Champion Hurdle

It's all the more strange when Osana and Punjabi ran almost exactly to the difference in their pre-race ratings. If this had been the Christmas Hurdle or the Fighting Fifth you can be damn sure they would have just rated the race through those.

Katchit was the best on the day but clearly is not the best hurdler around as I'm sure future results will prove.

I had a very quick look at the result section last night and my initial reaction is to conclude this was the best CH since Rooster Booster.

I'll add more next week or the week after once I've had a chance to do a more thorough analysis.

Punjabi was close up in the totesport trophy off top weight so I'm not sure he can be used to crab the form. Kawagino was beaten much further than in other attemtps.

Which is fine on your numbers DO, if the likes of Osana and Punjabi were higher going into it than the RP's.

Edit: I think I remember you had Osana on a mark of over 170 already?

Punjabi deserves credit for being the only horse to do anything from off the pace.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Mar 12 2008, 11:33 AM

Punjabi was close up in the totesport trophy off top weight so I'm not sure he can be used to crab the form.
According to the RP he ran to 160 in that race. The 5lb hike is baffling.

Why is it "baffling"? Hes a five year old in good hands. No reason at all why he couldnt improve that much surely?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Mar 12 2008, 11:37 AM
Which is fine on your numbers DO, if the likes of Osana and Punjabi were higher going into it than the RP's.

Edit: I think I remember you had Osana on a mark of over 170 already?

Punjabi deserves credit for being the only horse to do anything from off the pace.
Yes but there had to be a question mark of some sort over Osana's big rating. I remember Suny telling me he thought I was going to have to review my high rating for Katchit too!

DO - do you think that the form between Katchit and Sublimity from the Bula been pretty much replicated? Is there a case to make that yesterday was effectively a re-run of the Bula with the difference that Katchit and Sublimity stayed prominent early on rather than give Osana too much rope?

I agree with Sheikh, Katchit was best on day, but a 171 performance :eek:

This reminds of Notnowcato being rated 127 when he beat DT , subsequent events showed that rating to be carp and subsequent events will show this one to be carp too imo

I wonder if everyone would crab Katchit so much if he were 16 or 16.2 hh rather than barely 15 -
What does he still have to prove ffs? He's won some of the top hurdle races around, in most going bar extremes - his will to win is certainly Champion class and entitles him to a top rating.

Tho I still think SE would have beaten him yesterday if something had not gone amiss

So who is superior? Which horse of his contemporaries has currently won more Grade 1 hurdles?

You can only win in the conditions on the day! Imo for Katchit to do it - and more than once - against vastly physically superior animals DOES entitle him. Ratings do go up and down too of course...

I know these things have to be judged over a period of time - all the same the horse is STILL not getting the respect he deserves, and it's damned annoying :brows:

Imo for Katchit to do it - and more than once - against vastly physically superior animals DOES entitle him

I'm not sure what you mean by more than once, but in any case he's entitled to be called a Champion Hurdle winner.

But it doesn't automatically entitle him to a rating of more than 170 - that's the real point I'm trying to make here; that the RP are once again over-rating races run at the Festival.

Ratings do go up and down too of course...

And his deserves to go up. Just not as much as the RP think (based on their own previous ratings).

I know these things have to be judged over a period of time - all the same the horse is STILL not getting the respect he deserves, and it's damned annoying

It's not a matter of respect, it's about trying to judge the merit of the form in the cold light of day. Don't take it personally on the horse's behalf!

So what are the RP saying? He's a 166 horse when he's at his best, but when he's not he's a 156 horse and we're so confident of that that we're going to rate the Champion Hurdle through it?

Jebus.

No comments on it being 2 sec slower than the Supreme? I'm sure some looking to knock a supposed 171+ performance could do so on that front.

Compare Fred Winter and CH times and you have about 34lbs difference, the Fred Winter was won by a 133 rated horse

That makes Katchit 167 unless you think Fred Winter winner ran above his mark

What they've done is rate it through Straw Bear and Afsoun's performance in the Bula:

2329165330_b8da51b075_o.jpg

Edit: only those who ran in both races are included there.

Back