Casela Park

It's a pity the video replays on ATR cut out immediately after the finish - a head on shot would have been very interesting.

held up and well behind, hanging left and right over 2f out, rapid headway and continually switched left and right entering final furlong, carried head high, finished strongly under hand riding, never able to challenge opened 10/1 touched 8/1

Paul Struthers reported on ATR as saying that a horse in these circumstances needs to be inspected twice after the race by a vet, on the second occasion an hour after the event, which must account for some of the delay.

Ok, let's give the positive first because it's pretty short. The horse carries his head high. I had a look back at his previous four or five runs and it's the way he goes.

God, now for the negatives. He normally races from the front and keeps on pretty well, even with his high head carriage. He was way behind today and I notice a colour change so not sure has he changed hands recently. He clearly takes a yank to the left and right a few times and the horse was running on himself before the yank. He's generally been ridden hands and heels in his races with the whip coming out late on. No whip today.

Looked very poor. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say but I reckon a long ban is coming. Was there much market movements. Sounds like it was backed.

Was a pretty amazing sight, although not one that had me instantly crying foul...

The horse seemed to be making life very difficult for the jockey, his head was all over the place - and is the jockey perhaps just not very good? Don't know much about him in fairness....

Stuff like this happens nearly every day now, just not always as blatant as this. Curley's runner at Yarmouth tonight was a prime example.

I see Casela Park is declared on Friday, should be even more interesting!

Was a pretty amazing sight, although not one that had me instantly crying foul...

The horse seemed to be making life very difficult for the jockey, his head was all over the place - and is the jockey perhaps just not very good? Don't know much about him in fairness....

He's no raw apprentice, in case anyone is under that illusion. Jason Behan's debut under rules was as far back as 1991 and he's had well over 1000 rides.

Anybody that had seen any of Allinit's pevious runs in this country could have predicted that a step up to 14f would not see it in the best of lights. More fool the lemmings that forced his price in to 5/1 just because Curely had trained a winner earlier on the card.

Yeah but the tactics they employed ensured they got him beat, hardly rode him to try and get the trip did they?!

Fair enough. Still - think incompetence is just as big a runner as skullduggery here tbh

Quite possibly tdk - I must admit that it's not as clear as some suggest that he was pulling the horse's head around. That looked more horse than jockey to me (although a head on would be needed to judge), but the decision to leave him isolated from the field early was strange (Tyrrell confirmed that the tactics were his) given how well the horse had run on its previous few starts when racing prominently.

I also don't know what exactly Eamon Tyrrell means by the following:

"The reason he didn't make the running today was he ran free at Leopardstown for me and ended up finishing fourth, and I thought if we dropped him in today it would make all the difference, especially with 9st 13lb on his back."

BY DAVID CARR 7:27PM 4 AUG 2010

TRAINER Eamon Tyrrell and jockey Jason Behan were referred to the BHA after being found in breach of the 'non-trier' rules following a controversial rideat Newcastle on Wednesday.

His effort on Casela Park in a 7f handicap was judged to have broken Rule B59.2(d), meaning the stewards considered the rider had intentionally failed to ensure that his mount had run on its merits.

Paul Struthers, head of communications for the BHA, said:
"Following an enquiry into the running and riding of Casela Park in the 3.50 at Newcastle today, the Stewards have referred jockey JJ Behan and trainer Eamon Tyrrell for being in breach of Rule (B)59.2, under subsection D of the Penalty Guidelines - ‘a horse which has intentionally been restrained and not let down'.

"The matter will be investigated and any future Disciplinary Panel enquiry amounts to a rehearing, so as always in these cases there is a possibility that the sub category might change, depending on the results of that investigation."

Top-weight Casela Park, who has won from the front but was waited with on this second run for the yard, was switched to centre from his stands' side draw after a couple of furlongs, made steady headway from rear and switched from over a furlong out, keeping on strongly in the last 100 yards for a never-near-to-challenge sixth, beaten just two lengths.

The ride provoked much comment but Curragh-based Tyrrell, who has been training for six years, defended the jockey, also based in Ireland, and said: "The horse is a very difficult ride. He has been all his life.

"The reason he didn't make the running today was he ran free at Leopardstown for me and ended up finishing fourth, and I thought if we dropped him in today it would make all the difference, especially with 9st 13lb on his back.

"The jockey himself has done nothing wrong. If they understood how difficult a ride this horse is they'd actually think the chap did a good job. In fairness to Jason I think if he had pulled his stick out and given him a smack he would probably have ended up over the rails."

Crikey lads, I'm not sure about this. I've seen a lot less get done for a long time. Behan is a senior rider, well able to ride a horse out to the line. While Tyrell may claim the horse is difficult, in none of his previous 5 races that I looked at did he through his head around, run to one side or do anything else. In fact, at Leopardstown he needed to be pushed along through the first few furlongs to get to the front. He does carry his head very high but I don't think he is ungenuine. He's been in front in most of his races and stayed there a few times and got caught close home a few more times. Tyrrell is just ducking for cover I'd say as he knows he's gonna get done for £5-10k and horse suspended. He has to support Behan too. If the horse was feeling the ground or something else, it might be a plausible explanation, or if an apprentice was on board. But nothign stacks up here, from the way he was placed in the race to the way he was ridden at the end.

As obvious a non trier as your going to see. No point reading anything else into it. Tyrells explanation looks weak. As Cantoris says he carries his head a tad high but he did everything he was asked at Leop. He tired in the straight after Behan made too much use of him but kept on ok and looks straight forward enough. Certainly not the monkey Behan was trying to make him look.

As obvious a non trier as your going to see. No point reading anything else into it. Tyrells explanation looks weak. As Cantoris says he carries his head a tad high but he did everything he was asked at Leop. He tired in the straight after Behan made too much use of him but kept on ok and looks straight forward enough. Certainly not the monkey Behan was trying to make him look.

Absolutely spot on. They hoped to knock the price out for the Musselburgh race on Friday and proceed to punt the life out of it. They'll be gutted.

Will there be more amateur dramatics tomorrow while they try to prove how difficult the horse is, in view of the forthcoming inquiry. It would look a bit odd if he scoots in perfectly behaved. I can't see a way that Tyrrell and Behan can come out of tomorrow's race with their reputations enhanced, surely he shouldn't run.

Eamon Tyrrell may well have cause to regret the following remarks about Casela Park, reported in today's Racing Post:

"I told him [Behan] not to kill him or get milled to finish third, as we wouldn't be able to go to Musselburgh - that's not stopping the horse or anything - and the owner agreed."

Not quite sure what "milled" means, and let's leave aside the implication that they had another day in mind, RULES (B)58, (B)59, (C)45 and (D)45 of the BHA's Rule Book cover the requirement for a horse to be ridden to obtain the best possible placing (be that third, or whatever):

The Rule does not allow exceptions for horses which do not obtain the best possible placing and therefore the Stewards should always initiate an enquiry on the day or ask questions rather than leaving it to the Stewards officiating at a following meeting when the horse runs. In helping to decide whether or not to hold an enquiry the Panel should view the video recording of the race.

In my Dublin schooldays 'mill' was another word for a fight, Prufrock. Basically he's saying he didn't want the horse getting beaten up for the sake of coming third.

Back