Breeder's Cup Meeting

]
All she did was pick off horses who had gone too fast early doors ]

I thought they didn't go that quick early to be honest. I wouldn't rate her in Zarakava's league but it was a majestic performance, she wasn't going a yard in the first two furlongs.

No, Euro, ZENYATTA didn't - or else what you're saying is that entire field was ridden by numpties bar one (Mike Smith), under instructions from idiots - now that's pushing the barrier of credibility a weeeeeeeny bit too far!

Can't see why people would question her class. Sea the Stars was never spectacular either.

I'm not questioning her class, just that the WOW factor wasn't there for me. I regard STS's Eclipse as pretty spectacular- mainly because of the animals he was putting in their place.

No, Euro, ZENYATTA didn't - or else what you're saying is that entire field was ridden by numpties bar one (Mike Smith), under instructions from idiots - now that's pushing the barrier of credibility a weeeeeeeny bit too far!

Really? You should watch a replay of this year's Kentucky Derby...

Watching Goldikova's race again and listening to the commentry again I realise how bad Trevor Denman is at commentating. I would think from the turn in he named around two horses out of the whole field - just awful throughout the meeting. Tom Durkan is hugely missed. How much longer does ESPN have the contract for the Breeders Cup?

Not sure, but it's a shade dissapointing the whole meeting wasn't shown on terrestrial TV in the states. Given it was a Saturday afternoon, I'd imagine ABC were showing college (American) football.

Interesting piece by Wood. I certainly share his views regarding Queally and Murtagh; however unseemly it may have looked, neither were contravening the rules of racing in the jurisdiction they were riding in.

He's gotten the Ballydoyle thing wrong though; as correct as he was in stating that the notion that it was the lack of medication that was behind the poor showing of many of the Ballydoyle horses is total rubbish, O'Brien stated before the meeting that he wasn't making the decision out of any principle. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ballydoyle horses back on Lasix next year.

Last edited:
just that the WOW factor wasn't there for me

I must have watched the wrong race....

Was that massive filly that trounced the field from way back without seeming to break sweat and from a normally awful position running at Turfway or somewhere? must have a word with the cable men...

Alan Lees article in the times summed up the attitudes of european connectiosn nicely. Suprised it hasnt been commented on. He slams the balance sheet breeding, count the pennies attitude of european (and asian we must assume) multimillionaires who act as if they are struggling to meet ends meet and compares and contrasts with the US attitude. Not saying i would be so partisan as he is in the views, but has a point....

Can you put a link for to Lee's article Clive? Surprising comments considering he did not want Sea The Stars to travel to America because he had nothing to prove.

On that theme, I would be interested to know what the average price of the yearlings running in the 2yo races was. Without having looked into it in any detail, I would guess it was relatively low for the caliber of race.

Seems to happen year in, year out as well.

He slams the balance sheet breeding, count the pennies attitude of european (and asian we must assume) multimillionaires who act as if they are struggling to meet ends meet and compares and contrasts with the US attitude.

What attitude is this? Rachel Alexanda's owner spits the dummy out because he doesn't fancy the surface the Classic is run on and Curlin's owner last year was just a tool.

American racing is one dimensional and just plain boring compared to what we have over here. Maybe that's why the Classic didn't bowl me over, or maybe it's because after Champions Day i'm more interested in the Jumps.

Wish i could link the piece...i dont agree with it all but overall point about how when we have a champion ...he disappears...is valid enough...and how that isnt great for the sport

I can understand why some dislike american racing even if i dont

I really enjoy the Breeders Cup meeting every year....we often accuse the Americans of being insular but I think many peoples reaction to the meeting shows the Brits/Irish in the same light. The idea that STS (or indeed any past Euro Champion) had nothing to prove in the States (when in truth we did not have a grasp on the form over there) highlighted that for me.

If you come across that article stick it up cheers.

So, all things considered, what's the forum concensus on STS vs ZENYATTA - STS to win going away, or a fearsome battle of guts up the straight? Both have fabulous finishing power, that much we know, so it could've been a very close-run thing. Or not!

What attitude is this? Rachel Alexanda's owner spits the dummy out because he doesn't fancy the surface the Classic is run on and Curlin's owner last year was just a tool.

American racing is one dimensional and just plain boring compared to what we have over here. Maybe that's why the Classic didn't bowl me over, or maybe it's because after Champions Day i'm more interested in the Jumps.

To be fair the owner of Rachel and the owner of Curlin' are the same chap. You can have as much as you like that if Curlin had won last year then Rachel would have been in the Classic this.

Simply cannot find the article. Its the only one missing and makes me wonder if there had been some kickback... although cant really see why there should have been.

Whatever anyone thinks of STS, he (or his connections...not sure the horse had much say) ducked the challenge. Its disappointing at the very least. When the best horses in the US are competing, then there is something to prove and (Rip apart) im not entirely sure that hes beaten a wonderful bunch this year either (unlike Dancing brave who really did beat a great arc field)

No idea whether he would beat Z but even if this season had been "long and hard" then there was always next year

Its an old debate, but Alan lees point is that the sport gives alot to the owners when they have a great horse (not as always assumed ...the other way round) and a bit of sporting verve and the chance to grab the imagination of the wider public (arguable that STS only really became truely high profile after the arc) with the resultant boost to the sport (which needs it) should have been taken. I agree...

By that logic, all of the US horses 'ducked' the challenge of coming to Europe and taking on Sea The Stars in a major international race like the Arc.

Also, connections in the US are just as quick to retire a horse. The gelding Funny Cide apart, it's been over a decade since a Kentucky Derby winner has raced at 4. In the same period of time, Sir Percy, North Light, High Chaparral and High Rise have all been kept in training in the season after their Epsom success.

Lucky for the connections from a commercial point of view that the biggest challengers out there where fillies. They didn't have to worry about Sts being usurped by Rip who he'd beat , Rachel who wasn't turning up or Zen who ...er....doesn't have a willy. I didn't agree with the nothing to prove notion but with the current European dominance in breeding and the scenarios highlighted above it was an easy business decision for them if not a sporting one.

But, do Europe currently have a dominance in breeding? It seems to be that Coolmore dominate Europe, but how many Galileos, Montjeus and Danehill Dancer's are running in the US? But, European racing still features many expensive purchases of offspring of US based sires.

Sea The Stars travelled to a foreign country in August to contest one of the biggest and most prestigious Group 1 races of the season.

Only one serious contender turned up to take him on.

Not one contender turned up from the country where the race was held.

Not one contender turned up from any other country in the world, except Sea The Stars' own.

Who's guilty of ducking a challenge?

I agree. How many American horses have come to Europe in the past 10 years? Compare this to the number of Europeans going inthe opposite direction.

In fairness there are obvious reasons why they do not travel. An Arc winner is not going to be that popular for breeding purposes in the States given the dominance of dirt. And so many of the Group 1's run for a fraction of the price over there.

They travel to Dubai - where the money is.

In fairness there are obvious reasons why they do not travel. An Arc winner is not going to be that popular for breeding purposes in the States given the dominance of dirt.

They also realise they haven't a hope in hell of ever winning the race.

Back