Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

Watching the Tatts Ireland sale as shortly two of the family due to go through shortly, boosted by the winning debut of She's A Rocca yesterday. The amazing dam who originally cost the owners £500 still having winners.

Watching the Tatts Ireland sale as shortly two of the family due to go through shortly, boosted by the winning debut of She's A Rocca yesterday. The amazing dam who originally cost the owners £500 still having winners.

Oh that would be nice, though I’m clearly going to have to rely on other members of Grape’s offspring to get a similar story [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] how did the ones you were watching for do?

My filly made €5000 on Monday - fairly pleased with that, the prices were really bad when I was watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that would be nice, though I’m clearly going to have to rely on other members of Grape’s offspring to get a similar story [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] how did the ones you were watching for do?

My filly made €5000 on Monday - fairly pleased with that, the prices were really bad when I was watching.

Well done! Do you know where she is going?
Haven't seen a lot but thought some were struggling to sell at all. One filly made 16k by Flemensfirth, (she looked nice from what I could see on the stream) the other filly was a buy back at 5k, which they will be disappointed with as they need to sell. They did have another one entered but was withdrawn a couple of days before.

Well done! Do you know where she is going?
Haven't seen a lot but thought some were struggling to sell at all. One filly made 16k by Flemensfirth, (she looked nice from what I could see on the stream) the other filly was a buy back at 5k, which they will be disappointed with as they need to sell. They did have another one entered but was withdrawn a couple of days before.

Yes - I tuned in about 10 lots before mine and lots didn’t seem to sell at all. Not ideal at all.

James black bought her - [emoji2368] hopefully she will have a nice life and be happy and well looked after.

A fun fact and a possible value angle for tomorrow's big race;-

Altior's 8th dam is the 5th dam of Southernair who finished third in the race in 1988 when it was a handicap. Conversely, Solomon Grey is 13/11 with 1985 runner up Buck House and 13/10 with Door Latch who was runner up in 1984.

Such useless information which might have taken weeks to unearth was reduced to minutes thanks to the thoroughbred family numbers. Which brings me to a question for those who have actually participated in the breeding side of the sport.

Do you make use of thoroughbred family numbers in your work or is it generally a fun but largely irrelevant periodic table of taproots? Furthermore, are there any sophisticated and comprehensive databases available for public use or am I stuck with building my own using what I can find on galopp-sieger, france-galop, pedigreequery, sporthorse-data, old timeform annuals, archived sales catalogues and so forth?

Also, Call Me Lord is 10/8 with Mistinguett (2nd in the 1996 Ascot Hurdle) and 10/9 with Count Campioni (2nd in 1999). There are no runners in the Lancashire Chase related to previous contestants.

My mare was a Kayf Tara and I was struggling to find a non SW stallion in the UK ( she couldn't have gone abroad for months without me- no seriously, she would have not taken or lost it), step in my friend Nigel, who researches/studies pedigrees , has helped out and had some recognition in the writing of books about stallions. He has set up his own 'database' but has fabulous knowledge. 5 generations back on both sides of the pedigree for my mare and my two boys' sire are two full brothers, and that was part of his research/suggestion for her mating plans. He uses a lot of written knowledge in the form of old form books. I can gladly ask him for you for sources? I know he uses pedigreequery amongst others for reference. I have a pile of sales catalogues to give him as well, and I know he uses those.

That would be genuinely appreciated, thank you!

I do like pedigreequery but as with wikipedia, it can suffer from inaccuracies due to the fact that anybody can update the site, add horses and so forth. Thankfully, most seem to contribute in good faith but it can not account for human error. I really like the layout of galopp-sieger but the jumps side is skeletal at best and frustratingly, the site does not allow outsiders to fill in the considerable gaps. As such, I am having to create my own databases which while terribly time consuming, is very much its own reward.

Shame your girl is an unhappy traveller as I have an inkling that Kingston Hill could develop into a handy jumps stallion for the price...

Last edited:
I'll gladly ask him for you.
My mare is sadly no longer here :( She hated any kind of change. Would get so stressed out, even if you changed fields you had to go with her and stay with her until she settled. In all other ways she was fabulous. Oh and wouldn't share her food. Miss her desperately.

Thank you :)

I am sorry to hear about your mare. In my very limited experience around horses, I have noticed that some of the more troublesome horses to manage also have the sweetest souls which can make difficult decisions all the more heart wrenching. Is this the girl who had that winner at Catterick last week? You may already be aware but looking at the thoroughbred family, the boy shares a maternal ancestor with the likes of Barathea, Polynesian and Soviet Line from the flat along with jumping greats Gaye Brief, Gaye Chance and Nupsala!

