Champion Hurdle 2013

Affurfuxake...

I take a stroll along the Benidorm promenade for a couple of hours and come back to this news. Fukkin ruined my day.

I can only hope any doubt is similar to the doubts surrounding Binocular's well-being the year he skooshed up.
Do I look like I am panicking? :whistle: Calm down he was fine 2 days ago probably just some stupid rumour or he's knicked himself while schooling.......by the time these things get back to the pub his leg will have fallen off........que sera.all we can do is wait and see

I'm a wee bit buoyed by your ongoing confidence, Tanlic, to the point of trying to get another couple of points on at the 8/1 but it seems I'm not allowed to bet since I'm in Spain. Don't know why that should be since I made a handful of bets from here on Saturday.

I'm a wee bit buoyed by your ongoing confidence, Tanlic, to the point of trying to get another couple of points on at the 8/1 but it seems I'm not allowed to bet since I'm in Spain. Don't know why that should be since I made a handful of bets from here on Saturday.

You can bet over the phone from abroad...

"You can bet over the phone from abroad"

Not if the bookies phones pick up where you are calling from and you are in France or Italy and perhaps Spain.

Bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's right though. Others lay away and eventually someone gets the story after the GN lunch. At some point the trade paper need to start investigating and stop reporting 2day old news. Pointless paper drip fed by stables.

It's always stuck with me how Henderson first reported Remittance Man's injury - "It's nothing much - just a little bit of filling". Regardless, he immediately stood the horse down.

Grandouet supporters can draw their own conclusions from Henderson's referal to his recent "filling" problem: one which apparently "does not jeopardise his participation or prospects" in the Champion Hurdle.

Last edited:
That sort of thing often stems from a trainer not wanting to start a panic unnecessarily. What might seem nothing much to even the best vet at the time can turn out to be serious enough to cause a horse to miss an engagement but for every Remittance Man there's a hundred that recover and are back working within a day or two.

So ready to hang you are the racing public, it is often the best policy to say nothing until you are 100% sure, but because reporters have moles in yards, who get backhanders from the media nd bookmakers, word can get out beforehand and you're the bad guy for not being the first to let the public know.

I don't want to start name dropping here but a certain Gold Cup horse slightly hurt his back a few years ago. They never knew the extent of the damage so the trainer decided to let him swim for a few hours and check the next day before making an announcement. Some would be loyal stable lad contacted a bookmaker and told him the horse had been injured and the next morning the phone was ringing off the hook. Before they actually got hold of the trainer the vet had checked the horse early in the morning and he was fine so when they asked if the horse was injured the trainer not wanting to start any sort of panic said he was absolutely fine and avoiding answering any questions about the incident. He didn't lie to anyone he just didn't mention the fact their had been a minor problem knowing how people make mountains out of molehills. The trainer was slagged to death by punters on forums called a lair etc etc I spoke to him myself on the phone and he was fuming saying in his own exact words "You just cant fuckin win with these c***s can you?" Now he rarely ever talks to the media and firmly believes the best thing to do is tell them as little as possible about what is going to run where and let them stew until they see he is not declared.

So if I seem protective towards any trainer especially Nicky Henderon who I admire and believe to be a decent person it's because I understand their situations something a few less informed individuals who think they can read peoples thoughts should try to doing.

The problem with what Grassy is saying is punters do draw their own conclusions and way too often.

Last edited:
I wasn't so much having a go at Henderson, as I was trying to wind-up Grandouet supporters, Tanlic. :D

Name-dropping, you say?

See that Lulu?

She's met me. :lol:

I don't know the guy but he doesn't give me the impression he was lying about not being able to get a proper work routine going due to in-climate weather.

It seems to me your saying he talking bollocks because you can't think of any other way to make Darlan look better than he might actually have been.

I don't mean to speak ill of the poor horse but you really are clutching at straws without proof or justification.

That post should go down well :rolleyes:

:ninja:

Might be said that your posts are the opposite - anything to run down Darlan as you were so down on the horse before he was killed and he was about to make you look rather foolish .

Give yourself peace man.

After a tongue in cheek post I said this :

Your most likely correct.

Darlan should have a huge fitness advantage Nicky had him straight enough to damn near win the Betfair so he must have a pretty good recovery rate.

Rock on Ruby had that ding dong battle with Binocular but that was in December and then he wasn't seen again until March.

