Champion Bumper

I think landing a punt is very much secondary to the Mullins stable (and probably most stables). At Cheltenham you just want to give yourself the best chance of winning . If his preparation would be aided by showing in the gallop that is what would happen.

Wholeheartedly disagree !

Wholeheartedly disagree !

Did not stop Mullins letting Missed That work like a dream before his win. Did not stop Mullins putting Walsh up on Equs Maximus in the gallop giving a clear indicatation as to the pecking order in that seasons crop.

It's likely the trainer/jockey knows little more than ourselves.

I watched a re-run of Dunguib's run at Navan last night on ATR. Visually it was impressive, with several previous winners left in his wake. It just stuck me that his running style mightn't necessarily suit Cheltenham. A long leggy type..he could struggle coming down that hill..Hope I'm wrong:confused:

This year I've resolved to not bet on or show interest in the bumper.

Anyone betting seriously in this would want their head read, imvho :)

This year I've resolved to not bet on or show interest in the bumper.

Anyone betting seriously in this would want their head read, imvho :)

I'm usually the same with the Triumph Hurdle... I really try not to have a bet in that... too late for the Bumper however.

I'm usually the same with the Triumph Hurdle... I really try not to have a bet in that... too late for the Bumper however.

At least with the bumper we can narrow it down to the Irish:D:D Then again that could be any amount of runners, a good race in prospect imo:cool:

2008 Cousin Vinny 12/1 Mullins fancy apt approach 4/1
2007 Cork all star. Mullins fancy Mad fish 4/1, best finisher fiveforthree 14/1
2006 Hairy Molly .Mullins Fancy, Ballytrim, best finisher Ballytrim
2005 Missed that, only runner and fav
2004 Total Enjoyment ,Mullins Fancy Knocknabooly, best finisher knocknabooly 9/1 6th
2003 Liberman .Mullins fancy ,Royal Alphabet, best finisher kim fontaine,8th 40/1
2002 Pizarro. Mullins Fancy, Alexander millennium, only runner, pulled up 3/1
2000 Joe Cullen. Mullins fancy Tuesday, best finisher Joe Cullen 14/1
1999 Monsignor. Alexander prize,9th, 11/2 only runner
1998 Alexander banquet, only runner 9/1
1997 florida pearl 6/1, only runner
1996 wither or which 11/4, only runner

If he'd withdraw all his other runners it would be a lot easier to fancy that one !

Last edited:
2004 Total Enjoyment ,Mullins Fancy Knocknabooly, best finisher knocknabooly 9/1 6th
2003 Liberman .Mullins fancy ,Royal Alphabet, best finisher kim fontaine,8th 40/1

If he'd withdraw all his other runners it would be a lot easier to fancy that one !

I dont see the point in that, we know that the first string does not win all the time. That does not mean the trainer is putting us off on purpose....the fact that the likes of Joe Cullen (14s), Cousin Vinny (12s), Fiveforthree (14s) all went off relativelyunbacked suggests that the stable certainly has not tried to put people off in the past and lumped on their real fancies.

They where backed. Joe Cullen was heavily backed just before the off from 25s in. If he only sends one I'll back it, other wise I'll be watching everything else till the last moment.

But it's on the evidence of the gallop, not on Mullins say so about SS.

Also, I don't remember Mullins being especially effusive in flagging up his fancies in the past, he is normally tight-lipped about it.

If one was so stand-out better than the rest he probably would send just the one. Given the year that's in it, it would be dangerous to assume that because he is sending a mob, that they are all mediocre (if that is the point you're making).

He doesn't need to do much to throw the punters, a gallop set up to suit one of the runners would do it. Of course there is always the possibility that he has another Florida Pearl , a super star. I won't be backing his fav though, I'll have one of the others.

If one was so stand-out better than the rest he probably would send just the one. Given the year that's in it, it would be dangerous to assume that because he is sending a mob, that they are all mediocre (if that is the point you're making).

A valid point and it had crossed my mind,as he has been left with horses with no owners, things are a bit different this year.

He doesn't need to do much to throw the punters, a gallop set up to suit one of the runners would do it. Of course there is always the possibility that he has another Florida Pearl , a super star. I won't be backing his fav though, I'll have one of the others.

That is fair enough, but your posting earlier suggested that if Mullins new his best horse he would not gallop him after racing showing everyone that fact (despite the very fact he did it previously with Missed That). I think its guaranteed that Ruby or Patrick will ride Sicialian Secret on the basis they think he is one of their best...they might well be wrong (as in the past) but it won't be a case of putting people off. That is what I thought you were suggesting in your earlier post.

You might get the right result but for the wrong reason (IMO). I can't believe he'd send many over that he thought had no chance. Obviously there will be a pecking order, but because the don't finish in that order doesn't mean he's put anyone off.

Said in the ATR piece that he has 7 or 8 that would be as good as most of his previous winners. Pretty astonishing really.

:lol:

Anyone who did not know this was "the one" has no business betting on Irish racing.

Last edited:
The first "one" was Morning Supreme - ironically now one of the bigger prices and the only horse currently jocked up for the Bumper (Miss Walsh).

That is fair enough, but your posting earlier suggested that if Mullins new his best horse he would not gallop him after racing showing everyone that fact (despite the very fact he did it previously with Missed That). I think its guaranteed that Ruby or Patrick will ride Sicialian Secret on the basis they think he is one of their best...they might well be wrong (as in the past) but it won't be a case of putting people off. That is what I thought you were suggesting in your earlier post.

I'm suggesting that Willie doesn't mind throwing a googly ball if he thinks there isn't that much in it and a punt can be had.

From the last twelve runnings, 6 times he only sent one runner , 4 won,1 pulled up.

When he has sent multiple runners ,the other 6 times, 4 times his less fancied runner has finished in front of his other runners.2 where winners.

Yes things are different this year as he has horses that he was left with and I don't know what that will mean. Also I can't see him trusting his best chance with certain jocks who will get a ride but I certainly won't be rolling in on a fav yet. Maybe 10 seconds before the off....

Back