Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

At Doncaster today there seemed to me a notable absence of some of the major players, and probably prices on the whole reflected this, in what from my experience of this sale, was overall poor quality. Gordon Elliot should get someone else to bid for him as he's paying inflated prices because everyone knows who is he. I believe he was genuinely pushed today to go higher than he really wanted as everyone knew who he was when he joined the bidding, and he paid, in my humble opinion , way over what the horses would have gone for if it had not been him bidding.
Interesting to see Stuart Parkin buying back some of his stock including a very nice mare, Pumped Up Kicks and her fabulous young foal, who was an absolute star, bless him.
Equally, a fabulous 8 year old Presenting mare who had a stunning filly foal only went for £6000, which was unbelievable. If I had the means to keep them, I would have bought them in a shot at that price.
As a post script, what a nice charming young man Dan Skelton is. :)

Last edited:
Donny yesterday: very mixed.
Really also think your luck as a seller depends on which auctioneer you get landed with as there is a huge gap between the very good and the downright 'can't be bothered'. ( I got him when my yearling sold).
A friend selling was pessimistic early on, and came out with some a very telling comment about the sale that "Not sure the sale knows what it’s trying to be, 2yo types or a competitor to Tatts Book 2...".
Personal opinion: people take the weight of the page rather than what is actually walking round in front of them as their basis for bidding. And it really, really annoys me. :(

I wonder how many of Willie's new recruits will be for Wylie. He's tragically lost a lot of good horses in the past 2 years and others under his ownership have been sidelined.

He's not had much luck with his young recruits either with a few riddled with issues, or not made the track at all. He's pretty much just down to Bellshill, Yorkhill and Voix du Reve nowadays.

A poor sale overall: a lot of the youngsters not sold or going for minimum money. Some have got real bargains but not sure a success overall as a sale.

My and Shade Oak’s filly by Telescope ( full sister to last year’s €30,000 colt ) goes to the National Hunt sale on Monday 11th November so they must think she’s ok.... [emoji1696]
cb15614dd8c0db7d3380909f29bdb660.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Fingers crossed Troods

Everything crossed !! I’m quite surprised to see her there, Peter sounded really down when he rang me to tell me we’d got a filly - I was expecting her to end up at Donny in January!! Fingers crossed she’s blossomed ( if there’s one thing grape does do well it’s throw lookers!) and she does well for us.

I don’t have any!! I’d meant to go up and see her over the holidays, but both the summer and half term went in the blink of an eye !! I’ve emailed and hopefully emma will be able to send me some though.

Was going to ask the same - were you planning to go? Might be worth emailing and asking them if they can take some pics? I have done that in the past for horses at sales if I can't get there, they are usually pretty accommodating.

Oddly enough, as I said in my post, emailing to ask for photos has crossed my mind.... [emoji12]

Last edited:
I meant from the sale. I have had pics sent from those before :) There are 3 cousins of my boys selling in that sale, so I was going to ask as not intending to go.

They usually send me some from the sales anyway - I’ve got a couple of the black sam filly from the first one ( though Brian and daisy still have her, so I can see her whenever I want!) and I got lots of the telescope colt because they were so excited about him.
I will ask though - it’s nice to follow them :)

Sold for £155k to Kevin Doyle ex professional footballer.:blink:

Edit archie gave correct figure below

Last edited:
Back