fashion at odds of 8-11.
Elation broke well, with Joe Fanning quickly bagging the rail and successfully making all. After turning for home, Elation was able to power clear of her rivals, crossing the line four and a half lengths in front of her nearest challenger Freddie's Girl.
Like Attraction, Elation was homebred by their owner the Duke of Roxburghe, and is also trained by Mark Johnston.
The two fillies have been campaigned very differently, though, as Attraction made her debut in April and her juvenile season ended with victory in the Cherry Hinton Stakes in July, whereas Elation did not see a racecourse until the last week in November.
Attraction retired to stud following her four-year-old season as the winner of ten races including the English and Irish 1,000 Guineas, Coronation Stakes, Matron Stakes and Sun Chariot Stakes.
The daughter of Efisio has a yearling filly by Montjeu named Devastation and a colt foal by Pivotal, while her dam, Flirtation, has a yearling filly by Motivator to run for her next year."

Obviously not as good as her mother - who was most defnitely a freak!

From the Racing Post:

"THE first foal out of 2004 1,000 Guineas winner Attraction, named Elation, broke her duck in Lingfield's fillies' maiden on the all-weather on Wednesday.
The juvenile filly is by Cape Cross and was fourth on her Kempton debut over 6f, but stepped up on that effort to score in the 7f contest in comprehensive fashion at odds of 8-11.
Elation broke well, with Joe Fanning quickly bagging the rail and successfully making all. After turning for home, Elation was able to power clear of her rivals, crossing the line four and a half lengths in front of her nearest challenger Freddie's Girl.
Like Attraction, Elation was homebred by their owner the Duke of Roxburghe, and is also trained by Mark Johnston.
The two fillies have been campaigned very differently, though, as Attraction made her debut in April and her juvenile season ended with victory in the Cherry Hinton Stakes in July, whereas Elation did not see a racecourse until the last week in November.
Attraction retired to stud following her four-year-old season as the winner of ten races including the English and Irish 1,000 Guineas, Coronation Stakes, Matron Stakes and Sun Chariot Stakes.
The daughter of Efisio has a yearling filly by Montjeu named Devastation and a colt foal by Pivotal, while her dam, Flirtation, has a yearling filly by Motivator to run for her next year."

Obviously not as good as her mother - who was most defnitely a freak!

Has anyone seen her in the flesh? Wonder what her legs are like!

The whole line's going to have names ending in 'ation' by the look of it. God help any foal she gets by MUHTATHIR... 'Muhtation'?

FORMER Godolphin Group 1 winners Moon Ballad and Grandera have been sold to stand at Kenneth Cullinane's and Deirdre Lusby's Woodlands Stud in Ireland. They arrived at the Galway-based operation yesterday, having both spent their stud careers to date at the YushunStallion Station in Hokkaido under the Darley Japan banner.

Has anyone seen her in the flesh? Wonder what her legs are like!

We went to Floors Castle earlier this year and I was really looking forward to seeing her, but talking to staff apparently she was in Ireland, I was so bitterly disappointed! I have seen her, but only head over a stable door!! They said she was in foal again, but weren't sure who to.

Back