Calico Cat

CC won a shade cosily in the end but talking through my pocket I'd say Graham Lee should have kicked on when he was still cantering. That form might be a wee bit better than your run-of-the-mill Class 5 midden.

Congratulations, Flame!

Last edited:
Well done Chris! You have got a nice horse there! Good luck for the future.

Last edited:
What a fairytale; I was willing him to win the other week and didn't realise he was running today with all the hype about Frankel. A nice thing to read about to end the day on. Congratulations.

Apparently has an official rating of 95.
... which would have been my concern from the outset. I'll keep an eye out for the OH's blog to see if they mention this but how many winners of divisions of Cl4 maidens at Thirsk end up with ratings of 95?

He may well still be well-handicapped but if not then some big prizes may well be out of reach unnecessarily.

It isn't my place to criticise Flame for the horse's campaign hence the questions I posed in the opening post of this thread. He's won a nice pot for being third but the Thirsk pot wouldn't have been worth much. And the handicapper has noticed him, as have punters, which is arguably worse. I could have understood the urgency of black typpe if we were talking about a filly but I know I'd have been urging the trainer to pick up some small pots against mediocre opposition before unleashing him in a really valuable race.

Very narrow view Desert Orchid-I don't know If Flame is interested in selling but he is worth a decent amount as a prospective jumper or flat racer abroad.I've watched Flames horses with great interest over the last winter had a few decent wins,few big place lays(some that went badly wrong) and I think the horses have been an absolute credit to connections in how often they have run and won.

Last edited:
I think there are a couple of Group and Listed races at The Curragh in late September/October which are often run on fairly heavy ground which might be suitable targets.I think The Curragh are fairly good with travel expenses.

If I knew I had an 90 rated horse at home I'd of held it up last for 6 months then smashed into it at big prices when the day was right, imagine having Calio Cat in a Handicap off 45 for the start of a new season as a 5 year old going off 200/1 with most firms and finishing the season off as the favourite for Cambridgeshire & November Handicap after Royal Ascot success.

Would be able to compete with the Shiekh's at the Sales, imagine coming home and telling your wife you beat Bin Suroor or John Ferguson to a £250k Galileo colt.

The Dynasty starts there.

I'd of named the colt - Thanks Calileo.

Last edited:
Back