Cheltenham 2016/2017

Riding slower than last year. Timed from jumping first hurdle

2016 3.40.47
2017 3.47.42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes. Respectable time. Good to soft ground I'd imagine all round. But just shows you it was no where near G/S - soft in places last year.

Altior would no doubt have won but if anyone tells me he's in the same class as Douvan or Sprinter they need a hard slap :)

Got to sort out his jumping if he wants to get close to Douvan. Spends way too much time in the air.

They're riding on dead ground too lads so you must take that into account. He's won an Arkle by 6L on what Nico described there as 'slower ground than he expected' on the chase. Douvan won his by 7 on better ground. Credit Nico for pulling Altior out once Charbel made a mistake 3 out!! If he stayed where he was he could've been on the floor.

Last edited:
Ground or no ground when you compare Arkle's Douvan injected so much pace going to the second last he got there 5 lengths ahead of Altior and maintained that without coming out of 3rd gear.

There simply is no comparison plus Douvan will improve even more next year but Altior won't. He's way too racey IMO and he's a keep finder and that sort only go one way. Only a a matter of time until he's beaten.

What's annoying is Willie might now stay at 2 miles because he must feel confident that he can dominate the QMCC for the next few years

For Douvan to move on he needs a replacement and I can't think of one although Melon would be my choice for next years Arkle without hesitation

We will have abetter chance to compare Altior to Douvan today as the ground seems unlikely to change too much........Can't wait

Fist
The ground was borderline good yesterday, judged on the CH time, and if it follows the usual pattern, it'll speed up each day until they water.

I thought Altior didn't look quite as good in his coat as he did last year. I am often swayed by paddock pick and IMO, he didn't have quite the same sparkle this year as last when he was stunning. Can't say whether Charbel (who did look well) would have beaten him as its hard to judge it from the lawn.

(Mind you Willie Mullins' horses always look dull, with no proper neck muscles and like whippets but they invariably bang a few in!)

Back