Champions Day

All about opinions as usual but I think minding is better than the colts but the drop in trip and the long season could be against her. Whatever the lads do seems to come off just now and I'd watch the market in the 10 mins before the race to see how much of the coolmore millions will go on her. At the prices I think jet setting would be worth a nibble.

The card on Saturday is a terrific one.

And the weather forecast I saw on the BBC earlier suggests decent weather tomorrow and Saturday so it should take place on perfect ground.

Really looking forward to it.

I struggle to see why Almanzor for all his talent is so short - Found is 2 lb better off and improved to win the Arc and tends to be at her best in the late autumn . I think they ought to be joint favourites .

Found produced a fine kick at Leopardstown but Almanzor easily matched it and was still cruising when he got to her quarters. He then had to fight to get past her though and was only a head or a neck up 50 yards out until Seamie Heffernan accepted the situation, no doubt preferring to save something for the Arc. The 2lb swing makes it very interesting on paper, but Almanzor's tactical speed is a serious weapon.

If you subscribe to the wfa concept - and I do - the 2lb pull is of no consequence whatsoever. It simply represents the gradual unwinding of the allowance. They meet on exactly the same terms on Saturday as they did at Leopardstown: weight for age and sex.

Backed Dream Walker e.w NRNB in the Balmoral tonight, the horse is in good form , improved quite a bit with the headgear on. I don't think Brian Ellison is sending it to Ascot to disgrace itself.

Last edited:
Surprised to see Speedy Boarding declared for the Filly and Mares, especially given her trainer said this. "She looked like she really stayed on so it will either be the Opera or the Fillies and Mares at Ascot. It won't be both."

Just goes to show trainers can (and do) change their minds, (or owners change it for them), one of the two.

Last edited:
I'm keen on the chance of Yuften in the last - nicely handicapped on his best form, eyecatching run last time out over an inadequate trip - but just wonder about the stable form as Roger Charlton's recent strike rate is well below his usual. For that reason, I'll also back Ajfaan, another who will be suited by a return to a mile.

In the QEII, at morning prices Galileo Gold is well overpriced but the lack of market confidence is striking - 4/1 earlier in the week, 6/1 now. It might just reflect the money for Minding but it tempers confidence.

Almanzor's turn of foot to prevail in the Champion Stakes.

Galileo Gold was equally weak prior to the St James's Palace.

Those Minding performance ratings from Timeform are as follows

Guineas 121
Irish Guineas 122
Oaks 118+
Pretty Polly 118+
Nassau 120+
Irish Champion 120+

according to my calcs that 1 draw isn't particularly ideal for Almanzor..it may cost him a couple of pounds..which at this level could be key.

My main neagive for Almanzor is Soumillon's record at Ascot.

Soumillon at Ascot = 3/47

His AE..using BFSP is just 0.56

In Group 1 races he is 2/25..AE 0.41

In races over the round course he is 1/20..AE = 0.29 :blink:

Obviously that don't mean horse can't win..but it tells me that he is poor value re the fact he wins less than half the times he should do in Group 1's. Add that to the less than ideal 1 box and it doesn't encourage me to back him at current price. Its not about can or can't win..its simply a fact of % play..over a series of bets..he does poorly..well below market expectation at this track...particularly on the round course.

Last edited:
The draw stats from 42 races over 10f with 10 or more runners

low third........ 8/156 ........AE 0.51
middle third.... 20/168........AE 1.22
high third........14/183........AE 0.96

Last edited:
Galileo Gold was equally weak prior to the St James's Palace.

Those Minding performance ratings from Timeform are as follows

Guineas 121
Irish Guineas 122
Oaks 118+
Pretty Polly 118+
Nassau 120+
Irish Champion 120+

Thanks for that.

Certainly not as clear-cut as the RPRs but equally no suggestion that the Irish Champion represented some sort of step forward.

Anyway, we'll see.

Hope you're wrong about Almanzor, EC.

