Breeder's Cup Meeting

I think MCM is a massive negative as he is not the fastest breaker in the world.

He's got the inside draw in 1, which should help him get the position he needs. It's not the strongest of divisions this year and a Pheonix Stakes style performance would kill them in this. Too short a price I'd agree, but it shouldn't stop him winning.

Last edited:
If he breaks well, the 1 draw is ideal, if he does not then he is in big big trouble as he will be swamped early on.

If he breaks well, the 1 draw is ideal, if he does not then he is in big big trouble as he will be swamped early on.

This can happen in large fields. But with only a maximum of nine opposing him, I'm relaxed about that.

I see it as a real tough test for MCM. While i'm not sure about the strength of the division, and the targets of the better members, traditionally sprints in america are more over 6 1/2 and 7 furlongs it seems than 6, with the met mile being a popular choice for some too (for instance the excellent swept overboard). Although the surface favours him, i would have no confidence that he'd beat a horse of swept overboard's calibre.

By the way, I was looking for a good performances package perhaps with some detailed previews and such. Would anyone have anything they'd rank higher than the Daily Racing Form's?

Anyone have an opinion on Midshipman?

I find it hard to see MCM winning, and I think his current price needs laying, and possibly for a place as well.

Looks like more than one favourite is running wide this year Lookin At Lucky (8/5 fav Juvenile) goes from stall 13 and Interactif goes from 11 in the Juvenile Turf.

I think Mastercraftsman is better at 10 furlongs than a mile, but does not stay it well enough against top top class animals. That make sense?

I think Mastercraftsman is better at 10 furlongs than a mile, but does not stay it well enough against top top class animals. That make sense?

Yes! I find it hard to explain exactly why I will be against him, time of the year and difficult season aside.

I think he would have finished ahead of RVW in the main event. Whether that is good enough to win it I don't know.

Anyone have an opinion on Midshipman?

I find it hard to see MCM winning, and I think his current price needs laying, and possibly for a place as well.

Midshipman is plausible. He won the Juvenile last year is drawn well (3) and breaks well. At around 6/1 he is a fair price. I fancy Mastercraftsman will prove too good for him though.

I think he would have finished ahead of RVW in the main event. Whether that is good enough to win it I don't know.

...maybe not the Classic, but the Dirt Mile should be much easier. He's the type that will do better at a mile than 10 furlongs in a fast run race at SA.

Last edited:
I see it as a real tough test for MCM. While i'm not sure about the strength of the division, and the targets of the better members, traditionally sprints in america are more over 6 1/2 and 7 furlongs it seems than 6, with the met mile being a popular choice for some too (for instance the excellent swept overboard). Although the surface favours him, i would have no confidence that he'd beat a horse of swept overboard's calibre.

Not quite sure what you mean here Hugh. But as far as I can see there are no horses close to MCM's "calibre" running in the Dirt Mile (assuming a long season does not take its toll).

The Classic will be a fascinating race to watch from a tactical standpoint. Zenyatta seems to take a while to hit top gear, which might play into Rip Van Winkle's hands if he sits handy and kicks on turning in.

Do we not remember O'Brien saying that he had his doubts about whether Rip Van Winkle actually got 10 furlongs after the Eclipse? I reckon he's a far more mature horse at this stage, but if that's borne out it would certainly then play into Zenyatta's hands perhaps?

I dont like the way o'brien is always coming out about problems with Rip before all his races and especially this one it may be a case that he knows Rip doesn't like the surface or something like that.I would love him to win it though he is a serious machine when you see him up close

10 furlongs at Santa Anita is nothing like 10 furlongs at Sandown Park.

Fair point. I'm usually quick to counter that with the fact they tend to far more of an end to end gallop in the States, but that doesn't really apply here given that they went a very generous gallop from the off at Sandown.

I'll certainly be looking to back Rip Van Winkle with the American tote on the night.

