Bloodstock News

I heard it was CURLIN, too. Together, they should make a beautiful, sharp powerhouse. What's the betting it'll turn out to be a 20mph weed? :lol:

NH sire SAGAMIX, winner of the 1998 Arc, is transferring duties to Overbury Stud, standing at the low rate of £2,500, joining KAYF TARA and PROCLAMATION.

Don't know if Songsheet will wish to sound like she's on Cloud 9, but she and her partner-in-breeding (Ashbrittle Stud) are tonight: their COMPTON PLACE-BARRANTES colt has sold for 28,000 gns today. This is a minor miracle, as other Compos weren't doing as well as that. He's apparently got a very good look to him, and some attitude, which always helps to catch a buyer's eye. And it's as well we found a home for our ICEMAN filly this summer, it seems, as his progeny continue to sell for very tiny sums, if at all, which won't cover their keep and costs.

Coolmore stallions and fees in Euros for 2010. Where applicable, I've added the number of their yearlings presented at the 2009 sales versus those sold, with average £ attained.

AD VALOREM 5,000 53/38 £15,833
AUSSIE RULES 6,000 53/42 £27,707
CHOISIR 6,000 47/31 £13,548
DANEHILL DANCER (Private) 70/65 £126,197
DUKE OF MARMALADE 30,000
DYLAN THOMAS 25,000
EXCELLENT ART 12,500
FOOTSTEPSINTHESAND 12,500 61/47 £31,466
GALILEO (Private) 70/59 £207,089
HIGH CHAPPARAL 15,000 68/51 £35,126
HOLY SH - sorry - ROMAN EMPEROR 17,500 55/46 £72,999
HURRICANE RUN 17,500 80/68 £68,729
IVAN DENISOVICH 3,000 41/26 £9,251
MASTERCRAFTSMAN 20,000
MONTJEU (Private) 39/36 £160,046
ORATORIO 15,000 98/68 £39,576 (Who's been a busy boy?)
PEINTRE CELEBRE 17,500 22/18 £66,991
POWERSCOURT 7,500
ROCK OF GIBRALTAR 22,500
STRATEGIC PRINCE 4,000
YEATS 10,000

I'd love to know where the 'missing' 30 ORATORIOs and 28 HURRICANE RUNs went - possibly privately, or some failing to make over-optimistic reserves?

I'd say the median would give a more accurate view although even that is probably skewed by the top 5%.Hard to know what your counting when you look at their well managed stats. Selling horses to themselves to keep the stats right.

Very interesting Krizon, thanks. As Sheikh says, the median would be very interesting as the averages make them look like impossibly good investments. Aussie Rules runs at 4.6 times his fee, for example.

If this all goes pear-shaped we could be in for some "interesting" times in the bloodstock industry, to put it mildly:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8382103.stm
Whether it is significant that John Ferguson has only signed for three lots at the Foal Sale so far, two at under 100k, remains to be seen. Neither Shadwell (1 lot so far at 150k) nor Rabbah (nothing bought yet) have been especially active, either. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Mare Sale next week.

Last edited:
I can give you the Medians, if you want 'em. Bear in mind the Stallion Guide Statistical Supplement is crammed full of various monitors on stallions as leading by win money, leading by foal/yearling/2 y.o. price, etc., etc. and it'd take me a week to set it all out! But as far as Coolmore's lot are concerned, here they are. If you want any others, let me know, and I'll put 'em up.

AD VALOREM: £7,969 (worst sale, £729, minimum bid)
AUSSIE RULES: £19,197 (worst sale, £1,821)
CHOISIR: £6,000 (worst sale, £729)
DANEHILL DANCER: £105,000 (worst sale, £7,350)
FOOTSTEPSINTHESAND: £16,393 (worst sale, £911)
GALILEO: £163,934 (worst sale, £21,000)
HIGH CHAPPARAL: £25,200 (worst sale, £1,366)
HURRICANE RUN: £45,869 (worst sale, £729)
IVAN DENISOVICH: £6,828 (worst sale, £800)
MONTJEU: £117,645 (worst sale, £21,000)
ORATORIO: £25,351 (worst sale, £1,366)
PEINTRE CELEBRE: £31,876 (worst sale, £6,825)

Let me know if you're interested in any other stallion results and I'll bung 'em up.

