Brexit

Brexit, Stay or Leave.

• Stay

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Leave

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
[h=3]Angela Eagle's office 'bricked' overnight[/h]
Angela Eagle's Wallasey constituency office had bricks thrown through the windows overnight, it is understood.
The police are said to have been called to the office and there are reports of abusive messages being received.
It comes as she launched her leadership challenge to Jeremy Corbyn yesterday.

That was in response to be involved called a fantasist and liar. You wouldn't understand of course but it's not something Im used to

That was in response to be involved called a fantasist and liar. You wouldn't understand of course but it's not something Im used to

I've just read the thread (cracking read by the way for those who weren't around at the time). Nobody called you a fantasist or a liar. You flew off the handle for no good reason and ended up threatening forum members with physical violence.

Pretty much a textbook hissy fit.

Hence while Theresa May merits being Tory leader does she really merit 4 years of executive power with no public mandate?

Britain has changed Prime Minsters 24 times since 1916, half of those without calling an election (BBC website)

The most recent being Brown, Major and Callaghan, so May should feel no compunction to call an election; and from a "public mandate" perspective nor should she in my opinion. The electorate are mandated to choose a government and it should be left at that. The PM is head of a team, not a dictator and as incumbent PMs regularly reshuffle their Cabinet members should the electorate be asked to vote on those changes too? No thanks

Anyway, the fixed five-year term law would need repealing which I believe requires the agreement of all Parties, and for all I know agreement in the Lords too

However, if agreement on repealing was reached, from a political perspective I do think May should consider an early election. With Labour in meltdown they are surely unelectable at present and with what appears to be Hard Left/Anarchic infiltration taking place will probably remain so for sometime: the '80s got nothing on this

So team leader Theresa May might be against an early election but her team might want it: democracy rules UK?

It's noteworthy I think that Owen Smith has remained Betfair's favourite to be next Labour leader despite Angela Eagle being the only one to formally stand

Perhaps even more noteworthy at present is the shortening of Smith to 3.35 and lengthening of Eagle to 5.7

A weakish market though

Dan hodges has always been worth following.

7m(((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges
19.45, 12 July, 2016. The precise moment the Labour Party died.

However, if agreement on repealing was reached, from a political perspective I do think May should consider an early election. With Labour in meltdown they are surely unelectable at present and with what appears to be Hard Left/Anarchic infiltration taking place will probably remain so for sometime: the '80s got nothing on this

So team leader Theresa May might be against an early election but her team might want it: democracy rules UK?

Yeah,...I don't begrudge her a good crack at being Prime Minister.
I just happen to think people who want her to go to the electorate have a pretty good case, which is what I was trying to challenge Benny on. I'm open minded.

Last edited:
Agree marble. The defence I would have is that she is hardly a million miles away from the past leadership but that would not always be the case and that's when it could be an issue

Fine words from Theresa May today but have we heard something similar before?
‘Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope’

Margaret Thatcher started her tenure by wrongly attributing that prayer to St Francis of Assisi so it probably didn't bother her conscience that she did all in her power to sow discord, error (ie lies), doubt and despair.

I have a gut feeling May actually means her words.

I have never voted Conservative before and would never plan to but if she were to end up delivering on her aims I could see me voting tory for as long as she is in charge.

But I won't be holding my breath in the meantime.

I forecast with some confidence that under her leadership the gap between the rich and poor will widen, ordinary people will become even more disaffected with politics and politicians and the UK will crumble into oblivion.

She means it

in fact it was a superb speech.

Laura put it beautifully on bbc. Sometimes politicians find the moment but sometimes the moment finds them

Last edited:
Watching lord bell. He once said that under thatcher they could have had a poster campaign that simply said fck off in big letters and they still would have won

true

i reckon may could stepped out out of no 10 and done the same

Good to see David Davis back in the Cabinet as Brexit Secretary

One of the few politicians I've got a lot of time for

Admittedly, the forecast disaster has not materialised on the back of the EURef result....however, I still maintain it is too early to comfortably assume that this means the Brexiters got it right.

The time to truly assess the impact of the vote, will be when we know the framework for our exit, and future trading relationship with the EU bloc.

That said, as an ardent Remainer, the impact of the vote has been nowhere near as immediately negative, as was predicted. That is a positive any way I look at it, but I think optimism needs to be tempered with a degree of caution - we're at the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end.

Last edited:
Back