Change Just One Result...

His Arc was mesmeric, a stupendous result on that going. You could have rated it through Noah's Arc for all I care.

How often is there a big price horsed placed in the Arc? Viewing a horse's ability purely through distances to other horses, is as limited as ratings themselves. There is a bigger picture with many more factors.

They made a lot of cash flogging Alamshar to Japan on the back of that result didn't they? Shrewd.

By "no form" do you mean your reading of the ratings column? How about a line through High Chapparal? Oh hang on a minute IF he wasn't over the top.

It's a well established fact (if there could ever be such things in racing) High Chapparal ran below form in the Arc.

They met once, Alamshar won. Dalakhani may well be your favourite horse - that does not mean he was the better than Alamshar. Alamshar has a rock solid win in a hot King George. Dalakhani beat Mubtaker by 3/4 of a length.

If you want to talk stallions then that's another topic. I would however have credited you with the knowledge that they based the respective locations, allocated mares and fees on factors in additon to race records.

It is very likely that High Chapparal ran below form in the Arc. But if you want an established fact, it is that the winner cannot have run to his highest rating on that going.

Despite that he got the job done in breathtaking fashion.

But hey, Mubtaker was 3/4 of a length away...

Alamshar on the other hand won over half of his races!

It is very likely that High Chapparal ran below form in the Arc. But if you want an established fact, it is that the winner cannot have run to his highest rating on that going.

Despite that he got the job done in breathtaking fashion.

But hey, Mubtaker was 3/4 of a length away...

Alamshar on the other hand won over half of his races!

That is fair enough Betsmate, you are perfectly right to love the horse for how he did it. But equally it is then understandable if others can question the horse due to the form he showed and the huge rating he recieved.

Going to be a cracking sire though.

Agree with that last line. Would love to read a book someday on Aga Khan studs .. would be fascinating.

But equally it is then understandable if others can question the horse due to the form he showed and the huge rating he recieved.

I wouldn`t say 134 was huge. Same or similar as Sinndar and Hurricane Run - and I would say he was in the same ballpark as those two. Better if anything than the latter.

Crisp not getting beaten by Red Rum
Rummy would still have been a legend for his double

Fab thread !!

Can I have four though?? (pretty please??!)

Dancing Brave in the Derby
Silver Patriach in the Derby
Cacoethes in the Derby
Happy Hussar would have won the Grand Military instead of going down by a nose....

thakyou!! xxxx

Hawk Wing & Rock Of Gibraltar in the 2000 Guineas....the draw left a very nasty taste in the mouth. It actually slots in with the Moscow slip up, just leaves an unsatisfactory feeling.

Mostly for financial reasons - it didn't really affect the horse's reputation in the end - but mine would be Dylan Thomas to hold on in the Derby.

JUST SO to beat MINNEHOMA in the National
DANCING BRAVE to beat SHARASTANI
CARNIVAL DREAM to beat whatever it was called that beat her a nose as a 2yo

Dancing Brave certainly has to be high on the list
Devon Loch standing up would have been good too!

Although not a close finish, if Simon Sherwood had ridden Desert Orchid in the 1987 King George, I'm sure that he would have beaten Nupsala.

A senseless ride cost the great grey five straight wins in the race. :mad:

I would rather have liked Nick Dundee to have stood up in his Sun Alliance. I think we all agree he'd have won by 100yds and trotted up in the next three or four Gold Cups.

Back