Cheltenham 2017/18

My LRF still says heavy snow around the first weekend in March then freezing hard.

The silver lining - rainbow, even - is that the temperatures are forecast to rise during Cheltenham week then fall again for a couple of weeks after.

I hope they shovel off any snow that does fall rather than let it melt into the ground.

The worry is that low temperatures will affect grass growth and then a very little rain , 10mm could change going to bottomless with no skin /grass cover as happened Bobsworth and Coneygree years.
Luckily that happened Friday but were it to rain earlier in the week there could be punter carnage.

I hate to be the harbinger of doom but is there a chance the festival could be postponed due to extreme frost and snow?

My long-range weather forecast is for it to be very cold in general with heavy snow in the area for the first weekend in March then sub-zero temperatures for a couple of weeks after that.

This ties in with the LRF I got in early November when it said the second half of winter could be colder than average due to La Niña happening on the other side of the world.

Fill your boots Ladbrokes are 16/1 that any 1 day of the festival is postposted due to the weather

I can't say I've filled my boots but a fun tenner could cover the week's beer*.

I think the course works too hard for a day to be postponed but it does look like being colder than in archie's sources through to Cheltenham week itself when it looks chilly but not cold enough to cause disruption.

We should have bright, cold weather for the duration as part of a decent dry spell so the going should be perfect, which is an excellent prospect after the bog-slogs of this winter.

*Edit - I've just remembered it's during Lent and I'm off the bevy so the beer will need to be stored until Easter Sunday...

Last edited:

We should have bright, cold weather for the duration as part of a decent dry spell so the going should be perfect, which is an excellent prospect after the bog-slogs of this winter.

I am thinking the ground might be difficult to predict. Surely they will cover the full course from this weekend with the exception of the cross country and it could remain covered for some while, maybe someone with experience of terrain could suggest what We could expect after soft ground has been covered for 7-10 days.

I think the course works too hard for a day to be postponed but it does look like being colder than in archie's sources through to Cheltenham week itself when it looks chilly but not cold enough to cause disruption.

*Edit - I've just remembered it's during Lent and I'm off the bevy so the beer will need to be stored until Easter Sunday...
If you check back with the Accuweather link, it says that it will be coldest on the 1st, gradually warming up to around average temperatures by the 6th and cool and damp for the week itself. All the media doom merchants talking about significant snow actually mean the eastern side of the country if you look at the detail and, quite frankly, who cares about them.

I was looking at a site relating specifically to Cheltenham.

Even the BBC last night was talking about significant snow in the area. Can't recall now whether it was for this weekend or early next week.

The original forecast I had was for that snow next weekend so things are maybe happening a wee bit faster.

The site itself has got me three winning bets from five regarding a White Christmas (9/2, 9/4 and 100/30), backed a month in advance.

Last edited:
My old pal Charli Parcs has been swimming and been on the water treadmill so he misses the Kempton gallops with Buvi and co

He will also miss the Imperial Gold Cup as the ground may still be soft and that extra wee could make all the difference to him getting good ground

He is unlikely to be JP's 3rd string for the Champion Hurdle unless a couple were to come out so the County looks to be his target

I'm having some as off 144 he has more than a fair chance of winning

He'll have a hard job finishing in front of John Constable in the Champion, if he's running in the County. ;)

Last edited:
Oh my Buddha..you won't believe this Colin

I am watching Aussie racing at Yarra Valley and there's a horse running called BEHAVE so I stuck a tenner on it

Only just went and won

Colin.jpg

Vroum Vroum is going to be retired.......hang on, no .....she'll run in the Mares.

Douvan is out-for-season....hang on, no.......he's back, and will go in the Champion Chase.

Yorkhill is a Gold Cup horse.....hang on, no.....he's a Champion Chaser.......hang on, no....sorry, got that wrong......he'll go in the Champion Hurdle.

I'm surprised Teresa may hasn't hired Willie as her Brexit spokesman. He is a Jedi Master at spouting shite for the masses.

Last edited:
The period we dread every year has now started, when training reaches peak intensity and injuries happen.

Back