Champion Hurdle 2013

Don't even think it's on Nicky's mind links it was never going to be. Barry said along time ago he was crying out for a fence. He's schooled well apparently and will run soon so unless something goes drastically wrong he's heading for the Arkle.

If the main protagonists all make it to Cheltenham you have to think Zarkandar will probably be a bigger price on the day than he is now with Ruby bound to choose the Hurricane. I'm firmly in the Grandouet camp but will back the Nicholls horse as well if that is the case. Particulary if there is cut in the ground.

reading nicholls in the post he seems to think ruby will chose zarakander.with cut in the ground i would prefer zarakander out of the three yesterday if it was soft i would like oscar whiskey to run

Anyone else find Countrywide Flame much too short at 2s and Darlan much too big at 9/4 for the Xmas hurdle?

Anyone else find Countrywide Flame much too short at 2s and Darlan much too big at 9/4 for the Xmas hurdle?

the cinders & ashes connection is misleading people i think..bothy was beaten out of sight yesterday from the FF

looks a good race and quite a puzzler..even Raya Star wouldn't be out of it imo

I wouldn't take Bothy's form literally yesterday. He had a different pilot on board for a start who was a 7lb claimer. Normally he is ridden up the front. Yesterday, the lad got into all sorts of problems and was very badly squeezed up. Write it off and he'll improve once Danny Cook is back on board.

I'm all over Coutryside Flame like a rash he'll go on the ground Darlan won't simple as.....more afraid of Cinders and Ashes bouncing back tbh

I think the race will have limited relevance in terms of the Champion Hurdle, but on this ground - and with a run under his belt - I think Cinders & Ashes is a big price for the Xmas Hurdle. I've taken the 5's.

Last edited:
This is the first NH race I have looked seriously at since last year's National and I can't make head nor tail of it.

The ground should make for a test of stamina but where will the pace come from? Countrywide Flame isn't one I would even have on the radar for the Champion - he looks like he wants further than 2m for a start. Darlan was impressive in Aintree but it looks a weak crop of novice hurdlers; the proximity of Prospect Wells and Trifolium in the Supreme hardly inspires confidence, does it?

In my determination to have a few Stephens' Day bets I've had a throwaway score on Dodging Bullets at 10's on the basis that he travelled like the best horse in the Triumph and has the scope to improve this year (that Cheltenham novice he won looked a non-event). He also did me a serious good term when he went in at Galway last year.

Darlan is reported to have strengthened considerably since last season, and it's significant that he's sticking to hurdles this.

If he hits 5 on the machine I'll back him as I could see him flattering to deceive and hit a low price in running but I just can't see him winning? tbh I reckon if he looks like having a hard race or he's not 100% happy with the way he's going 2 out AP will drop the lot.

He could of course win like you suggest Links but against a race fit Coutryside Flame and the likelyhood Cinders and Ashes will be a different horse today I reckon that's highly unlikely.

Just get the rotten eggs ready in case I'm wrong ;o)

This is the first NH race I have looked seriously at since last year's National and I can't make head nor tail of it.

I can see where you're coming from.

The only feeling I'm getting is that with the 8 runners it has to be a good race for an e/w bet. I've gone for GetMeOutOFHere e/w, discarding the last poor run, he's capable of running a big race, won a Tote Trophy on Soft Ground and is a neat little jumper on his day. I think Kempton might suit.

edit - horse has actually won at Kempton once already.

Last edited:
Not in my opinion. It was a **** poor renewal and Darlan was always going to win if he could cope with the ground. Last week's race is probably a good half-stone better.

Field full of second-season hurdlers with no established top-UK hurdler suggests it's a poor renewal.....or at least one that took less winning than usual.

I'm flabbergasted impressive yes but Champion Hurdle fav?

Raya Star for one would be tailed off in a Champion Hurdle by half way. Barry Geharty totally took the p!ss by setting of doddle of a pace and setting the race up for AP and Denis O'Reagan and Jason McGuire who were on strong staying types sitting there like they were riding Hurricane Fly himself.

Not knocking Darlan he won really well but that race just can't be taken seriously enough to make him fav over Hurricane Fly who's done what he did today a dozen times.

I doubt if Barry Geharty would trade Grandouet for Darlan on that form if he had the choice.

Back