Champion Hurdle 2014

Aye, when all rational argument is discarded and a trainers verbiage is what is used to defend a stance, your time is up.

The clock keeps ticking and chef granger will be baking lots of pies in the coming weeks. Still time for the naysayers, come eat some humble pie

Close!

It was actually Willie Mullins on HF after the Irish Champion Hurdle. He had to dig deeper than ever before to beat Captain Cee Bee by 3 Lengths......

Was it really?

So jockey and now trainer have more or less written off his chances

A shame because he was quite a good horse really.

Last edited:
Aye, when all rational argument is discarded and a trainers verbiage is what is used to defend a stance, your time is up.

The clock keeps ticking and chef granger will be baking lots of pies in the coming weeks. Still time for the naysayers, come eat some humble pie

Make sure you save yourself a big slice :D

Close!

It was actually Willie Mullins on HF after the Irish Champion Hurdle. He had to dig deeper than ever before to beat Captain Cee Bee by 3 Lengths......

The tongue was almost bursting out of the side of his cheek...what he was actually intimating was.... Jezki had to work even harder to finish behind CCB and Our Conor was cooked and would have finished behind him had the top speed battle to the line started 50 yards earlier or we had the Cheltenham hill to finish up.

Guess who said this:

I have to end with the mighty Hurricane Fly. Given how badly he worked on the lead in to the Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown last Sunday, I was more than happy with his display.

For instance had he jumped the final flight as well as Our Conor he would have won far more comfortably. I’m well aware the proximity of Captain Cee Bee does little for the form of the race.

But Captain Cee Bee had his own way in front and I didn’t take a lot of notice of him, basically concentrating on the two who were behind me.

There hasn’t been a bother on Hurricane Fly this week, he looks terrific and has been cantering away.

The tongue was almost bursting out of the side of his cheek....

Think you might be confusing 2 separate quotes there Maxbet. The quote I posted was by Willie Mullins interviewed on ATR after the Irish Champion Hurdle. You couldn't see his face! The camera shots at the time were of HF eating from the hedges right in front of the crowd.(Which was wonderful to see). Hence I didn't notice the comment the first time. Only when I was re-watching the race the other day. I just thought it was interesting that Willie remarked how deep the Fly had to dig and I genuinely wondered to myself does that race have to take something out of a 10 year old....

I added the distance reference to Captain Cee Bee seeing as that subject had been quite topical on this thread recently. Personally I don't read anything in the Ruby comment. It was quite flippant! When asked would he worry about the proximity of CBB in the race, he flippantly answered "I would".

Guess who said this:

"Given how badly he worked on the lead in to the Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown last Sunday, I was more than happy with his display."

In fairness, I have to agree this is a factor. I fully agree the bad piece of work and missing the last flight, were big factors in the fact that HF had to dig so deep to win the race.

The reality is, had he not had a bruised foot and had pinged the last he would have won more comprehensively. Even I can see that.....

But Leoparstown is not Cheltenham.. Above are a few reasons that the Fly did not quite run to his optimum that day. The journey across, The Cheltenham track & His age are the few potential things factored into my opinion that he won't quite run to his optimum again on 11th March.

I still believe HF will be in the first 3 but it's time for a NEW champion.

Un de Sceaux very impressive but another set of trees to beat . A great shame they did not bring him over for the Kingwell but as the meeting was very much in doubt hardly surprising.

Last edited:
looked like he cocked his jaw on one of the bends like he didn't fancy taking it. has probably started treated these egg & spoon races with the contempt they deserve. that said midnight game was only 7l behind hurricane on his season opener. :ninja:

I really think UDS will be like a rabbit caught in the headlights if running in the champion. It's like riding a moped, then getting in an Aston Martin.
If he can win a champion on the back of what he's done so far then he must be a monster. Just makes the race more intriguing if he runs. It may just be that he is a beast.

Roll on March 11

the form is there for people that wants to see it

he beats MG by 16 lengths in a canter giving 3 pounds and not jumping as well as he can, likely he was not 100% with later targets in the season
MG beaten earlier in the by Captain Ceee bee and hurricane fly

todays time 13s faster than the novice race running with almost a stone more

I think this horse will win the Champion Hurdle in style

I thought he was better today Suny, he hurdled well and the way Ruby looked round after the last then loosened the reigns a bit he effortlessly widened the gap to Midnight Game, I really hope he lines up.

Last edited:
like a good horse he hurdled much better when the pace lifted. fiddled over a few early on.

interesting mullins said he's settling better. he'll need to if he wants to land the big prizes.

i fear he won't line up but really hoping he does.

If hurricane Fly were an odds on shot , I could imagine Mullins wanting to wait
but how can he explain the owners he doesnt want to run such a horse if he is healthy

If the horse is healthy and fit in March he will run

He did hurdle the last four with ease James, giving the impression there was plenty in the tank, I think if the owner wants to line up UDS will as there is no guarantee he will get another shot at the CH and of course its a big step up but you would want to know if you owned him.

Last edited:
Fascinating,another ingredient added to the stock pot for the 11th March.They must let him take his place.He can't go from the front and win this years CH...can he?:confused:

the form is there for people that wants to see it

he beats MG by 16 lengths in a canter giving 3 pounds and not jumping as well as he can, likely he was not 100% with later targets in the season
MG beaten earlier in the by Captain Ceee bee and hurricane fly

todays time 13s faster than the novice race running with almost a stone more

I think this horse will win the Champion Hurdle in style

Oh Lord that fighting talk.

Suny,

Someone has to point out the white elephant in the room. You have a massive bias towards French imports. Didn't you put up some yack for the World Hurdle this year that got ran over in a trial? He couldn't keep up with the boats from a mile from home. You genuinely need to be on drugs to back UTS at 12/1 to win the best Champion Hurdle run this century.

Suny,

Someone has to point out the white elephant in the room. You have a massive bias towards French imports. Didn't you put up some yack for the World Hurdle this year that got ran over in a trial? He couldn't keep up with the boats from a mile from home. You genuinely need to be on drugs to back UTS at 12/1 to win the best Champion Hurdle run this century.

Correct.

Back