Champion Bumper

Not seen too much of what Phillip Fenton can do as a trainer so hard to comment but Dunguib definitely lived up to the hype. Great run from Morning Supreme too in the circumstances (front running, fast pace etc.)

Very disappointed in Oat Granola mind - was never going the pace.

Never seen a grade 1 Bumper like that in all my life

Take him out and it would still be a brilliant Bumper

The second horse is a lovely beast also - Some Present. He has a lot of scope physically and travelled nicely most of the way before staying on well to take 2nd.

Fair enough - I wouldn't know a lot of the peculiarities of most Irish trainers so I'll take your word for it!

I thought Some Present was pick of the paddock, didn't get to see Dunguib as he went down early on his own.

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=471719

1st: Dunguib - won Champion Bumper by 10 lengths
2nd (13l): Luska Lad - winner of three Bumpers before this race, hasn't run since
3rd: (7l): I Wonder Now - winner of single Bumper start before this race, hasn't run since
4th: (3.5l): Candy Creek - winner of Listed Mares Bumper at Aintree today
5th: (5.5l): Roberto Goldback - winner of Grade 2 Novice Hurdle at Leopardstown, beating future Albert Bartlett Hurdle winner Weapon's Amnesty; subsequently second to future Supreme Novice Hurdle winner Go Native

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=471719

2nd (13l): Luska Lad - winner of three Bumpers before this race, hasn't run since
3rd: (7l): I Wonder Now - winner of single Bumper start before this race, hasn't run since
5th: (5.5l): Roberto Goldback - winner of Grade 2 Novice Hurdle at Leopardstown, beating future Albert Bartlett Hurdle winner Weapon's Amnesty; subsequently second to future Supreme Novice Hurdle winner Go Native

Can I add to that...

3rd: (7l): I Wonder Now - winner of single Bumper start (beating Fosters Cross, since 3rd to Kimberlite King, 3rd to Mikael D'Haguenet and 9l maiden hurdle winner) before this race, hasn't run since.
5th: (5.5l): Roberto Goldback - winner of Grade 2 Novice Hurdle at Leopardstown, beating Weapon's Amnesty; subsequently second to Go Native
6th: (next county): Whatdoyousay - won a point at Tinahely, 6th to Copper Bleu at Newbury
7th: (next country): Razorlite - won a bumper by 10l on debut at Gowran, 3rd in maiden hurdle since, sh behind Shirly Casper
8th: (Next time zone): Moonlight Lady - won a bumper by 7l at Sligo (ok, ok), 3rd in maiden hurdle at Gowran since

Not bad.... :blink:

Sure what else would you expect from a Navan bumper? Didn't we sponsor one there ourselves?

Skorcher: pissed up in the prestigious Talking Horses NH Flat Race. Wasn't considered good enough to get on the boat.

I believe you did Grey. :D

Well what about tomorrow? A walk in the park or is it back to some level of reality? Obviously he is going to be very hard to beat, but interesting to see do we see a much better showing from Scilian Secret tomorrow....I wonder why Quel Esprit does not line up?

I think the RP Spotlight has it right:

POTLIGHT VERDICT: DUNGUIB looked a quite exceptional talent when spreadeagling his rivals in the bumper at Cheltenham and will be a warm order to follow up. There is a very real possibility that this more compact line-up has produced a stronger field than the Cheltenham race, thanks to the presence of four-time winner Luska Lad, unbeaten three-time winner Universal Truth, and the unexposed Sweeps Hill, but Philip Fenton's runner looks the real deal.

Dunguib is the best bumper performer I've ever seen; he's certainly better than Cousin Vinny but hasn't been gifted a better rating as yet. Tomorrow should change that.

Awesome performance.

In fairness to Cousin Vinny he was equally as impressive in this event last year.

Last edited:
Taking Ninetieth Minute as the yardstick on 150, Mikael D’Haguenet hit a time rating of 153 in the Ballymore and Silk Affair 141 (before weight for age) in the Fred Winter. It also means Dunguib hit 166 in the Bumper, which would put him alongside the likes of Montelado and Whither Or Which, etc

...from my review of the Wednesday at Cheltenham.

I'm not usually an odds-on backer but there's a strong argument in favour of 9/10 being excellent value today. I don't get the chance to follow the Punchestown festival so no bets for me this week.

He is definitely the best bumper horse I've seen. He showed the same effortless acceleration today as at Cheltenham.

Would he be worth campaigning on the flat? What sort of rating would he be worth?

Back