By Jay Privman
ripvan_220x300_110609.jpg
Edward Whitaker/Racing PostRip Van Winkle, winning the Queen Elizabeth II at Ascot in September, has "had issues throughout the year" with his feet, trainer Aidan O'Brien said.ARCADIA, Calif. - The battle cry all year for European standout Rip Van Winkle has been "feet don't fail me now." After his first tour of the Santa Anita main track on Wednesday morning, trainer Aidan O'Brien said he was satisfied with the way Rip Van Winkle, who is scheduled to run in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic on Saturday, is dealing with the latest problem in his troublesome feet.
"He's had issues throughout the year," the soft-spoken O'Brien said outside the quarantine barn in Santa Anita's stable area.
"His off hind," O'Brien said, referring to his right hind foot, "gave him a little trouble a week ago. He had a very bad infection in his heels over the winter, and it's been in all his feet. The walls are weak. It's amazing he's been able to race at all. We've been swimming against the tide all season."
Michael Tabor, who owns Rip Van Winkle along with Susan Magnier, said Rip Van Winkle's feet are "a constant worry."
"His feet are a work of art, keeping them together," Tabor said. "They're wired up. It really is something. It's been very difficult to keep this show on the road."
Despite the obstacles, Rip Van Winkle has won twice in five starts. His losses were all in races won by Europe's best horse this year, Sea the Stars. Rip Van Winkle has won his last two starts, the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood on July 29 and the Queen Elizabeth II at Ascot on Sept. 26. The Classic will mark his first race on anything other than turf. It also will be just his second start in more than three months.
Rip Van Winkle got out of quarantine on Tuesday and was able to tour the main track's Pro-Ride surface with the rest of O'Brien's string on Wednesday morning. He merely jogged - "I didn't want to do too much," O'Brien said - but Rip Van Winkle became extremely hot, washing out badly on what was the coolest morning of the week here.
"I liked that he had a good sweat after traveling," O'Brien said. "I'd be more worried if he hadn't done that. I was very worried until this morning, but now I'm very happy."
O'Brien alternated between praise for Rip Van Winkle, and the sober analysis that running in the Classic was a great challenge, even for a horse with such immense talent.
"Rip is a very brilliant horse," O'Brien said. "He's the most natural athlete we've ever had. He's had a long, hard season."
O'Brien said Rip Van Winkle "won't do much the next few days" before racing on Saturday. He said it had yet to be determined if the Classic would be his final career start.

Aidan O'Brien feels Rip Van Winkle represents his best ever chance of winning the Breeders' Cup Classic.
O'Brien came close last year when Henrythenavigator finished second to Raven's Pass, while Giant's Causeway occupied the same position in 2000.
With Rip Van Winkle's well-documented foot complaint now seemingly healed, O'Brien has backed the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes hero to go one place better.
The star colt also gave off the right signals in an encouraging piece of work, in tandem with Ballydoyle's other Breeders' Cup challengers, at the racetrack on Wednesday morning.
O'Brien said: "They didn't do much, they just had a trot and a hack and all went well.
"I was very happy, having been a little worried about Rip, as the journey took a lot out of him.
"He's had a long, hard season but I was very happy with him this morning.
"It was the first time he'd had someone on his back since arriving in America and he didn't lose the movement.
"I like to see them having a good sweat after travelling and being in quarantine for so long - it gets the system clear.
"Rip is one of those horses who has no problems sweating. I'd have been more worried if he had not have been sweaty.
"His foot seems fine. There was a little bit of an issue on his off-hind - and that's one area that we haven't had a problem with before - but everyone's happy with it and it's been good the last week.
"He's a horse who is very exuberant and you could see from his action this morning that he was moving well.
"It was his first day on the track, and we didn't want to do too much in the heat.
"Rip is a very brilliant horse but has had a long season and has been swimming against the tide.
"He's probably the most natural athlete we've ever had.
"I have to be careful talking about him as the feel we got out of him this morning maybe makes you say too much.
"He hadn't been on this surface (Pro-Ride) until this morning, but he floated on it and is a beautiful mover.
"I suppose I've no doubt in the world that he is our best chance in the Classic, if the season hasn't taken its toll.
"If he's anywhere close to how he was at Ascot or Goodwood, then you'd hope and dream that he can win."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Aidan O'Brien doesn't think stall one will be a problem for Mastercraftsman in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile at Santa Anita on Saturday.
The Irish 2000 Guineas and St James's Palace winner retained morning line favouritism following the post draw but is considered vulnerable by some.
He said: "I don't think stall one will be a problem. Mastercraftsman's best ever run was over six furlongs and he wants a real hard, fast pace, which he should get in the Mile.
"I hope that at half-way he's not too far back. I think they will go that fast that you're best saving ground than being drawn on the wide outside.
"He's not used to racing over a mile at Polytrack pace but at Ascot, when we put loads of speed on, Johnny let him roll from halfway.
"He'll probably come from halfway again and hopefully get there in time."

Just watched Zenyatta canter this morning round the track at Hollywood Park and she is in really great shape. A big filly, she looks to have a great temperament as well although I gather she has her fair share of mood swings! I got some pics so I will try to post some when I get back to UK.

Word here is that the synthetic track at Santa Anita is riding slower than this time last year and those horses on the front end don't last home so it may be worth looking for late finishers.

Hope to get to Santa Anita to watch the BC team tomorrow - off there racing this afternoon so if I get any inside on any horses, I will post it up.

One horse I watched train this morning was ex-Simon Callaghan inmate, Red Alert Day. Recently gelded, he runs here at H Park on the 15th of this month. Hes done really well physically.

What about Murtagh? He was very poor on a couple of mounts last year notably Soldier of Fortune where he sat just off a sucidal pace.

Back