Champion Hurdle 2015

He has so many negatives though Frankel..and now the biggest one of all..8 runners..no real pace..he needed a very strong pace..something that not one horse will give him..if Kitten leads it will be be soft..if Faugheen leads it will be even so he gets home

in such a field a horse that took two days to pass bertimont at Haydock is not going to pass far better horses off a lesser test imo

he is the most disadvantaged horse in the field pace wise

watch when they accelerated at two out last year..he was left flailing..they will arguably quicken even more on Tuesday

if he has instant acceleration then he has kept it well hidden..Tuesday will be like a whirlwind to him

I agree. Think he's got his work cut out here.

Tactically, it will be a very interesting race.

Neither is faugheens.
Maybe we will see TNO a bit more handy Tuesday.Id like to see them kicking him on earlier as he clearly needs further.

He does have a question to answer on that score. The will jump better at pace is a legit answer, but one taken on trust.
He could just be the real deal. With genuine decent ground though, I will be 'happy' to take him on with Jezki.

He's clearly been the value play here.

Last edited:
I've just watched TNO in the 2013 Neptune. He looked a grinding staying that day and seemed to love that hill, running away from everything. Only eight horses in that field, and a slowish pace.

TNO really needs to be putting it on, I think.......he has no turn-of-foot, and would get nutted in a sprint, I reckon.

Last edited:
I'm all set ready to go just need a packet of buscuits..........I've pencilled in the Champion Hurdle as a good time to slip out and make a cup of coffee.

Faugheen will win half the track, no need to watch it:lol:

I'm inclined to believe the race will simply go to the best hose on the day. I also believe the winner will probably have to post a 170+ figure. I'm not convinced TNO has a 170 performance in his locker. I believe Jezki, HF and Faugheen all do. I haven't alighted on any of them yet.

I have backed TNO antepost for this at 6's each way,I fell into the trap of he got hampered and was unlucky.I can't have Jezki after this seasons form,also he's prone to clout one and I'm not a fan of McCoy aggressively rousting him,I can see why BJG has never lost on him.If I'm honest I think faugheen is bomb proof and they won't need a pacemaker as they will ride him positively.FWIW I think the fly will follow him home and it will be between TNO and AF starting on for 3rd.

I've just watched TNO in the 2013 Neptune. He looked a grinding staying that day and seemed to love that hill, running away from everything. Only eight horses in that field, and a slowish pace.

As we have seen often with The New One he takes forever to get into top gear. In his last race he even looked like he was going to get beaten.

I thought is was a bad ride to be honest as he waited to long to get behind the horse.

STD actually gave the horse a shocking ride in the Champion Hurdle......Really!!! anyone who doubts that go watch the race again....Watch what he is doing coming down the hill....and listen for the words "and they're getting away from The New One" He sits there like he thinks he's Lester Piggott on Nijinsky and watched his main 3 dangers pull away from him.

By the time he wakes up to what's happening it's way too late and he's thrown the race away. Ifhe had got after the horse straight away he would have run them down no problem IMO.

Unfortunately for him he'll probably beat Jeziki and Hurricane Fly but Faugheen is the worst type of horse possible he could face. Faugheen has about 5 different gears and can change pace so quickly I just can't see The New One coping with that especially with his current jockey on board

I'm not a fan of McCoy aggressively rousting him,I can see why BJG has never lost on him.

Can't have it, links.

Put Geraghty on Jezki against Hurricane Fly the four times they've met at Leopardstown, and the results are no different. And McCoy didn't do anything wrong when the pair met at Punchestown the back-end of last season. The suggestion that Jezki goes better for Geraghty is just bogus, imo.

Jezki should really be a good ride for AP..sit near the pace..kick from 2 out..how many times we seen it?..not really seeing him as a neg

our cat picked faugheen at xmas..so will win..but its how he wins now that will be interesting

Can't have it, links.

