Champions Day

Can someone explain why the Arc is attracting such low ratings ? Is it the proximity of Youmzain ?

Sea The Stars was dossing in the Arc when he hit the front. Carson for once made a very acute observation of how his ears were back and his eyes were looking for other horses - Kinane said it was his easiest win of the season . Moreover , he won despite a troubled passage and pulling very hard.It does not matter what he does but the mechanistic arithmetic of ratings means he will always be massively underrated .

Fundamentally, it is why once you get out of handicaps and lower listed and group races where horses run against each other more frequently ratings mean sod all at the very top level .

If they are going to run F & g again - a Newmarket race with good ground or softer would be much better than flogging him round Santa Anita in the heat - STS has broken his heart . He needs a confidence booster and with the exception of Zacinto he should have the likely runners covered.

Zacinto has never run over the trip, isn't bred to stay it and RVW was anywhere up to ten pounds below his best at Ascot. Unbelievable price.

Can someone explain why the Arc is attracting such low ratings ? Is it the proximity of Youmzain ?

Yep. People have no problem throwing out 130 ratings to Conduit, but even hint at that sort of mark for Youmzain and they come out in a cold sweat. Maybe if the latter was trained by Stoute (who's animals always seem to be overrated, Zacinto the latest example) this wouldn't be the case.

Last edited:
I don't see how Sea The Star's has broken Fame And Glory's heart or bottomed him. Their clash in the Irish Champion was over with nearly a furlong and a half to go with Murtagh been far from hard on him when it was clear he was well beaten - and he was a fresh horse going into that race.

Last edited:

The proximity of La Boum. The Racing Post, for example, have had to rate her as having improved half a stone on her 19th run at the age of 6.

To be fair, it was her first run over the trip for two years. There is no doubt it wasn't anywhere near STS best run, but mid 120s is taking the piss.

Her is refferring to the mark allocated the filly to justify STS mark in the low 130s

STS ran to around 134 in the Arc, if that means giving the mare 122 or something in that ballpark so be it.

I bet the Abbaye winner got more than 120 and he was winning handicaps in the summer. Talk about pulling a rating out of a hat.

Now 5.2 on Betfair. Interesting to hear what the plans might be.

from an interview with Aiden O'Brien in yesterday's Irish Times

"The Breeder's Cup is a possible for him but another option is the Champion Stakes at Newmarket. He has come out of the Arc very well and is in good form."

He also said that Steinbeck and Fencing Master were Ballydoyle's likely runners in the Dewhurst.

Fame And Glory has been confirmed as a likely starter in the Emirates Airline Champion Stakes.
The Irish Derby winner has reportedly taken within his stride the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, in which he finished sixth, and will now head to Newmarket next Saturday.
O'Brien may also saddle pacemaker Set Sail in the Group One contest over 10 furlongs.
The Ballydoyle handler said: "Fame And Glory will go to the Champion Stakes at Newmarket, with Set Sail also a possible runner.
"Fame And Glory came out of the Arc very well and we are happy with him since.
"Things didn't work out for him in the Arc and we are looking forward to him running next weekend."
William Hill installed Fame And Glory a 4-6 chance (with a run) for the Champion Stakes.

Would be fascinating to see who was snapping up the ante-post quotes about him yesterday prior to a story regarding his possible participation in today's Post.

I'm opposing him - I think he's had a tough season, mentally as much as physically
I've got a bit on Sariska at 5.5 and will prob put a bit more on later in the week if she goes back out - she's 4.5 right now. I'll also do the FCT I expect... F&G is 2.5

I do not get your theory that the horse has had a hard season. Two easy trial wins, finished off well in a slowly run race at Epsom and was an easy winner at The Curragh. Had the long break through mid summer and was not subject to a hard race at Leopardstown once STS swept past him.

But let's hope the market thinks differently...

I took some of the big prices earlier in the week (as per this thread) - I just want to see the horse sit in right behind his pacemaker this time and take it up a long way out. A bit of rain would suit though.

You are prob right Gal, F&G should beat her on figures. But he's had to go to the well, and had the loss of confidence that losing brings. Sariska is lightly raced and will be a fresh horse. Worth a speculative bet imo, although I'd be happier if she had raced against colts! She's only been beaten since May by Dar Re Mi

Last edited:
Missed the fancy prices, but for me Fame is almost as much of a cert as New Approach was last year. Managed to get 2.82 on Betfair and with the money already down on Never on Sunday (could go for a forecast as well) I think I have the race covered.

Back