Champions Day

Awful wasn't he. He gets all the plaudits O'Brien but i've gotta say, wtf has he done to that animal since the Irish Champion?

He ran ok on decent ground at Epsom. I don't see why certain trainers are untouchable.
I hope the people who got 60s laid it all off for a tidy profit.

I like how Richard Hills has become Jamie Spencer for the day.

O'Brien imo. That horse has lost a stone in form in a little over a month. And he had a nice break after the Irish Derby. What's gone wrong?

That must be the worst Champion Stakes in recent memory.

I was looking through the past winners and somewhere along the line it's been won by a genuine G1 horse so I decided F&G would probably win but I wasn't prepared to back it and couldn't decide with what to oppose it.

Credit to Frankie D on the Morning Line. He mentioned two horses, Twice Over and Pipedreamer, and both have run to their maximum on the day.

I ended up letting Darley Sun go unbacked. I just couldn't get excited about the price but he's won like an odds on shot. Very impressive.

Agree DO about Darley Sun. Have to be impressed by that, sometimes, we should not ignore something staring right at our face!

It's roll of honour is probably on a par with the International, plenty of top class winers but the odd dodgy one like Literato. I half expected a perverse result when they showed a replay of his victory.

Pleased with Darley Sun even though I only had a pony on. I haven't the foggiest what Fallon was up to on Fair Along. Drawn 29 and yet he ended up up right on the inside.

How tough and likable is Akmal? Was always pulling out enough there. If people think Sea The Stars is a hard horse to rate, take a look at this fella!

Much like last year it is the horses in behind the winner that should be kept on the right side of - Steinbeck and indeed Fencing Master (who again did a remarkable impression of his father).

Watching it again, I thought Fencing Master was particularly impressive. Clearly a lazy sort, I would imagine Ballydoyle themselves do no know how good he is and he appears to be carrying plenty of condition in the parade ring. Very interesting contender who should really thrive for racing as a three year old.

Richard Hills rode at least three stinkers and then a blinder on the one I did not back .

Terrific nous by HRAC to realise that Twice Over really needed to get his confidence back after that Eclipse . Mawatheeq looks a real improving colt though - Sariska well no surprise that it was too short ( she was the Leger winner ) but Fallon had her far too far behind early . He did not shine on either Fair Along or Oasis Knight either but rode a terrific race on the Channon filly .

F & G needs a break and a quiet winter - hopefully he wil have a 4 yo career like Duke of M rather than Frozen Fire . He was never going today.

Liked Fencing Master most of all about the DEwhurst field but Steinbeck could be the one - Xtension's effort will cheer up the hannons considering the Coventry .

Richard Hills rode at least three stinkers and then a blinder on the one I did not back .

You think? Didn't do much wrong on Ouqba (who I backed) and Mawatheeq probably wasn't quite quick enough to do exactly what Hills wanted. The ride on the other horse didn't sound too great mind, but the Akmal ride was probably the ride of the day.

Back