Champion Hurdle 2013

RFO Outlook - Time Test - Mark Nelson

Although the Betfair Hurdle is a terrifically competitive event, it was so lacking in pace that the winner failed to record. Time Test Figure of note'

Discuss?

I read in the weekender I think? that the first 2m 1/2f of the 3m 1/2f h'cap H on the same card was run faster than the betfair.

I read in the weekender I think? that the first 2m 1/2f of the 3m 1/2f h'cap H on the same card was run faster than the betfair.

That's a little different to claiming " the Betfair was ran slower than the first two miles of the three miler later that day". which was a chase, run on different ground anyway.
As it now stands the 3m hurdle was quicker run overall (though they can only have guessed where the last mile started), and (IIRC) there was significant rain for most of the afternoon.
Anyone who watches the last 6f of the Betfair, and concludes it wasn't a proper test, need their bumps feeling anyway.

Last edited:
That's a little different to claiming " the Betfair was ran slower than the first two miles of the three miler later that day". which was a chase, run on different ground anyway.
As it now stands the 3m hurdle was quicker run overall (though they can only have guessed where the last mile started), and (IIRC) there was significant rain for most of the afternoon.
Anyone who watches the last 6f of the Betfair, and concludes it wasn't a proper test, need their bumps feeling anyway.

In terms of winning at Cheltenham though it casts some serious doubts over the merits of My Tent Or Yours chances.

Some doubts, Slim, though I wouldn't be sure they're critical.
Travels well enough to convince pace won't be a problem, and stamina looks a given, based on his Newbury and Ascot runs. His jumping looks pretty slick, too, though he's yet to produce it in strongly run race against the big boys.. No reason why he shouldn't run equally as well in the Supreme though, imvho.

Some doubts, Slim, though I wouldn't be sure they're critical.
Travels well enough to convince pace won't be a problem, and stamina looks a given, based on his Newbury and Ascot runs. His jumping looks pretty slick, too, though he's yet to produce it in strongly run race against the big boys.. No reason why he shouldn't run equally as well in the Supreme though, imvho.

I nearly deleted the word critical from my message! No he's still over priced at 2/1 for the Supreme on the formbook but that's because the champion is a massive player.

A stronly-run race is exactly what MTOY wants, imo. That he was able to win the Betfair so effortlessly off what was less than an exacting pace, augurs really well for him.

He is stuck-on for the Supreme if he goes there, imo - though there's obviously a danger he'll be punted into the CH.

Remains to be seen if he will handle the hill, only run on flattish tracks so far, Newbury, Ascot, Huntingdon, Ludlow

RFO Outlook - Time Test - Mark Nelson

Although the Betfair Hurdle is a terrifically competitive event, it was so lacking in pace that the winner failed to record a Time Test Figure of note'

He goes on to say on previous runs against the clock he's only got the fourth best performance of the novices.

Discuss?

Champagne fever and jezki have higher figures but i cant have cf over 2 miles jezji i rate a big danger but you must remember on saturday mtoy was never in danger of defeat never challeneged and therefore didnt have to run any faster which twisting things around you could take as a positive that he didnt run to his fastest yet still disposed of a quality field.

Did he have any thing left in the tank i got the feeling there was plenty left

Also whilst the state of the ground is still a bit of an unknown i cant see it being anyware near as soft on the tuesday and that i think will suit him even more (not a negative for jezki either)

melodic rendezvous is probably underrated but if the ground isnt soft they will take him to the neptune

river maguire could be the fly in the ointment will have the assistence of BG should know after saturday (i think hes declared at ascot) where he is progressing along the right lines

Remains to be seen if he will handle the hill, only run on flattish tracks so far, Newbury, Ascot, Huntingdon, Ludlow

True but comment can be said against much of his opponents as well and its not like they have been avoiding going to cheltenham this season just there are not the oppotunties there in the early part of the season especially with the ground the way its been

much can be said about jezkis run in the champion bumper but horse beaten in the champion bumper have a better record of winning the supreme than champion bumpers winners do

Connections of My Tent Or Yours have not ruled out supplementing the impressive Betfair Hurdle winner for the Stan James Champion Hurdle.

