Breeders Cup

Fair enough - my point is Queally was as average tonight as he has been on horses he has won on in the past year or so; average jockey.

My point is to highlight the nonsense on here when he wins but it has little to do with him..

I was keeping track of Toms Group 1 wins this year but lost count. Terrible jockey. Can we bring his thread to the top to give the course and distance form of the Tom bashers.

I was keeping track of Toms Group 1 wins this year but lost count. Terrible jockey. Can we bring his thread to the top to give the course and distance form of the Tom bashes.

You missed out the other G1 they would have won but for his lack of nous- Twice Over in the Prince of Wales's Stakes :)

A pity Byword was not aimed at the Champion Stakes but with hindsight I would concede the best horse might not have won at Ascot. Although Byword did have the handicap of his jockey not having the english to say "I'm on the favourite... Let me out".

Didn't watch it last night but have viewed the replay several times this morning. I can only imagine the criticism of Queally was penned several days ago in preparation. I've never been a Queally apologist, but his ride on Midday was without obvious fault. The see-saw of adulation/condemnation is amusing at times, but is definitely getting old now.

Didn't watch it last night but have viewed the replay several times this morning. I can only imagine the criticism of Queally was penned several days ago in preparation. I've never been a Queally apologist, but his ride on Midday was without obvious fault. The see-saw of adulation/condemnation is amusing at times, but is definitely getting old now.

The error was moving her to the rail off a slow pace . It was a car crash that could be seen a mile off .

Ardross, Queally's won 10 Grade and Group 1s in the past two seasons. I'd say that was hardly the riding of a numpty, even if the horses were decent. As for MIDDAY, she was kept held by Kent Desormeaux on RED DESIRE throughout, who knew exactly who he wanted to beat. There was no room to move her off the rail unless Queally had given up the entire final bend, which would've been suicidal. Eventually, on the turn in, as a gap opens and Queally sets sail for it, Desormeaux excels himself by bashing into the horse next to MIDDAY and causing a bit of heavy barging. But, frankly, it really doesn't knock MIDDAY off her feet and she's a big enough filly to hold her own against it - which she does. She just doesn't have the extra speed to wear down the winner. Very simple story.

Last edited:
K - the error took place much earlier when he moved to the rail on a very slow pace and allowed himself to be trapped in .

HRAC said afterwards he was worried about the sharpness of the track . All Midday's best performances have been when she has had time to get rolling so why take her to the rail off a sharp track with a short straight off a slow pace ?

Don't ask me, guv! HRAC is equally at fault if those were the instructions to Queally, and however much we seem to be in love with him, Cecil can't really aftertime about being worried about the track's sharpness. If you're worried about it before, you plan your attack well before you even put the horse on the plane! We can't always play the blame game as if there's always only one decision-maker.

I take what you're saying, but to have done a ZENYATTA wind-up style in this race, she'd have had to have gone wide pretty much the whole way, in that case, circling the field, losing lengths on the turn where she would be at her least speed, and hoping to wind up faster and faster down the straight. I'm not sure that that would even have blown the winner off the map, to be honest. But, it's all about thoughts and what-ifs, once the horse doesn't win!

Don't ask me, guv! HRAC is equally at fault if those were the instructions to Queally, and however much we seem to be in love with him, Cecil can't really aftertime about being worried about the track's sharpness. If you're worried about it before, you plan your attack well before you even put the horse on the plane! We can't always play the blame game as if there's always only one decision-maker.

I take what you're saying, but to have done a ZENYATTA wind-up style in this race, she'd have had to have gone wide pretty much the whole way, in that case, circling the field, losing lengths on the turn where she would be at her least speed, and hoping to wind up faster and faster down the straight. I'm not sure that that would even have blown the winner off the map, to be honest. But, it's all about thoughts and what-ifs, once the horse doesn't win!

Maybe but Peslier set such a sedate pace that it would have been unlikely to take much out of Midday.

Are you really suggesting that if Midday had covered further ground, she'd have had a better chance of winning?

Back