I'll be interested to see how US Army Ranger runs today. I expressed the view after the Derby that he might be best at 10f and if, as seems likely, he gets a truly-run race today he could go well. Can't bring myself to back him to win but I've had a dabble in the place-only market on Betfair.

The draw stats from 42 races over 10f with 10 or more runners

low third........ 8/156 ........AE 0.51
middle third.... 20/168........AE 1.22
high third........14/183........AE 0.96

You could get a good payout if you were to play all the middle drawn horses (4-7) one 250/1, 150/1, 33/1 and 25/1 shot and the stat actually hit.
Or eliminate the surely no hopers Maverick Wave and Gabrial and double down on Racing History and Midterm. Hmmm.

You could get a good payout if you were to play all the middle drawn horses (4-7) one 250/1, 150/1, 33/1 and 25/1 shot and the stat actually hit.
Or eliminate the surely no hopers Maverick Wave and Gabrial and double down on Racing History and Midterm. Hmmm.

i don't tend read draw stats in that way tbh..all they telling me is that you need a few lbs in hand if drawn low,,it gives you a couple mid and you run about par in high

they won't make big priced horses win imo..they just knock a few or add a few lbs

the jock stat..is more telling to me..his record on horses at less than 5/1 at ascot reads

7/2 achilles of troy LOST
2/1 Dylan Thomas LOST
7/2 Darjima LOST
11/4 Darjina LOST

5/2 Prohibit WON
1/1 Makfi LOST
3/1 Havane Smoker LOST

11/4 Shea Shea LOST
6/4 Cirrus Des Aigles LOST
7/2 Dalkala LOST
9/2
Shea Shea LOST
9/4 Vazira LOST
7/4 Cirrus Des Aigles LOST
3/1 Ervedya WON
9/2 Candarliya LOST
9/2 Ervedya LOST

I've had one bet on the card. Seventh Heaven at 15/8 or 7/4 is by far the best bet available today.

I'm keen on Simple Verse in the first, making the assumption this race comes a bit soon for OoSG. I like following a filly in form at this time of year.

Last edited:
its reported that the ground hasn't got much give in it..which puts me off Fascinating Rock...i think The Grey Gatsby will do for me at the prices..particularly with 5yo's doing well in this

Last edited:
i don't tend read draw stats in that way tbh..all they telling me is that you need a few lbs in hand if drawn low,,it gives you a couple mid and you run about par in high

they won't make big priced horses win imo..they just knock a few or add a few lbs

the jock stat..is more telling to me..his record on horses at less than 5/1 at ascot reads

7/2 achilles of troy LOST
2/1 Dylan Thomas LOST
7/2 Darjima LOST
11/4 Darjina LOST

5/2 Prohibit WON
1/1 Makfi LOST
3/1 Havane Smoker LOST

11/4 Shea Shea LOST
7/2 Dalkala LOST
9/2
Shea Shea LOST
9/4 Vazira LOST
7/4 Cirrus Des Aigles LOST
3/1 Ervedya WON
9/2 Candarliya LOST
9/2 Ervedya LOST

Just a bit of tongue in cheek. I could not have either of the other two.
The one hole combined with the Soumillon stat would make a lay of Alamanzor a serious proposition.

Just going to be a watching race for me and if he wins he is probably worth a few pounds more than might be apparent.

Signs of Blessing is a relatively big price in the sprint - Strong E/W bet for me. Ground might be a little quick for Twilight Son and QR and Shalaa still has to prove he's the horse he looked as a 2yo; Meccas Angel won't stay imo and Librisa Breeze is the price he is because of track form and a crazy turn of foot in his last race but this is a completely different race and a different trip. Why's he's shorter than a proven G1 sprinter is beyond me.

Agree EC but usually he needs soft in the description somewhere to run at his absolute peak, which I think he needs to to win this.

Tin Man not quite good enough for me, sry Marble!

No horse has ever done the Arc/Champion Stakes double and I couldn't tell you how many have attempted it.The races are just too close together at the end of a hard year-as much as I love Found she cannot win today.

Back