Breeders Cup Meeting

...... The fact that he got beat every time that he encountered a Ballydoyle first string should not be held against him. Similar to Raven's Pass.

He won the Derby, but he was beaten in two Guineas by a genuine miler while he is a middle distance horse. He came back from injury to win a G1 at the end of a long hard season. Give the horse his due :o

Good horse. Not great. IMO. Sorry.

Any chance of it being NA surely disappeared when they bottled out of taking on Zarkava.

Turned out to be a very wise move going for the Classic for both RP and Henry . Goldikova would have been a hard nut to crack in the Mile for a great deal less cash

Last edited:
Surely you rate horses on what they have done not what they haven't done or attempted to do.I can understand why New Approach didn't run in the Arc -after a messy season and a comeback run in the International he won the Irish Champion Stakes where there was every chance that he could have bounced.The Arc was possibly a week too early for him.
It would have been interesting to see him run tonight.I have no doubts he would have beaten Ravens Pass at Newmarket last week.

Complete and utter bollocks. Should be in the Arse Cup thread. Fabulous two days of racing.

Have to agree - but such a good European performance would make anything seem as good.

Have to say I've enjoyed the last few weeks of the season more than any other flat season (since 2000-2003 anyway). Some fantastic results, none more so than tonight.

And tonight was all the more enjoyable for the company and shared enjoyment - sometimes this place drives me mad but on nights like this it really is the place to be

Hmmm, I seem to remember being laughed at in the summer when I said I thought Rave's Pass would be better over 1m2f......:D

@Shadow- just as good, hm? He was pretty decent at a mile and just happend to run into one just as good over that trip too. ;)

On the other hand, w/o wanting to take something away from the spectacle which I enjoyed immensly too, I just wonder whether the great European result is down to the new track only, or has something to do with the stricter medicine-rules (will not be the correct term, but...) already ?

I'm ashamed to admit it but I didn't see any of the Breeder's Cup races (I 'aven't been well and was knackered after getting back from Chepstow:o).

I am interested in the complimentary comments on the surface. Are they based on feedback from connections?

The fact that the American-trained horses have done less well than in the past suggests that future BC meetings won't be held on Pro-Ride.

Ravens pass horse of the year for me great run by both first and second

watching the race on ruk it seemed a lot of sour grapes by the american commentators after the race straight into discussing curlin rather than ravens pass's victory

The fact that the American-trained horses have done less well than in the past suggests that future BC meetings won't be held on Pro-Ride.

probably u are correct

maybe though the american horses need to take their medication as well

Note how there was no complaints from anyone about the surface when Midnight Lute followed up last year's Sprint win, or Zenyatta won on Friday... or indeed at all until Curlin's eclipse showed up the complete lack of strength in depth in US racing right now.

I understand that next year's BC is being held at Santa Anita too. In fact I would think that the success of European horses will hasten the tearing up of dirt tracks in the US and also force the Americans to up their game - if you can't beat them join them. The lack of any tragic incidents will only help the pro-ride and other polytrack camps.

It will also deepen the debate about steroids and other drugs - if we can get better horses without them, what does that mean?

Complete and utter bollocks. Should be in the Arse Cup thread. Fabulous two days of racing.

Absolutely. Thoroughly enjoyed it as well (despite watching it on a desktop!)

I would loved to have been there this year and am seriously considering going next year, but I don't think it should remain at Santa Anita (or any other track for that matter).

I would imagine we will see the big players "target" the Breeders Cup more next year. If Coolmore, Godolphin etc land the Guineas or Derby you could see them on a summer break, return for the Irish Champion and then the Classic.

Whats more, bar Duke Of Marmalade I did not see any of the other Ballydoyle horses run "over the top" like was widely reported...Yeats confirmed that again today.

Last edited:
Yes, RP is good at a mile and has proven himself at such a trip, Crazyhorse, but you could just argue that he may well have improved a little for the step up in trip for a couple of reasons at least - he won so easily that he was pretty much laughing at them, including beating HTN further and a lot more easily than he has done in the past, and he has just beaten pretty much the world's best horses in arguably the most competitive and difficult to win 1m2f event of the year.

I notice it's gone exceptionally quiet from those quarters that ridiculed me for suggesting such a step up in trip, hmmm?!?! :D

I have no qualms in putting my hands up and admitting I had my doubts as to whether Raven's Pass would stay a stiff mile, much less 10 furlongs, before the QEII. I was wrong (clearly!)

5 Euro winners -10/1. Anyone have it ?
Had to go out after the third race so missed the races live. Smullen gave his winner a great ride. Cracking racing.

Back