Put Geraghty on Jezki against Hurricane Fly the four times they've met at Leopardstown, and the results are no different. And McCoy didn't do anything wrong when the pair met at Punchestown the back-end of last season. The suggestion that Jezki goes better for Geraghty is just bogus, imo.

Maybe...... But as much as I want to crab HF grade one wins I can't because stats don't lie!

I take your point though.

If he wins on him on Tuesday I will concede to your point!

thats what makes me laugh tbh..not gettin at you here Links,,but lots of people nail their colours to the mast..make strong statements about horses..and even when they are wrong..still won't ever admit it..there are always excuses

i'd love it if people just came on and said..i got that wrong..but imo there are about 5% of people who can do this on this forum

people will rarely admit they are wrong..but you can guarantee the ones taking the pee out of someone for being wrong..are usually the worst offenders

A shame you feel that way, EC1.
I don't suppose you're seriously expecting every person on a forum who ever said something that was later proven wrong to have to say so, are you?
We're allowed to make subjective arguments, without having to apologise for it after the event.
I never apologised for believing Sizing Europe would win the Champion Hurdle (got plenty of stick for that) and that's because I obviously knew he'd win the Arkle and Champion Chase years later!. :)

Last edited:
not seeing the bad ride tbh..just seeing a horse get outpaced due to lack of tactical speed

I really think you disagree with people just for the hell of it.

Between 3.16sec and 3min38sec he lost 5-6 lengths on them and did virtually nothing about it.

At 3.40sec he realises they have gone clear of him and starts riding like his life depended on it.

If that had been McCoy Geraghty and Ruby on board they would have been after him like a shot and he wouldn't have lost 2 lengths let alone 6 lengths

Plus he'd have been in top gear much sooner and any the 3 would have probably won on him.

Exactly which part of that do you disagree with?

i disagree with people if i think they have read something wrong imo..thats what i always do Tanlic..your assertion that it was a bad ride imo is a wrong call

if TNO had been got after at that point he wouldn't have finished like he did..energy spent catching up at that point would have told later because they were really seriously racing at that point

its all down to the horse not having tactical speed the others had at that point imo..thats my view..it just doesn't sit with yours..its no big deal

Last edited:
Good job you two both agree on Faugheen as the winner because I'd hate to think what would happen after the race on Tuesday...

Looks like the fun will well and truly kick off the next day depending on who previals in the Champion Chase lol :)

Last edited:
A shame you feel that way, EC1.
I don't suppose you're seriously expecting every person on a forum who ever said something that was later proven wrong to have to say so, are you?
We're allowed to make subjective arguments, without having to apologise for it after the event.
I never apologised for believing Sizing Europe would win the Champion Hurdle (got plenty of stick for that) and that's because I obviously knew he'd win the Arkle and Champion Chase years later!. :)

its not really a shame..and yes..if people spend time giving an opposite view..then later have got it wrong..then yes..i would expect people to say so..otherwise what is the point?

if someone consistently gets it wrong..then maybe they should learn from it..if we do not learn anything then we are no better than betting shop fodder who always blame everyone bar themselves

we should all learn from misreading situations..i get it wrong lots..but to read the opposing views i've come across in about 8 years on here i would think i'm wrong 100% of the time...when i know i'm not

Most people re racing rarely admit they are wrong..there is always an excuse.

i would think on a forum where people are above average level re reading races..should have the ability to look post race and see their errors and admit them..otherwise how do you move on and improve if you never admit you got it wrong

Last edited:
Good job you two both agree on Faugheen as the winner because I'd hate to think what would happen after the race on Tuesday...

Looks like the fun will well and truly kick off the next day depending on who previals in the Champion Chase lol :)

cheltenham is a bit of fun to me though Marble..i absolutely love the whole thing..this weekend is my fav time of the racing year,,,the anticipation etc..i personally don't give a hoot what wins..i make my money mainly on the AW in wintertime..cheltenham isn't a serious money earner for me..its way too open for serious bets imo

if SS wins i'll be as happy as Larry..i want very good horses to show it

Last edited:
Back