Champion Hurdle 2014

Istabraq was similar level in Ireland to HF, at Cheltenham Ist would beat him easily

in general Istabraq a better horse for me

TNO beat a stayer at last year's festival and MTOY didn't win at last years festival. TNO beat Zarkander in the international by less than Annie Power did, while the beaten horses in the Christmas Hurdle were decent handicappers at best.

It's the level of form MTOY showed in the Supreme that is important, not whether or not he won.

It's plain to see Zarkandar isn't of the same level this year so that line of form is redundant.

Your last point - just how far were MTOY and TNO supposed to beat these decent handicappers for it to be meritorious - 5 furlongs?

It's the level of form MTOY showed in the Supreme that is important, not whether or not he won.

It's plain to see Zarkandar isn't of the same level this year so that line of form is redundant.

Your last point - just how far were MTOY and TNO supposed to beat these decent handicappers for it to be meritorious - 5 furlongs?

The way they beat those "decent handicappers" strengthened their profile rather than weakened it.

For me it was best performance yet by both horses. Mtoy travelled much stronger and more comfortably than before. Two horses on an upward curve against one that's nearer a pedigree chum can than another champion hurdle

0_around_edinburgh_-_musselburgh_-_fishwives.jpg

I used to date two of them in Musselburgh

Last edited:
Istabraq fell at odds of 1/4 and 2/7 previously

I did say as long as he had stood up - he seemed to have a problem with the last at Leopardstown but he was cantering away with the April race when he came down .

I think sunybay has it right ( for once :lol:)

One thing I do worry about for the Fly, someone alluded to it earlier on this thread, about Ruby changing his hands going down the back in last year's race.
That to me didn't look anything like changing his hands, he was scrubbed along!!
So they were obviously had him out of his comfort zone early, then 2 of his major rivals cocked up, Grandouet fell and almost brought Binocuar down. Was kind of handed to him on a plate!

3,2,1 wait for the Grasshopper explosion!

Last edited:
I don't know what to think.

Both camps are pissing me off royally. I could do with the race being called off actually. Don't want to see Grassy beaming like a Cheshire cat or leaving the forum in another huff.

:lol:

In my own defence, as soon as I've roared my co*ck-off laughing, I would be the epitome of the gracious and humble winner. Indeed, the only time I've ever got into a post-CH barney with anyone after The Fly's Outings has been - inevitably :D - Hamm, and that was about bleedin' Solwhit! :lol:

2012 was good for the soul, and the sack-cloth has long-since been despatched to the bin. Whatever the result*, I plan to have a chuckle on this thread afterwards.

* Effortless Hurricane Fly victory

Last edited:
Timeform's best 5 performance ratings for Istabraq were 172+, 172+, 171+, 170+, 169+ but they had a Master Rating for him as high as 180.

Hurricane Fly's best performance ratings are 171+, 170+, 170, 169+, 169+, 169+ and his Master Rating is 173 (it might have been higher previously, someone with the annuals can check).

My Tent Or Yours has a 172 performance rating from Kempton (which is his Master Rating now) and a next best 164 from his Supreme effort.

The New One has a 171 performance rating from Kempton (also his Master Rating) and a 169+ from his seasonal debut which I missed when I wrote my previous post. 159+ is his next best after that.

Obviously as only second season hurdlers they haven't had the same opportunity to consistently rack up ~170 performances etc. etc.

This will all be irrelevant when Our Conor kicks from the bottom of the hill and leaves them all behind :lol:

A balanced posting, Links.
What's it doing on this thread?

Exactly, TS. We are now deep into the mud-slinging stage, and the time for sober assessment has long-since passed. Battles-lines have been drawn, and now it's all about how much mustard-gas you can land in the your opponents trench! :D

Dessie Hughes reckons Our Conor was "last one off the bridle" in the Ryanair Hurdle.

This is THE FEAR in action. :ninja:

Back