Recession? what recession looking at the price some of the foals are selling at Tatts. My friends foal has just sold for 100k so they are over the moon!

What's the parentage, LE? The top-drawer will always find a market. It's the middle range and the bargain basement stallions who'll see the poorer returns - there have been some really very low results, according to Songsheet. When she returns from celebrating her latest sale, she'll probably be able to flag up some of the signal failures. (And I don't mean RAIL LINK!)

Cheers, LE, and well done to your pals. I'd be in intensive care if I'd ever sold anything for 100K! NAYEF is 25th in the Leading Sires in GB & Ireland 2009 list, with a small presentation of 22 yearlings 2009, of which 14 sold. Median value £43,575, worst sale just £2,000, best £262,500, stud fee for 2010 is £15,000.

Rabbah bought seven yearlings last Monday spending 316k - that's about their norm. I am not surprised they didn't buy any foals. Between the members, they have their own breeding operations and would buy yearlings to race as two year olds.

TRIPLE Group 1 winner Lush Lashes is headed for a liaison with the outstanding Sea The Stars next spring after being purchased by her trainer Jim Bolger to buy out co-owner John Corcoran.
Lincoln Collins of Kern/Lillingston did the bidding on behalf of Bolger, and he had to go to 1.8 million guineas to see off the challenge of underbidder Seamus Burns of Lodge Park Stud.
Bolger said after the daughter of Galileo's sale: "I've bought out the partner and will be sending the filly to Sea The Stars - it's the mating that everybody wants to see."
Bolger also revealed that he had applied to send seven mares to this year's Derby and Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner, including last year's Albany Stakes heroine Cuis Ghaire.

A most intelligent and imaginative decision, following the old Hall-Walker adage "breed back to the sire the best blood of his dam".

Imo, Hall-Walker is the best reader of pedigrees that has ever lived, certainly better than Tesio, who was no mug himself.

If Sea The Stars is to be a real success as a stallion, then this is just the sort of mating which is most likely to work, especially as STS has an outcross pedigree and is not by an outstandingly prepotent sire (good though Cape Cross is).

Of course, we don't yet know whether either parent will tend to pass on any sort of decent engine components, regardless of how they're mated.

Jim Bolger is a very astute breeder and he's got nothing to lose by breeding LUSH LASHES to SEA THE STARS as there's no real commercial pressure. He knows their temperaments better than anyone so hopefully this will prove to be an inspired example of line-breeding but, as anyone who has ever line bred any species knows, Nature can also play very cruel tricks and Mr Bolger, while breeding back to URBAN SEA, is also doubling up a fair bit on NORTHERN DANCER and his get.

Could be a fascinating process!

It's a bit too close up for my liking but hey if your going to inbreed that close up it might as well be to Urban Sea...... Did Urban sea have any conformation issues that anyone is aware of ?

Can you get into the equine equivalent of Duelling Banjoes country with such a close breed-back, Songy? Not so much how the physical specimen is, but the mental apparatus? Do you actually get cretinism in horses, by the way, by breedin' a li'l too close to yer Granpappy? (No, seriously!)

Temperament issues would be my worry - I believe URBAN SEA was an extremely good-looking mare - certainly so far her offspring have been!

I don't think it's likely anything with major genetic faults would appear but the problem is with line-breeding closely on horses is the sheer length of time it takes to gestate and so, with a limited number of foals a mare is able to breed, every year takes a big chunk out of her reproductive lifespan - especially if she's not an easy breeder and there's nothing to say whether LL will or won't be yet.

It's 'easy' to line breed successfully with animals like dogs or cats, as more in a litter, short gestation so any problems quickly show themselves.

I saw Urban Sea when she was in training and she didn't strike me as particularly nice looking - fairly small and a typical Miswaki. Put her alongside Zenyatta and she would have looked like a goat!

Back