Born to Sea

Very impressive from Born to Sea, but 6.1 for the Guineas?!!! It's a shame Crusade didn't run because he'd have been an interesting yardstick having taken care of the Lyons runner up easily enough last time.

Thank God I didn't read your post about Azamata as I had a bit of a touch on the winner. It didn't look a great race and there was a small few bob for the winner, a well bred yoke. Looked impressive. As did Born To Sea. He beat a bunch of yaks but still, couldn't do much more.

The winner of that 6.00 looks a good one alright. Azamta is alright so the winner should go to better things. You make a good point about the listed race. Experience and co are all well exposed in my opinion and it was not pocket science to work out that a John Oxx horse making it's debut in a listed race was going to be smart. Overall this year our 2yo have been disappointing.

Well done on backing the winner by the way! Doing my brains in on Azamanta is softened now I know that Cantoris Ltd has more cash to throw at the sales!

Very taking performance - not as good a looker or mover as STS but some engine by the looks of it . What a sensational mare Urban Sea was .

Very taking performance - not as good a looker or mover as STS but some engine by the looks of it . What a sensational mare Urban Sea was .

I'd love to see how Timeform or even our speed ratings lads rate the race. I'm certain he has not needed to break an OR of 96 to win this granted he is entitled to improve bundes. There was a very good point on the Betfair forum that the sire does not produce 3yo but does produce speedy 2yo. It's fair to say that the 6/1 quotes for the Guineas are embarrassing unless they are due to a massive liability.

Easy now; the wound from Raydan is still fresh!

At the time Raydan was my biggest ever lay -the ground was atrocious and as he got shorter and shorter in the betting I kept laying him.After the race I was convinced that I could make a living from betfair.

Oxx was quoted as saying that BTS is a more precocious type than his half brother and but for sore shins would have been ready to go last April or May. Hardly jumps off the page as a Derby horse but could be of serious interest in the guineas - runs in the group 3 Killavullen Stakes over 7f at Leopardstown next and this will be his last race this year.

Into 10/1 now and that's being taken. The sire has serious questionns to answer. Is the Killavullen stakes not more of a Derby triak?

"Interested as to how you think the sire has serious questions to answer?"

Hamm, perhaps Gearoid has doubts on the stamina front, if you are talking about Born To Sea as a classic prospect.

A number of Invincible Spirits highest rated offspring have produced those performances at up to seven furlongs but there is a scattering of stayers there, notably Allied Powers out of a High Line mare who is a multiple winner over 12 furlongs.

Into 10/1 now and that's being taken. The sire has serious questionns to answer. Is the Killavullen stakes not more of a Derby triak?

The best of the recent winners were Footstepsinthesand who, of course, won the Guineas and Grey Swallow.

Dubai Prince looked promising last year but has disappeared. Other winners were such as Frost Giant, Confuchias, Jupiter Pluvius, Rayeni and Free Judgement.

Mind you, the Beresford wasn't much of a Guineas trial before you know who.

The Beresford will always be a Derby trial. Oxx just threw everyone a curve ball with that one. It will be a long time before another horse does that double.

John oxx described him as close coupled and not as rangy as his brother and with a more rounded action he may be averse to fast ground

invincible spirit in the main does better with 2 year olds and sprinters like fleeting spirit hooray and moonlight cloud the one notable exception being lawman
the lowther, cheverly and july cup seem to be the main feature on the cv's of his better rated progeny

that said red rum was bred to be a sprinter so one can buck the trend

he was impressive on saturday no doubt

i think the other oxx 2 yr old that one the previous week may turn out to be Oxxs best for next year

the 2 year old that impressed me most so far is the Charlton 2 year old that won at newnbury but there is unfortuantly a slight doubt as to whether he will be seen again this season

didnt giants causeway win the killavalun

Last edited:
Has any bookmaker quoted a price on Born To Sea doing the Guineas/Derby double? I somehow managed to quote 100/1 and laid it to lose 40k. Should I be sweating already?!

Has any bookmaker quoted a price on Born To Sea doing the Guineas/Derby double? I somehow managed to quote 100/1 and laid it to lose 40k. Should I be sweating already?!

As long as it's Ladbrokes money it's ok! :D I really like the horse already but 100/1 the double is awful value - should be more like 250/1 the double - 25's for the Derby at least and when was the last guineas with a ease in the ground. It looks to me (although very early to tell) that he needs an ease with that round action of his.

Back