Cheltenham 2018/2019

Man of Plenty in the last for me. Often runs well in this type of race and should come on from his outing at Market Rasen last time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did the lad ride him so far out the back ffs? Doubt he’d have got to the winner but almost certainly would have placed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was waiting on One For Billy for a double with Canardier in the opener.

And I had Sam Red, Oighear Dubh and Presenting Julio in forecasts and tricasts.

I am still in a state of stunned disbelief!

Oighear Dubh a total sickener for locals Eugene o'Sullivan and nephew Michael, son of William who steered Lovely Citizen to Foxhunters success all those years ago. That Jane Mangan is just over the road in Conna makes it even worse.

Tell me about it....Cheltenham have a lot to answer for........can we sue?

Never mind there could be some light at the end of the tunnel so if anyone is heading that way WAIT FOR ME :)

Wait For Me is some pony when fresh

He needs to be held up but has a blistering turn of foot unlike the others in this moderate looking field.

If anyone can be in the right place at the right time it's Richard Johnson

He can clout the odd one but with a clear round I cant see him being out of the first 4

Wait For Me 10/1 ew 4 places looks like a cracking bet to me

I have followed Wait for Me over far too many cliffs.

As for Friday's disasters I felt Skelton was partly at fault for One for Billy angling the horse at a narrow gap which meant it was hardly surprising he ran out. The second one however looked from where I was sitting in the stands as if the sun was shining on the tape so it could not be seen but also made me wonder if I was not unfair on Skelton . Though around me quite a few other One for Billy backers were less than impressed by Skelton's ride.

Just a notion, PJ, though every chance the horse won’t even get an entry, as not been seen on the racecourse for a year, and I’ve no idea about wellbeing.

Chris Cook from The Guardian

Cheltenham racecourse is to make use of a newly constructed section of rail when racing returns on Friday in an effort to prevent a repeat of the extraordinary scenes last month when two likelywinners took the wrong course.
One For Billy and Oighear Dubh seemed on their way to victory at the home of jumps racing when, against the will of their jockeys, both turned left off the run-in to follow the inner rail out on to another circuit, running straight through a piece of tape intended to prevent such incidents.
Temporary measures were in place the next day to avoid a repeat but officials have come up with what they hope is a permanent solution. A single 36-yard section of rail has been designed and created by Duralock and, unusually, comes complete with the metal support pins already fixed in the base of the legs; this will be placed across the gap in the rails after runners have gone out on the final circuit, replacing the tape which proved so ineffective last month.
“The temporary arrangements worked,” said Simon Claisse, the Cheltenham director of racing, “but from my point of view they were taking too long and there was still a risk a loose horse coming back around the track would cause difficulties for the people trying to install the rail.
“Now, instead of moving nine sections of rail and pins independently, we’ve come up with a plan to move a 36-yard length of rail in one go, with as many people as that’ll need, probably eight or nine people. The pin is already in the leg, so it makes that move easier.”
It all amounts to a big effort in tackling a problem that, until last month, had come up in one race over the previous 30 years. Claisse said: “It must be the right thing to do to protect the safety of the participants.”
The new rail section will also be used to guide runners out into the country in hurdle races, for which tape was previously used. “It makes sense to replace the tape in all of its configurations,” Claisse said.

Just Saturday and Sunday for me. We're in the Final Flight this year so we we'll need to head in early to get a table so we can rest our weary legs over the day. Going to The Plough after racing on Saturday though if anyone's heading that way?

Back