Books To Recommend ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
Haven't yet read Memoirs of a Geisha, Shadz - it's sitting there waiting to be started!

Try "The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagan" if you haven't already..

Nicholas Nickleby - although I knew the outlines of the story -what a cracking yarn ! 840 pages flew by in 2 days .

Didn't get much action on your hols, then, Ardross? :brows:

I can see it all now - A. out on the sunny terrace with a wide-brimmed straw hat, white linen suit, espadrilles, sun cream, nose guard, extra-UV protection sunglasses, huge sun umbrella, fly whisk, insect repellent, 5 litres of Evian, and Nicholas Nickleby. Who says the English don't know how to cut loose?

To each his own - the vast majority of your musical choices I would only recommend to the stone deaf.

I have the the broadest range of musical taste of anyone i`ve ever come into contact with and that includes this forum judging by the what are you listening to now thread, so you`ll need to be more specific.

Now that sounds like a challenge to me! I don't have a wall of CDs, due to space constraints, but they range from Debussy, Wagner, Copland, through old 60s pop, ballads, jazz, r&b, indie, New Age, a bit of folk and ethnic, musical soloists, the 40s, but I don't think I've got any 'songs from the shows', although I used to have 'Cats' and 'The Rocky Horror Show' - I might still, but I haven't played them in ages. What's the range of our august forumites' taste, then? :)

I go through classics ( beethoven, mozart mostly ) like the proper R adn B, love swing, jazz and punk rock, like pop music,rock,some rap,the new fangled RnB is ok, the only music i dont own and cant really get my head around is opera. I learnt classical piano and flute,and still occasionally do a bit, and have done backing vocals of all types of music.

Yup - think that makes my musical taste fairly wide ranging and varied.... :lol:

My taste encompasses all the following genre`s:

Metal - Metallica, Iron Maiden, SOAD, Deftones

Extreme Metal - Xasthur, Emperor, Burzum

Progressive Metal - Isis, Neurosis, Mastadon.

Indie - The Smiths, Stone Roses, Radiohead

Pop - Madonna, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks

Hard Rock - Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns n Roses.

Post-Rock - Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Sigur Ros.

Rap/Hip Hop - Wu-Tang Clan, N.W.A, Gnarls Barkley.

Country - Johnny Cash

Folk Rock - Neil Young, The Pogues.

Jazz - Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker.

Classical - Bach, Wagner, Shostocovich.

Electronic - Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, Chemical Brothers.

Ambient - Raison D`etre, Lustmord, Sephiroth.

Punk - Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, NomeansNo.

Progressive Rock - The Mars Volta, Pink Floyd.

Post-Punk - The Pixies, Husker Du.

Grunge - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains

Industrial - Coil, Ministry.

Singer/Songwriters - Nick Cave, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen.

See- my biggerst problem is that i dont understand al the different names of the types of music!! Would Shania Twain be country or pop? Are Keane pop,rock or indie?

etc etc.....

That list makes me laugh: how the flower children of the 1960s would be aghast at today's endless labelling - and love of labels! Seems you must be defined by tags on your clothes, tags on your shoes, tags on your rucksacks/bags, and by the labels on your CDs. When I was thinking eclectic tastes, I kinda put all of 'pop' into one basket, without thinking that that would be incomprehensible - it would need at least 20 further refinements!

Krizon - In the 1960s there just wasn`t the variety of music that we have today, each of those labels are righteous because the sounds the bands make are so different.

Tridij - Keane are like Coldplay, indie roots but verging on pop nowadays.

Now started " The Pickwick Papers " - start of a planned old classics attack . Old Goriot by Balzac next.

Read Ghostwritten by David Mitchell when i was away too . That was a terrific book.

We had to read 'Old Goriot' at skool. In English, fortunately. (Pee - have you any idea how wonderfully Pseuds Corner your riposte sounds?) :lol: It was, if I can remember accurately that far back, quite pleasant, if slightly bloated, as so many of the 'Classics' seem to be. Though little touches Henry James for over-inflating descriptions. I struggled with the bugger when I joined a WEA group back in the 60s. The Spoils of Poynton and The Europeans passed reasonably and thankfully briefly, then The Golden Bowl (mostly read) but by the time I got to The Ambassadors, I was floundering in three pages-worth of purple prose to just describe the flipping drawing-room! :what: And those names! :lol:

Back