Could be he's been held up in his work this time round and he just wants to bring him up to scratch.

Like most people I suspected Rock On Ruby might not be 100% fit something the trainer confirmed afterwards.

One poster said It was only worth 10k a prize you wouldn't exactly burst a gut to win with the CH right round the corner.

Yes I a made it perfectly clear I didn't think Darlan was good enough to win a Champion hurdle but that is along way ahead of beating a possibly unfit Rock On Ruby so how the hell could I possibly make myself look foolish.

Cynical view but I think we will probably be told that Grandouet was given 'medication' but the injury is worst than first suspected.They wont say before the weekend,probably around Sunday.Then phrases like 'top vets in the land' 'cruel game' and 'seriously considering MTOY' will be used.Cynical I know.

deja vu maybe.

Latest acceptors

THE STAN JAMES CHAMPION HURDLE

Form Horse Age Owner Trainer
1FU-3100 BALDER SUCCES (FR) 5 Masterson Holdings Limited Alan King
4/32114-3 BINOCULAR (FR) 9 J P McManus Nicky Henderson
2613110 CAUSE OF CAUSES (USA) 5 Timeform Betfair Racing Club Ltd Gordon Elliott IRE
1111-25 CINDERS AND ASHES 6 Dermot Hanafin & Phil Cunningham Donald McCain
111U3-2 COTTON MILL 6 Bloomfields John Ferguson
2312-142 COUNTRYWIDE FLAME 5 Estio Pinnacle Racing John Quinn
FLYING CROSS (IRE) 6 Robin Geffen David Pipe
B/1F11-2 GRANDOUET (FR) 6 Simon Munir Nicky Henderson
1F1131- GRUMETI 5 McNeill Family Alan King
1131-111 HURRICANE FLY (IRE) 9 George Creighton & Mrs Rose Boyd Willie Mullins IRE
121/406/ KHYBER KIM 11 Caroline Mould Nicky Henderson
1(1)51-112 OSCAR WHISKY (IRE) 8 Walters Plant Hire Ltd Nicky Henderson
1232-111 OVERTURN (IRE) 9 Tim Leslie Donald McCain
20/1120-2 PEDDLERS CROSS (IRE) 8 Tim Leslie Donald McCain
03 RANSOM NOTE 6 Raymond Mould Nigel Twiston-Davies
301-122 RAYA STAR (IRE) 7 Simon Munir Alan King
24-1112 REBEL FITZ (FR) 8 Brian Sweetnam Michael Winters IRE
3/1213-31 ROCK ON RUBY (IRE) 8 The Festival Goers Harry Fry
011105- STEPS TO FREEDOM (IRE) 7 Mrs Sean Hussey Jessica Harrington IRE
23-11432 THOUSAND STARS (FR) 9 Hammer & Trowel Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
02-25122 ZAIDPOUR (FR) 7 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
1/15F-11 ZARKANDAR (IRE) 6 Chris Giles & Potensis Limited Paul Nicholls

22 entries remain after February 12 scratchings deadline
6 Irish-trained

THE FOLLOWING 12 HORSES HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED: CASH AND GO (IRE), CLARET CLOAK (IRE), DARLAN, GENERAL MILLER, HISAABAAT (IRE), KING OF QUEENS (IRE), MIDNIGHT GAME, PEARL SWAN (FR), PUNJABI, SADLER'S RISK (IRE), TANGO DE JUILLEY (FR), TRIFOLIUM (FR)

Cynical view but I think we will probably be told that Grandouet was given 'medication' but the injury is worst than first suspected.They wont say before the weekend,probably around Sunday.Then phrases like 'top vets in the land' 'cruel game' and 'seriously considering MTOY' will be used.Cynical I know.

deja vu maybe.
Here's better theory from a fly on the wall. But I am not saying who's wall :lol:

Heavy ground...........Zarkandar......very hard Race........less than 4 weeks to the Champion Hurdle......fook that for a game of soldiers

My Tent Or Yours

Betfair Price: 16.5
With A Run Price: 5.0
Perceived odds of running in the CH: 23/10

RFO Outlook - Time Test - Mark Nelson

Although the Betfair Hurdle is a terrifically competitive event, it was so lacking in pace that the winner failed to record a Time Test Figure of note'

He goes on to say on previous runs against the clock he's only got the fourth best performance of the novices.

Discuss?

Last edited:
Back