Born to Sea

Ay? How can you compare a stallion to a mare?

Urban Sea is the greatest broodmare of the last 10 years without question - Even if Born to Sea is not as good as his more illustrious siblings he's still won a stakes race on debut and on that basis will more than likely end up a group winner. Whether he wins a group 1or not is a different matter but from memory, at least three (Galileo, Sea the Stars & Black Sam Bellamy) have won group 1's and some of the others were no mugs either.

Galileo is quite a handy stallion as well apparently.

I know all that thank you.
I am not saying she is or she isn't, I am just saying that in spite of who the parents both being champions does not a champion make.

It was the Dubai Millenium reference I was confused by.

Having a proven producer as your mother certainly helps, otherwise nobody would bother with pedigrees.

DM was proclaimed a superstar, not by everyone, and had his pick of top class mares in what was his only season, but not every mating produced a superstar.

Yeah but as I said before, what does that have to do with broodmares? The link between Sea the Stars and Born to Sea is their Mum. Not their Dad.

1996 - Urban Ocean, Group 3 winner
1997 - Melikah, Listed winner, English Oaks third, Irish Oaks second.
1998 - Galileo, English & Irish Derby winner + King George.
1999 - Black Sam Bellamy, two times Group 1 winner.
2000 - Atticus, unraced.
2001 - All Too Beautiful, Oaks second and Group 3 winner.
2002 - My Typhoon, Grade 1 Diana Stakes winner in the States and multiple stakes winner.
2003 - no foal.
2004 - Cherry Hinton, Group 3 placed, 5th in Oaks.
2005 - Sea's Legacy, unraced.
2006 - Sea The Stars, Guineas, Derby and Arc winner, plus multiple other Group 1s.
2007, 2008 - no foal.
2009 - Born To Sea, Listed winner on debut, more to come...

I would say if your Mum is Urban Sea you are pretty much guaranteed to be half decent, and in all likelihood you will be very good indeed. An absolutely incredible record.

There is a bit of misinformation about Dubai Milennium above.

He had a single crop of 56.

Of those, 35 raced, an average of 63%.
He had 17 winners, an average of 30%.
These won 43 races and £1.4mn.
He had 5 stakes winners, an average of 9%. This 9% average underestimates the quality of the stakes won, with 3 Group 1's, 1 Group 2 and 6 Group 3's.

This was an impressive start, with 1 top notch horse and a couple of decent supporting acts (Belenus and Echo of Light) in his first crop.

What's more, that top notcher (Dubawi) went on to produce top sons himself and is now established as a top sire in his own right.

I wouldn't classify Dubai Milennium's stallion career as a failure; he obviously didn't have enough numbers to make a conclusion, but he did fine.

There are way better examples of top horses not doing their stuff.

There is a bit of misinformation about Dubai Milennium above.

He had a single crop of 56.

Of those, 35 raced, an average of 63%.
He had 17 winners, an average of 30%.
These won 43 races and £1.4mn.
He had 5 stakes winners, an average of 9%. This 9% average underestimates the quality of the stakes won, with 3 Group 1's, 1 Group 2 and 6 Group 3's.

This was an impressive start, with 1 top notch horse and a couple of decent supporting acts (Belenus and Echo of Light) in his first crop.

What's more, that top notcher (Dubawi) went on to produce top sons himself and is now established as a top sire in his own right.

I wouldn't classify Dubai Milennium's stallion career as a failure; he obviously didn't have enough numbers to make a conclusion, but he did fine.

There are way better examples of top horses not doing their stuff.

I agree
but Echo Of Light was better than decent, he had his quirks but had a very very good engine.

What happened to the two unraced offspring of urban sea?
I was wondering the same myself, del boy, particularly about Atticus. Sea's Legacy was presumably injured and too badly to race - he was sold in 2008 to someone by the name of Hamed Alattiyah for 10,000 guineas. Not bad for a horse of his breeding, so he must have been crocked very badly. The general consensus was that he'd go off and be a cheap stallion somewhere based solely on his breeding but that doesn't appear to have happened yet.

Atticus is a bit stranger, he never raced so was obviously injured too, and being in the hands of Coolmore you'd think they'd find him a place to be a low key stallion somewhere, so I can only assume he's dead.

Will BTS get it done this weekend. Tomorrows decs will be eagerly awaited - looks like there could be at least two really good pattern two year old races at Leopardstown on Sunday.

Will be not he not be a prohibitive price in comparison to his ability. I think we have gotten the maximum return on this horse hacking him the last time. The whole world knows now.

You're probably right, but that doesn't stop me from looking forward to watching him run. It's not just about the betting opportunities.

I look forward to seeing him too. I hope the ground is not too soft given all the rain at the weekend.

I was wondering the same myself, del boy, particularly about Atticus. Sea's Legacy was presumably injured and too badly to race - he was sold in 2008 to someone by the name of Hamed Alattiyah for 10,000 guineas. Not bad for a horse of his breeding, so he must have been crocked very badly. The general consensus was that he'd go off and be a cheap stallion somewhere based solely on his breeding but that doesn't appear to have happened yet.

Atticus is a bit stranger, he never raced so was obviously injured too, and being in the hands of Coolmore you'd think they'd find him a place to be a low key stallion somewhere, so I can only assume he's dead.

Sea's Legacy was exported to Qatar at the end of 2008 but there's no update at all on Atticus - he hasn't been recorded as dead (although that doesn't mean he isn't, of course); he doesn't have a stallion registration for UK & Ireland although he's still recorded as entire and he hasn't been exported.

Best Prices

4/6 Born To Sea
11/4 Nephrite
16/1 Aaraas
16/1 Seanie
20/1 Ishvana
33/1 Vault
66/1 While You Wait

Likely Betting W/O Prices

4/6 Nephrite
13/2 Aaraas
13/2 Seanie
8/1 Ishvana
14/1 Vault
28/1 While You Wait

I'll be taking any 13/2 or 6/1 Aaraas W/O. He will be a big improver.

Fairly strong word for the Weld filly Princess Highway in the fillies maiden tomorrow, though I suspect the O'Brien yolk will be a warm order.

My interpretation of Oxx's comments re: BTS is that he'll love the soft ground.His action would indicate that also. His half bro Black Sam couldn't get it soft enough.

I hope you followed through, Luke. I got a text from a friend at the track just before the off to say Nephrite was the clear pick of the parade ring.

Back