Thank you :)

I am sorry to hear about your mare. In my very limited experience around horses, I have noticed that some of the more troublesome horses to manage also have the sweetest souls which can make difficult decisions all the more heart wrenching. Is this the girl who had that winner at Catterick last week? You may already be aware but looking at the thoroughbred family, the boy shares a maternal ancestor with the likes of Barathea, Polynesian and Soviet Line from the flat along with jumping greats Gaye Brief, Gaye Chance and Nupsala!

Thank you , one of the worst days of my life when she was put down. Still cry over her two and a half years later. :( Yes Nigel has filled me in with her family tree!
She was good as gold, I had no real experience of handling horses before her. I couldn't have asked for more of her. She just didn't like change. Complete wuz bag in the pecking order in a field, one day literally standing behind me 'cos another mare was picking on her, but if you asked her to stand still, she'd be there two hours later. SM is like that and chilled out about everything except when he comes into the paddock before a race, then really on his toes and buzzing. Brodie, the 3 year old full brother idiot I have at home, is complete opposite. Doesn't know the meaning of stand still, don't do that, no Brodie, BRODIE NO!! Into everything he can get in to, picks up poo pickers and swings them, runs across the paddock with them, knocks over full barrows and thinks it's funny, and will try and do it again if you let him, tries to pull the plug out of the water trough after I've cleaned it and its refilling, putting hay out, he wants the bit you have in your hand, will literally follow me round trying to get into my pocket 'cos he knows I have treats in there........luckily every one at the yard loves him but if I had a Pound for every time one of them says...'do you know what your Brodie did today?' :)

I do enjoy how basically every horse fast and slow, big and small, mean and gentle, for all the quirks under the rainbow, has a notable relative or two. On one occasion as I watched a horse nonchalantly poop into his water, I thought to myself "hmm, that boy is related to Birds Nest".

Without wishing to be too schmaltzy, it does sound like your girl is still very much alive. For every lesson she taught about handling horses, for every memory which pops into your mind and for all of her boys' shenanigans and exploits, a very real part of her is still with you. She isn't gone forever. Just as the caterpillar becomes a butterfly, your girl has changed from a mass of bone and muscle to a part of you which you can experience, treasure and enjoy. She's also become a part of us who enjoyed reading about her so thank you for sharing her with us :)

I do enjoy how basically every horse fast and slow, big and small, mean and gentle, for all the quirks under the rainbow, has a notable relative or two. On one occasion as I watched a horse nonchalantly poop into his water, I thought to myself "hmm, that boy is related to Birds Nest".

Without wishing to be too schmaltzy, it does sound like your girl is still very much alive. For every lesson she taught about handling horses, for every memory which pops into your mind and for all of her boys' shenanigans and exploits, a very real part of her is still with you. She isn't gone forever. Just as the caterpillar becomes a butterfly, your girl has changed from a mass of bone and muscle to a part of you which you can experience, treasure and enjoy. She's also become a part of us who enjoyed reading about her so thank you for sharing her with us :)

Bless you - thank you. She's always with me.
There are really good pictures from Friday's race on Louise Pollard's website. SM (Rowley to me) is the colour of his sire and bigger than his Mum by far, but that expression/look is SO Molly. Made me cry. Brodie is much more physically like his Mum but has that look as well :)

If that's not a kind and thoughtful face, I don't know what is! He's adorable :)

Thanks for your PM and your help by the way. I tried to respond through there but it appears you're out of storage.

Whimsical though the 'prophet's thumbprint' story might be, a quick perusal of bloodlines shows that it is a myth. What is not a myth is that Arkle's two half-sisters have produced 310 descendants. Seven of them have raced under rules this year and one of them is running tomorrow (weather permitting) at Musselburgh. Here are the seven listed by age with their relation to Himself (The Distant Lady's sixth dam is the dam of Arkle).

4yo
7/1 High As Akite (IRE)
5yo
6/1 The Distant Lady (IRE) - entered in 2:15 at Musselburgh
6/1 One More Fleurie (IRE)
5/1 Time of Day (IRE)
6yo
6/1 Stooshie (IRE)
8yo
5/1 Why Lie (IRE)
9yo
6/1 Na Trachtalai Abu (IRE)

Of the 134 registered fillies/mares born before 2010, 62 (46%) have produced their own progeny leaving 54% which did not. Indeed, 28 (21%) of these mares were not given a name which coincidentally, is the same amount of unnamed colts out of 139 produced during the same period. Are these statistics in keeping with the breed in general or could it be suggested that the damline does not produce sound or useful looking foals? Indeed, are those statistics actually above average?

Rather ominously, there have only been two foals registered this year. A 5/1 Conduit colt out of Danztig More, and a 6/1 Affinisea filly out of Hannah Maud.

Back