Cheltenham 2009

Ah good, a thread worth posting in

I was on the golf course yesterday and, for some reason, started thinking about Glencove Marina as I teed up on the 11th. I promptly drove two balls out of bounds and finished with an 82 [nett]. What a bloody shame - on both counts

Ah good, a thread worth posting in

I was on the golf course yesterday and, for some reason, started thinking about Glencove Marina as I teed up on the 11th. I promptly drove two balls out of bounds and finished with an 82 [nett]. What a bloody shame - on both counts

Did I see someone "dissing" you on the betfair Irish forum earlier on today.

About Uncle Junior - I have followed him closely for the last 12 months and there is something about him that I just cant figure out.He was brutal in his first couple of hurdles and then began to get his act together.At the festival he appeared to be cruising 2 out but emptied fairly fast.Mullins thought enough of him to race him at Auteuil.Not sure if he is a slow learner,a good ground horse or lacking in stamina.An entry over fences next week wouldn't be a positive in my opinion.

Two miles and six over fences against rubbish.He has any amount in hand on his best form but he has to prove he can jump fences reasonably.If he goes too sort I might lay him.

This time last year Uncle Junior was winning his bumper at Bellewstown. I would write too much into it.

Did I see someone "dissing" you on the betfair Irish forum earlier on today.

Thanks for alerting me to that, just had a look....it's a familiar complaint, given that it relates to an old pic they're a couple of years off a more realistic estimate of my current state!!!

Say no more...best keep it sufficiently vague!

I laid Uncle Junior at 4-6.He apearedto be travelling nicely but despite finishing strongly he couldn't catch the winner.It reminded me so much of his first hurdle race where he travelled for most of the race but couldn't beat inferior opponents.I would be looking to lay him again next time -maybe he is a slow learner.

After a couple of disappointing efforts over hurdles he ran at Gowran where Ruby (I THINK) got frustrated about a mile out and gave him some fairly sharp reminders when he was well out of contention.After that he ran on all the way to the line-maybe he needs the full works and not to be nursed around.

Ruby didn't look to give him too hard a time of it tonight. Held on to him pretty much until after the last (mistake there didn't help his cause). He took to fences pretty well on the whole though, considering he was an atrotious hurdler.

He struck me last year as a horse that can travel quite well but is very one-paced when push comes to shove. 3 miles and cut in the ground should suit him nicely.

I'd love to know what price he was on Betfair about two out tonight.

Ruby didn't look to give him too hard a time of it tonight. Held on to him pretty much until after the last (mistake there didn't help his cause). He took to fences pretty well on the whole though, considering he was an atrotious hurdler.

He struck me last year as a horse that can travel quite well but is very one-paced when push comes to shove. 3 miles and cut in the ground should suit him nicely.

I'd love to know what price he was on Betfair about two out tonight.

He went 2-5 a long way out.

From The Sportinglife:

Owner Harry Findlay has confirmed that Denman will reappear in the Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup at Newbury on November 29.
The Paul Nicholls-trained gelding landed the early season feature last season before sweeping all before him en route to Cheltenham Gold Cup glory.
Most connections would rule out handicaps for such a highly-rated horse but, despite being perched on 182 following his Gold Cup win, Findlay is happy to take on all-comers.
And the professional gambler is typically upbeat about the prospects of his star performer, claiming to have already backed the horse for the handicap.
"I don't think it is a big ask in the Hennessy - I think he is a certainty," he told The Racing Post.
"I have already had a bet - I had a case of vintage champagne with the handicapper Phil Smith that he wins it.
"He said to me at the awards dinner that 182 wouldn't scare them off, and I think he is mad.
"Everything has gone to plan since day one and we have said all along that this could be his optimum year, and I have seen nothing to contradict that.
"Trainers are knowledgeable people and I don't think many want to run their horses against Denman.
"If I owned a good, progressive chaser, the number one thing in my mind would be, whatever I do, I don't want to run into a horse like Denman.
"I genuinely feel that most horses who will be taking on Denman this year will be running for the place money - and that will suit us just fine!"

I doff my cap to Harry Findlay, I really do.

He may be sweatier than the chain-gang scene from Cool Hand Luke, but I utterly admire his fearless campaigning of Denman. I hope he sticks to his word, runs the horse under punitive conditions at Newbury, and shows everyone exactly how a top-class chaser should be campaigned.

Take note, Ms Knight.

Back