While the William Hill Supreme Novices' Hurdle that kicks off the first day of the Cheltenham Festival remains the likely target, there is a possibility My Tent Or Yours could switch to the big race on the card.

My Tent Or Yours is hot favourite for the Supreme, but the Nicky Henderson-trained gelding staked a strong claim to be added to the Champion field when making a mockery of what should have been a highly-competitive race for the valuable handicap hurdle at Newbury.

The victory came just days after owner JP McManus lost his main Champion Hurdle hope Darlan in a fatal fall at Doncaster.

"Nicky was delighted with the way he won and how he came out of the race," McManus' racing manager Frank Berry told At The Races.

"I'd be surprised if he doesn't go down the novice route, but you never know what might happen."

Latest bollox, sorry press releases

Grandouet will not run in the Kingwell Hurdle at Wincanton on Saturday, trainer Nicky Henderson told Press Association Sport.

Henderson said concerns over a setback had dispersed but he does not want to run on very testing ground after an interrupted preparation.

Grandouet will have a racecourse gallop before Cheltenham and Henderson added: “He is fit and well and, dare I say, fancied."

Last edited:
He has beaten very little, Suny. Particularly when you consider:

There are at least three horses with very good form claims this year (MTOY, Jezki, Melodic Rendezous and Dodging Bullets).

And I wonder why Willie seems so keen to have Champagne Fever in the Supreme?

Clearly he could be anything, but I would be looking for double the current 8/1.

Melodic is not good enough for me

My tent or yours sets a very high standard, but has to prove he acts at cheltenham, the time at newb Was not very good, also surprised owner bought jezki.

Mullins won this race with the grey that year beating Amaretto Who has much better form.

Un Atout is an interesting one for me here.

Owner has rule Supreme in the Neptune who is the main rival of pont alexandre

Last edited:
Dodging Bullets 14/1 e/way is the value of the race(Supreme) - only a couple of pound behind MTOY on my ratings from the Christmas Hurdle. Proven over the course /distance

2 pounds?

If you believe the official rating of Darlan from that race then Yes - I'm interested to see how Raya Star performs in the Kingwell to back up my opinion as he's improved every race he's run in and I'd expect him to get within 5 to 6L of the winner of the Kingwell

Again this just my opinion and I had MTOY 160+ and Dodging Bullets 158+

I think it was a brave choice of Nicholls to throw him into a Grade 1 against his elders and he was in no way disgraced - finished in front of Countrywide Flame and Cinders and Ashes off level weights. I don't think any other entry of the Supreme has been running against the class of horses or race D.B. contested.

Dodging bullets form in that race surely isn't worth a bucket of manure. Coutryside Flame couldn't put one foot in front of the other in what was absolutely desperate ground, Cinders and Ashes has been totally out of form and not a shadow of the horse he was when winning the Supreme leaving Raya Star to plod on onto 2nd and that is all he did. Considering

It took Dodging Bullets ages to pass two struggling horses that day and he'd be more like 20lbs behind MTOY

Can't see the Kingwell telling us much as not many will turn up and again it looks like crappy ground will be the name of the game

Somewhat surprising that Binocular is not super subbing for Grandouet as he did last year .

Either he is stunning them all at Seven Barrows with his homework and they don't want his price crashing or he is behind or not sparkling- I fear the latter.

unless overturn makes a dramatic switch back to hurdling i'm looking at the remaining entries for this race and wondering who's going to make it and where the pace is coming from

i do feel last year the searing pace overturn set didn't help the likes of h fly and set it all up for rock on ruby

Countrywide Flame will I reckon, btw isn't there usually a market for who will jump the first hurdle in front ?

Last edited:
Back