Champion Hurdle 2014

Maximum pony but Ladbrokes returning losing stakes as free bet if Hurricane Fly finishes 1st or 2nd ��

MTOY unfortunately 7/2 with them though.

I've had my first (believe it or not) look at the Champion Hurdle.

It's a dog's dinner of a race and one I can't say I'm looking forward to, which is very unusual.

I'm on Our Conor ante-post and he's probably still the percentage call, all things considered, but it looks a poor renewal. Competitive yes, but if Hurricane Fly is the best we've got then we're in a bad way.

He's clearly the most versatile and has the best overall form. He won't mind the ground regardless. If it's a sprint he's got the speed. If it's a slog, he's got the guts. But the Gr1 races he's been hoovering up in Ireland have been no more than training gallops. The cynic in me reckons the opposition only turn up to make up the numbers so that their connections can buy money on the Fly.

He's lost one Champion Hurdle when things didn't fall into his lap but might just have been less than 100% that day anyway.

MTOY and TNO haven't really found as much this season as we could have hoped. Melodic Rendezvous struggled to get the better of Zarkandar last time and they aren't even bothering sending the latter.

I'd like to think some kind of new order might emerge from the race. MTOY, TNO, Un De Sceaux, Our Conor and Annie Power and maybe Jezki should make it interesting from that perspective but has any of them actually done enough to suggest they can beat the favourite?

Walsh, presumably, will not desert Hurricane Fly. But stablemates Annie Power and Un De Sceaux have been very impressive in their effortless dismissals of lesser lights. Annie Power has gained more on the ratings while Un De Sceaux has looked impressive. It's also something else to go and beat the top horse on the big day when there will be no hiding room and, hopefully, no excuses.

The reason I'd still nominate Our Conor as the percentage call, though, is that I can't help thinking they've just been weighing him up against the Fly in his two runs this season. By far the highest rated winner of the Triumph I've seen in over 30 years of compiling ratings, the form has been franked over and over this season and they've clearly not been interested in picking up meaningless 'trials' in preparation for this. The only thing against him is his age but maybe it won't matter this year if they think they have the measure of the favourite based on their meetings this season.

The one I'm most afraid of is Annie Power.

DO
did you read pyman in Fridays racing post his stats may back your thoughts up
3rd in the list 53% of dessie hughes festival runners post their best rating of the season at the Cheltenham festival

Saw an interview with DH a while back saying OC's best form is at Cheltenham and HF's is at Leopardstown so they think it will be a lot closer than the other races between them this season.

I've re-assessed the Champion Hurdles that HF won and can only rate him best 169 at Cheltenham . His best IRE rating is 173 by my reckoning.
He is just not the same class for whatever reason - I don't know- and has beaten horses in previous CH victories who were far inferior on that C/D. A much stronger renewal in 2014 and although it's not a big field , it is classy.
I'm glad Annie Power isn't lining up as I think that she would win and I've got her in my World hurdle win Multis.
Our Conor to win by 3L+, The New One, Hurricane Fly to place.

Maximum pony but Ladbrokes returning losing stakes as free bet if Hurricane Fly finishes 1st or 2nd ��
Do be aware, tho', that the offer applies only to bets made via mobile.
Bets made in shop, by telephone, or online through ladbrokes.com do not qualify.

DO
did you read pyman in Fridays racing post his stats may back your thoughts up
3rd in the list 53% of dessie hughes festival runners post their best rating of the season at the Cheltenham festival

I wouldn't bet against a higher than 53% average of horses posting their best rating or best running at the festival with the true pace put to most races.

It's a dog's dinner of a race and one I can't say I'm looking forward to, which is very unusual.

I'm on Our Conor ante-post and he's probably still the percentage call, all things considered, but it looks a poor renewal. Competitive yes, but if Hurricane Fly is the best we've got then we're in a bad way.

He's clearly the most versatile and has the best overall form. He won't mind the ground regardless. If it's a sprint he's got the speed. If it's a slog, he's got the guts. But the Gr1 races he's been hoovering up in Ireland have been no more than training gallops. The cynic in me reckons the opposition only turn up to make up the numbers so that their connections can buy money on the Fly.

He's lost one Champion Hurdle when things didn't fall into his lap but might just have been less than 100% that day anyway.

MTOY and TNO haven't really found as much this season as we could have hoped. Melodic Rendezvous struggled to get the better of Zarkandar last time and they aren't even bothering sending the latter.

I'd like to think some kind of new order might emerge from the race. MTOY, TNO, Un De Sceaux, Our Conor and Annie Power and maybe Jezki should make it interesting from that perspective but has any of them actually done enough to suggest they can beat the favourite?

Walsh, presumably, will not desert Hurricane Fly. But stablemates Annie Power and Un De Sceaux have been very impressive in their effortless dismissals of lesser lights. Annie Power has gained more on the ratings while Un De Sceaux has looked impressive. It's also something else to go and beat the top horse on the big day when there will be no hiding room and, hopefully, no excuses.

The reason I'd still nominate Our Conor as the percentage call, though, is that I can't help thinking they've just been weighing him up against the Fly in his two runs this season. By far the highest rated winner of the Triumph I've seen in over 30 years of compiling ratings, the form has been franked over and over this season and they've clearly not been interested in picking up meaningless 'trials' in preparation for this. The only thing against him is his age but maybe it won't matter this year if they think they have the measure of the favourite based on their meetings this season.

Unadulterated, fishwife tripe......as is Baracouda's 're-assessment' of HF's merit.

I'd have you both sectioned.

Last edited:

Great write up...

I just cant get out my mind the way the Fly came back on the bridle last year after the 4th last and cruised the rest of the race when they were all at it.

Id be serious MTOY's otherwise...

Interesting read :D The Flyites will be after you :lol:

all things considered, but it looks a poor renewal. Competitive yes, but if Hurricane Fly is the best we've got then we're in a bad way.

MTOY and TNO haven't really found as much this season as we could have hoped.

I'm gobsmacked. What would be your definition of a good renewal, 1976 or something? No offence but this does strike me as a grandad in his slippers type nostalgia viewpoint. It's an immense renewal.

The ground conditions this winter have hardly been condusive to TNO and MTOY putting up mega efforts.

I'm gobsmacked. What would be your definition of a good renewal, 1976 or something? No offence but this does strike me as a grandad in his slippers type nostalgia viewpoint. It's an immense renewal.

The ground conditions this winter have hardly been condusive to TNO and MTOY putting up mega efforts.

Tongue in cheek me thinks.....surely.

He will this year because it is a deep field.

I'm liking the certainty inferred in the above.

Soon, the quayside will be as quiet as a whisper.

Euro, I hope I live to see the day that this horse gets the credit he deserves. To achieve so much, and to remain unappreciated, is a travesty of howling-at-the-moon justice.

If you think I'm a pain in the bell-end now, wait til you see me when he's retired and he crops-up in discussion. :D

Back