Champion Hurdle 2013

On The Bridle

At the Start
Go Native ran a cracker today on the flat...had a tickle for the Champion at 50/1....they never come back .....maybe this time

Go Native ran a cracker today on the flat...had a tickle for the Champion at 50/1....they never come back .....maybe this time

Did he break down in the race when sent off 11/4 fav? I'd have laid you 66/1 by the way. NO CHANCE.

Gradoquet wins.

I hope they keep him over hurdles-he might not win a Champion Hurdle but Harchibald won a Christmas HUrdle after some time off.

I hope they keep him over hurdles-he might not win a Champion Hurdle but Harchibald won a Christmas HUrdle after some time off.

I cannot see him him going over fences unless he has disimproved majorly. If he has is doesn't really matter anyway. Interestingly Meade blamed Emmet McNamara directly for yesterday's loss. Unlike Meade to do that....must be feeling the pressure.

I thought he was hard on the bridle without cover a long way out while the winner was being pumped up to gather momentum.The second horse Cairdin onviously has an engine but I don't think he is a natural jumper of fences and I would be keen to take him
on next time out.

The vibes are good, the horse is definitely good, the opposition are nothing special.

Simonsig. :ninja:

At the current prices the only one I'd even contemplate backing is Hurricane Fly. The tactics were wrong last year and at 7.2 on the machine chances are he'll be 4 or 5 after his first run. Good trading opportunity.

Simonsig is gonna be a better chase. End of

Everything went right for Rock on Ruby last year.

Grandouet is too short and I don't trust him to either get to the race or complete if he does

Cinders and Ashes. Not convinced the Supreme was that good.

Zarkandar is too slow and should be in the World Hurdle

Darlan. Should be 25s not 16s.

Last edited:
I presume you mean HF is finished in the context of the Cheltenham festival.I would expect him to win multiple Grade 1 races this season and as Euronymous says he would be the horse to shorten in the betting.

Hurricane Fly is too short in terms of winning the Champion Hurdle in my opinion. To my eye his last two performances were most disappointing (Champion and at Punchestown), looking laboured in both, particularly the latter. Given Mullin's concerns pre-season and his subsequent performances I think it possible, or even likely, that he was hugely flattered when winning the Irish Champion on bad ground. Furthermore, the form of his Champion win maybe doesn't look as strong as it did at the time. As a flat bred 8/9yo I won't be backing him to regain his form, if indeed his best form is good enough to win another Champion.

However, as a trading opportunity, there could be room for manoeuvre, he'll likely win a couple in Ireland en route and be shorter as a result.

Furthermore, the form of his Champion win maybe doesn't look as strong as it did at the time.

I don't agree. Oscar Whisky and Thousand Stars have upheld that form and I don't think you can damn it with Peddlers woes over fences. It was certainly a lot stronger renewal than the two or three that preceded it.

some of you won't rate this opinion but when i looked at the sectionals for last years CH i formed a simplistic opinion that HF actually lost the race in a large part before the first hurdle..he was held up as he normally is and throughout the race he just didn't pull back that 5 or 6 lengths he gave away to the first hurdle..its a though he was hanging on to the shirt tails of the race...ROR won with the extra stamina he had after setting strong sectionals which meant he didn't come back to them except just before the last when it looked like he was going to be swallowed up...then his stamina kicked in and he found again after the last.

if ROR had been just a 2 miler i have no doubt he would struggled after the last.

The year before the pace scenario played to HF..this year it didn't added to the fact that ROR basically did a Hardy Eustace and kept enough in the tank

i've not looked at the sectionals since then but i do think that in a race where ROR is able to dictate at just above even pace he will always beat HF over a stiff 2 miles..

Last edited:
Back