Champion Hurdle 2014

How cryptic and intriguing.

I'm guessing your a fan of 'Sherlock' and put yourself away with the ladies as a bit of a Cumberbatch type.

Nothing wrong in that, of course. :cool:

:D

Good effort.

I would say more like Cracker and a bottle of scotch or two.

Though absolutely nothing wrong in that ofcourse :D

A Jockey told us it was the equiv of running along the beach. That kind of holding. Hope they aren't thinking off running poor MTOY on the sand... Firth of Clyde was outpaced in his race as they were "going too fast for him". It was perfect ground for a wee run out for MTOY. The horse isn't right and all will become clear.

Nicky H has plenty of previous for haranguing officials about races for his stable stars, and there's little doubt he would have known of plans for the Kempton Bumper meeting before withdrawing MTOY from the Morebattle.
As it stands, the race will be the perfect vehicle, run at the perfect time, to achieve what he wants to do with the horse, and those that see that as a negative might just be suffering from a little fear themselves.

Nicky H has plenty of previous for haranguing officials about races for his stable stars, and there's little doubt he would have known of plans for the Kempton Bumper meeting before withdrawing MTOY from the Morebattle.
As it stands, the race will be the perfect vehicle, run at the perfect time, to achieve what he wants to do with the horse, and those that see that as a negative might just be suffering from a little fear themselves.

Dream on, reet.

Since when did a Jumpers Bumper become the 'perfect vehicle' for a Champion Hurdle prep? Only those staring into the MTOY abyss would suggest such a thing.

Dream on, reet.

Since when did a Jumpers Bumper become the 'perfect vehicle' for a Champion Hurdle prep? Only those staring into the MTOY abyss would suggest such a thing.

Mullins pleaded with Dundalk to put one on for the Hurricane but had to run in the Irish Champion instead.

Dream on, reet.

Since the record holding trainer of the Champion Hurdle deemed so. I think he'd have more of an idea of what's suitable and what's not suitable in preparing a horse for the race.

50 mile round trip rather than 10000 or whatever it is

Makes sense to me too

Since the record holding trainer of the Champion Hurdle deemed so. I think he'd have more of an idea of what's suitable and what's not suitable in preparing a horse for the race.

Yeah Peter Easterby definitely knows what it takes to win a Champion Hurdle.

This thread does descend into one eyed rubbish to put it mildly

Hes had two runs this season and will get a reasonable work out in a fair size field (im assuming) to make it three

Rest of the field have raced how many times?

Cmon Clive... its a jumpers bumper on Sand. If he is only going to excercise him he can do that at home. He's got plenty fast 2 milers to give him a race up the gallop. A race OVER HURDLES is what is required to get race sharpness in place. Any jockey or trainer would tell you that. There is no way this can be seen as a positive for the horse.

I agree that the jumpers bumper is better than nothing but descriptions of this being perfect for him are definitely incorrect as I'm sure if the weather was different he would have been put in a hurdle race.

Cmon Clive... its a jumpers bumper on Sand. If he is only going to excercise him he can do that at home. He's got plenty fast 2 milers to give him a race up the gallop. A race OVER HURDLES is what is required to get race sharpness in place. Any jockey or trainer would tell you that. There is no way this can be seen as a positive for the horse.

According to yourself "the horse isn't right and all will become clear" so even the fact he's running Sunday must be a huge shock to you??! And as I've said previously Nicky Henderson, the man who has won a record 5 champion hurdles as a trainer and trained more festival winners than any other trainer, has a far better grasp of what the horse needs than any one of us keyboard warriors.

Why does he need "race sharpness" so much more than the other runners ?

Its not ideal but its not end of the world. The idea that because he's run a bumper plus two hurdles as compared to most others 3 hurdles, puts him at some big disadvantage is wishful thinking

This thread does descend into one eyed rubbish to put it mildly

A bit harsh, clive, I think your posts are slightly better than that

I agree that the jumpers bumper is better than nothing but descriptions of this being perfect for him are definitely incorrect as I'm sure if the weather was different he would have been put in a hurdle race.

100% correct Big Tea but the weather isn't different. It's terrible. It's like the argument people make re Annie Power taking her chance in the champion if HF wasn't in it. Hurricane Fly is in it. Willie Mullins knows his horses and what's best for each one. Im sure NJ Henderson has a bit of a grasp as well.

The horse already knows how to hurdle, and has never taken much getting fit. All he needs is the buzz taken out of him, and the Kempton race will service as well as any other.

Why does he need "race sharpness" so much more than the other runners ?

Its not ideal but its not end of the world. The idea that because he's run a bumper plus two hurdles as compared to most others 3 hurdles, puts him at some big disadvantage is wishful thinking

Great point. No such argument about The New One who goes straight there and is the one who could actually do with practice jumping hurdles. There's no issue with MTOY hurdling, in fact I'd go so far as saying that along with HF he's the best hurdler in the field. Our Conor is quiet nimble too.

The reason he's anxious to get a run in is to get rid of the freshness. A hell of a lot better than him pulling furiously during the champion.

Ah now Kauto.... No Need to bring TNO into this!

I was sitting back enjoying the sparring between the Fly fans and the MTOY club!

TNO prep has been perfect. Exactly the way they planned it. None of these question marks about freshness etc.

Ah now Kauto.... No Need to bring TNO into this!

I was sitting back enjoying the sparring between the Fly fans and the MTOY club!

TNO prep has been perfect. Exactly the way they planned it. None of these question marks about freshness etc.

No. But a big one over his jumping over the 2m distance in my opinion. No concern over MTOY jumping which one or two hinted at here so that's where the comparasion was made.

No offence intended DH ;)

Back