Change Just One Result...

Only three of them were over 12f though. Not that it matters, Hawk Wing won less than half of his but he was still better than Rock of Gibraltar.

Because he put up one "brilliant" performance where the ground was slippy on top and beat a field of horses who didn't handle the ground?

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed that performance but I'm sure basically every jockey got off that day and said their horses hated the ground.

The ground would have inconvenienced Alamshar more than the others.

He was a doubt coming upto the race because of the ground, iirc.

Persian Punch to get his Grp 1 race in the Ascot Gold Cup of 2001 when he went down by a head to Royal Rebel.

Altho I also admire Royal Rebel and Murtagh gave him a grand ride that day.

I guess if Punch had won a Grp 1 his reputation as a street fighter may never have materialised and he might not have been as famous as he was, just a horse who only manged to win one Grp1. Perhaps things happen for a reason after all.

Flagship Uberalles to beat Edredon Bleu and Direct Route in the Queen Mum where he started favourite. I had him ante-post after he won the Arkle at something like 16s, and topped up a bit during the year.

I was convinced at the time that he was the bees knees.

Flagship Uberalles to beat Edredon Bleu and Direct Route in the Queen Mum where he started favourite. I had him ante-post after he won the Arkle at something like 16s, and topped up a bit during the year.

I was convinced at the time that he was the bees knees.

That is a good one Bar, that race remains one of my all time favourites, those 3 horses were so tough and gutsy. Flagship was my favourite and I just knew one day he would win a Champion Chase .....sadly not that day though. When I watch the race I still get goosebumps. What a ride from McCoy.

I wanted them all to win, Direct Route was such a wonderful horse who rarely got his ground and of course the ground that day was perfect for him and Edredon, but not so good for Flagship.

Gloria Victis .... to have survived .... the 2nd last .... Cheltenham GC 2000.

Oh God yes, hadn't 'forgotten' that but I do my best never to think about it :(

Another great suggestion, with which I heartily concur:
" Persian Punch to get his Grp 1 race in the Ascot Gold Cup of 2001 when he went down by a head to Royal Rebel"

With ref to the Irish National thread, Punch's death right in front of me at Ascot was the most dreadfully upsetting thing I've seen on a course. I went totally to pieces... Would that I'd never seen that

Dancing Brave in the Derby.

I still wish the cameraman had shown him more respect in the Arc, instead of focusing so obviously on Bering. Missed some of the Brave's stunning speed there.

By the way, can anyone tell me if Dancing Brave has a race named after him?

I have few..

Dayjur jumping the shadow is the obvious one. He's one of the greatest sprinters this country has ever produced and deserved to win that race.

Zilzal to get a good break from the stalls in the 1989 BC Mile. He was the best horse in the race but he lost all chance at the start.

Well Chief to have stayed on his feet in the 2006 Champion Chase. He would have hammered Newmill and won the Champion Chase that his talent deserved.

I had it in my head before I opened the link that there is a Dancing Brave race at Sandown every year.

Thanks, Gareth.

While it's true what you say about Sakhee, I still think Dancing Brave deserved more than that.

I am sentimental, though. :)

I have few..

Dayjur jumping the shadow is the obvious one. He's one of the greatest sprinters this country has ever produced and deserved to win that race.

Zilzal to get a good break from the stalls in the 1989 BC Mile. He was the best horse in the race but he lost all chance at the start.

Well Chief to have stayed on his feet in the 2006 Champion Chase. He would have hammered Newmill and won the Champion Chase that his talent deserved.

Arazi mate, you've lost the plot there:whistle:

Amongst all the furore over Zilzal not winning ( was always going to boil over and not run his race but thats another story ), it was overlooked just how desperately unlucky Most Welcome was in 3rd, at something like 90/1 OUCH!!

Talking of Most Welcome, I would like to reverse the 1987 Derby to have him beat Reference Point. Cheers.

A few courageous defeats I would like to reverse... Night Nurse to beat Little Owl in The Gold Cup, Diminuendo to beat Minster Son in The St Leger, and High And Low to beat Nedawi in the same race, Owens Quest to hold on against Jonaem at Sedgefield, and probably loads more that will spring to mind.

You mean the 2007 Champion Chase and Voy Por Ustedes? ;)

It was Kauto who hit the deck in 2006. :(

Ardross to have won the Arc.

Giants' Causeway/Observatory at Ascot- just because I was there.
Also the former's jockey not dropping his reins in the US.

I just wish that Stormin' Norman hadn't ridden Decoupage in the 2000 Arkle thinking he was a fecking motorbike. :confused:

I had it in my head before I opened the link that there is a Dancing Brave race at Sandown every year.

Are you thinking of the Brigadier Gerard?

Agreed, Well Chief and Kauto to have both stood up in those consecutive Champion Chases would have been terrific

Manduro not to have fractured his leg in the Prix Foy is another for me as I'm sure he would have won the Arc, if getting there sound ... unpopular though I know that would have been on this board :p

We've got quite a list now haven't we, classy horses and great races which could so easily have turned out differently. But have we forgotten the losers - no we have not!

Oh, forgot ... Youmzain to rightfully have been awarded the Arc.

I was at Longchamp the day Price Tag got thrown out of the French 1000 and what Dylan Thomas did was ten times worse.

I also had backed Youmzain to quite a decent stake at 95/1, and would have been in a few grand.

Back