Cheltenham 2015

Interesting to see what they do with CF and Djakadam. Whether they split them up, Ryanair/Gold Cup, visa versa.

Absolutely. He's been their number 1 novice the last couple of years which means they stick him in the most prestigeous novice hurdle and chase of the week. That can only point to a Gold Cup surely.

Yeah. He runs very free to get home over 3m3f. That would be my worry for ante post. If he stays, he could be a monster.

Really? After his last run.?

I think he's getting a bit overrated. We are not looking at a Kauto or sprinter sacre here at all

I think we all just knew when jezki and my tent pulled clear there was only ever 1 winner. MTOY has nightmares about that hill and no matter how quick they go upfront he pulls like a steam engine. Where as jezki stays further.. I don't think my tent will ever reverse form round cheltenham..

I think we all just knew when jezki and my tent pulled clear there was only ever 1 winner. MTOY has nightmares about that hill and no matter how quick they go upfront he pulls like a steam engine. Where as jezki stays further.. I don't think my tent will ever reverse form round cheltenham..

I'm a little bit with you there

Bar. Come on now. its probably easier to avoid a 1/100 event than get a horse in his third season to finally settle. But I'm not convinced that is all there is to it

I think it has to be looked at the other way too. Interference like that very often results in the horse nit getting close at all or simply tailing off. Even if they are as good as anything in the race.

Last edited:
Think the disappointing thing for TNO fans was that it was expected that he would lose ground by making one jumping mistake. He didnt. In 99% of NH races, being a couple of lengths further back than desired that early doesn't matter, in the Champion Hurdle I think its important.

If Nicky sends him to cheltenham later this year and he settles and storms home then yes you can make a case for him but he's not on the ante post list... Hurricane won't come over in fact I think they'll retire him.. The novices might be half decent but TNO had that power surge of pace over a furlong I think without interference he would of shot passed them all.. With another year on his back I think he could be better next year.. Un de seux could be anything but Mullins will have 3/4 for this race so may not even come over

Think the disappointing thing for TNO fans was that it was expected that he would lose ground by making one jumping mistake. He didnt. In 99% of NH races, being a couple of lengths further back than desired that early doesn't matter, in the Champion Hurdle I think its important.

I don't agree with that. It's not just being knocked back a couple of lengths (sam reckoned 6) but the loss of momentum and all that goes with it.

Yes in a slow run small field it won't always be critical but that is far from 99 % of races.

Put it this way... 99% of the time When you see interference like that to your horse, you do not give it a moments thought?

I'm not just following my money here but I seriously think that it was some achievement for this horse to get where he did

If Nicky sends him to cheltenham later this year and he settles and storms home then yes you can make a case for him but he's not on the ante post list... Hurricane won't come over in fact I think they'll retire him.. The novices might be half decent but TNO had that power surge of pace over a furlong I think without interference he would of shot passed them all.. With another year on his back I think he could be better next year.. Un de seux could be anything but Mullins will have 3/4 for this race so may not even come over
not sure he'll have 3 or 4. annie and vautour probably go chasing.

TNO was outpaced regardless, and only came into the finish when others had run their race. He's no laydown for the sharp 2.5m at Aintree either, as illustrated when beaten by Zarkandar last year, who's no noted speedball himself.
MTOY might just go chasing next season and would be an absolute stone-jugger for the Arkle, where his propensity to pull wouldn't be nearly the same problem.

Last edited:
I keep reading that Hurricane Fly is now too old ..but how is that possible when just a few days ago...he had beaten the main rivals this season...trainer said he was better than ever..improving even

He has run one below par race probablyon ground too quick for him...but that makes him too old

I keep reading that Hurricane Fly is now too old ..but how is that possible when just a few days ago...he had beaten the main rivals this season...trainer said he was better than ever..improving even

He has run one below par race probablyon ground too quick for him...but that makes him too old
i think there's strong evidence now he just doesn't run right up to his mark at cheltenham. and it's to his credit he's won two champion hurdles there.

i think there's strong evidence now he just doesn't run right up to his mark at cheltenham. and it's to his credit he's won two champion hurdles there.

tend to agree...the age thing is a nonsense imo...unless he's slowed down quite a lot in 7 days

this years field was a strong one...the ground would have not really been to his strengths

when he wins again...i wonder if he will suddenly be deemed young again

I don't agree with that. It's not just being knocked back a couple of lengths (sam reckoned 6) but the loss of momentum and all that goes with it.

Yes in a slow run small field it won't always be critical but that is far from 99 % of races.

Put it this way... 99% of the time When you see interference like that to your horse, you do not give it a moments thought?

I'm not just following my money here but I seriously think that it was some achievement for this horse to get where he did

I think you are agreeing with me. Its not the 2l distance that he lost that mattered. It meant that to recover that distance into a position he was happy with, he would have had to use too much energy in a fast run championship race too early. Consequently he was a a length or two farther from the leaders coming down the hill, too much to make up into the final 2f. He would probably have been outpaced regardless when the pace picked up, but might have been in a position to guard against it bar for the interference. Im not sure he can be seen as the moral winner though.

In some respects Hurricane Fly is like Kauto Star. Neither were at their very best at Cheltenham but they both had the class to win multiple times regardless. True Champions both, but Hurricane Fly has never quite been given the respect he deserves as the true champion he is.

Back