Champion Hurdle 2013

Seemingly HF did NOT roll in the sandpit the morning of the Champion H.
A well placed source supposedly told someone that he did not feel right in his final workout.(Duirt bean liom go duirt bean lei)
Sea Pigeon won CH at 10 and 11 and was not exactly bred for hurdling either!!!!
Back to the Timeform ratings thread surely he was the highest rated of the highest rated rather than Reference Point:)

Looks like an excuse horse to me. Would have won the Tote Gold Trophy - but fell. Would have won the Supreme - but was hamstrung by the steady early pace. Meh.

Jumpers fall - it's an occupational hazard. Darlan's run in the Totesport cannot blithely be dismissed, just because he failed to complete. He was in the process of running a seriously good race at Newbury, and would certainly have made a fight of it with Zarkander. And it's clear he didn't get the strong pace he wants in the Supreme, but it's the manner in which he finished the race, that is more significant to me, than his finishing-position.

The Supreme and Tote Gold Trophy are two decent pointer races to establishing the Champion Hurdle credentials of a horse, and despite winning neither race, he showed (me) enough for me to consider him a contender this coming season.

Simonsig will go chasing, and every other horse ahead of him in the betting is an open-book in form terms - with the exception of Cinders and Ashes, and I would take Darlan to reverse form in a stronger-run race (which the Champion Hurdle is bound to be).

I don't see very much not to like in Darlan's overall profile, to be honest. He cruised through a competitive handicap until falling, and ran all the way to the line in a novice championship race at the Festival. I mean? What is there not to like about it?

Suggesting he's an excuse horse on the back of those two defeats, rather ignores the fact he's 4-from-6 otherwise, and clearly capable of further progression. I think you and Euro are judging Darlan a bit harshly - he has a lot more to offer yet, imo

Last edited:
Problem with Darlans run at cheltenham is that they finished in a bit of a heap. If he battled to the line and was beat by one AN Other then fair enough but it doesnt scream champion hurdle to me

the 4/6 is fair enough but apart from last run, they werent exactly tough assignments perhaps. Just got past Jump City (although i should watch that again perhaps) who wasnt aimed high after that

Problem with Darlans run at cheltenham is that they finished in a bit of a heap. If he battled to the line and was beat by one AN Other then fair enough but it doesnt scream champion hurdle to me

I have some sympathy with this view, to be fair, but it does require a degree of 'Supreme' tunnel-vision, to draw such a conclusion. I'm inclined to think that the overall balance of his form points to a high-end 2m novice, with scope to go on.

And price is a factor too. It's not like he's single-figures - his current odds give some wiggle-room, imo.

Last edited:
Mullins on HF

He said: "I am hoping he can recapture his old form and I am very pleased with him. He worked well on Saturday morning. I expect he will make his return on November 18 in the Morgiana Hurdle at Punchestown."

No decision as yet on simonsg henderson says he is jumping fences well but that dosnt mean anything but whatever he does he will be kept to 2 miles

Unfortunately for anyone who has backed him for the Champion Hurdle it means everything. It's been pretty much common knowledge he's going for the Arkle for about a month now it's just that Nicky doesn't want to say so in case he shows a dislike for fences which going by all reports he's loving it.

You better be quick because as soon as he jumps a fence he'll be 2/1 at best. Coral were the only company left offering 7/2 after his schooling session the other day.

Grandouet who has been really well since he came back in and apparently showing no ill effects from his injury was huge at 14/1 and even now 12's can be had. Darlan is also on 12/1 but the only reason is because of who owns him as he wouldn't blow wind up Grandouet's backside at least that's the opinion of Assistant Head Lass Sarah who may be a tiny bit biased as she looks after him:lol:

Personally I really fancy the horse and it will be interesting to see where Nicky sends him first. Could be Wincanton again or the Betfair Hurdle but I doubt if he'll run him in both this time with him just getting over his injury. I imagine he'll be keen to have another run round Cheltenham and go for the International while Binocular or will probably go to Newcaste to get his ass kicked by Cinders and Ashes. I imagine Darlan will probably go the handicap route via the Greatwood. The big question with him is will he be 100% or laid out for the Betfair in February.

Back