Calico Cat

DO you may think he has been poorly placed but he has won just under 10,500 in prize money, won me 12,000 in bets, has achieved a mark of 95 and all within a month of his racing career starting.

You mention Ebors and races like that, and that very much is the aim with him, you do realise the last 3 years nothing under 97 has got a run in the Ebor ?. So a mark of 80 would have helped in what way exactly ~?

We have also been offered 200,000 for him, which I have turned down. I don't need or want to sell him.

He will now head to the Duke of Edinburgh handicap at Royal Ascot, but because he needs to have run 3 times to be eligible, we are likely to run on Saturday at York.

Chris

Last edited:
DO you may think he has been poorly placed but he has won just under 10,500 in prize money, won me 12,000 in bets, has achieved a mark of 95 and all within a month of his racing career starting.

You mention Ebors and races like that, and that very much is the aim with him, you do realise the last 3 years nothing under 97 has got a run in the Ebor ?. So a mark of 80 would have helped in what way exactly ~?

We have also been offered 200,000 for him, which I have turned down. I don't need or want to sell him.

He will now head to the Duke of Edinburgh handicap at Royal Ascot, but because he needs to have run 3 times to be eligible, we are likely to run on Saturday at York.

Chris
Chris you know much more about that side of racing than I do and I respected your running him at Chester enough to back him at something silly like 280. I'm tempted to say with a run under his belt and a proessional jockey on board he could conceivably have won the race as it panned out.

Presumably the betting winnings came from the thirsk win and he didn't look like wining that until the last half-furlong and if Lee had kicked on Noble Alan thre out CC might not have got there so your Chester return would have been slashed.

I mentioned the Ebor specifically because I know you need to be rated close to 100 to get a run, meaning you need to have a 110+ horse to win it. Surely a few easy pots then the KGV Handicap (btw, I thought now that CC has actually won it does get an OR?) to raise its profile and if it's still in the high 90s and maybe struggling to get in, a 4lb penalty in an ordinary race might do the trick.

I'm full of admiration for you, Chris. Just playing devil's advocate to an extent. I'll find it hard not to back CC in the Ebor regardless!

Always a sellers prerogative not to, but hard to imagine that 200k isn't a very good price for a horse that presumably had problems to have been let go so cheaply as a young horse. I'd imagine you could get a horse with a similar rating with his best days in front of him for less than half that and have the training fees for his career paid for. Each to their own though.

As others have said here and elsewhere, the way Chris has campaigned a number of his horses over the last few months is an eye opener to all who wrap their horses in cotton wool and have them pigeon-holed as requiring such specific circumstances. Keep it up!

Last edited:
With the winners priced @ 25/1 (x3),14/1, 7/2 and 100/1 over the last 6 years in the Ebor, it looks like ignoring the market horses is the way to go.

I'm sure the connections of Mudawin, etc, were all told they couldn't win.

Again Flame, thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck this season.

Last edited:
Think Cavalryman is a danger on his best form, and Gulf Of Naples is also a big player, but I think we'll be 3rd at worse and we might just do them for speed. I secretly do think he'll nearly win.

OK... just to be clear from the outset, this isn't another dig at Chris.

He's been entirely honest about the horse, which is refreshing, and one of the things he's told us is that the horse had suspensory problems. CC is also bred to be best with some give so is there an element of risk in running him on likely fast ground today?

I just think it would be a terrible shame for the horse and all connected with him if, after finally getting him to the track and runnning so well, racing him on fast ground might cause the suspensory problem to recur.

Back