Cheltenham 2018/2019

Amazed Count Meribel got back up after what looked a race-losing blunder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to Scea Royal's return tomorrow being a fav of mines but the main interest for me is the last

Greystoke has sent out some top class animals over the last 40 years and they think in time Ribble Valley could be another.

Be a lot of sad faces if he doesn't go close to winning the Bumper none more than Nicky's...Cleaned up at Ayr so he owes me nothing

PN is hard to beat at the moment so I am backing Ribble Vallley with a saver on the Dicheat horse

ummm ... i wonder who security will be focusing on :rolleyes:

Security's been a joke, all racegoers told not to bring a bag bigger than A4, some have been going in carrying in virtual sacks, my other half was advised on Friday she couldn't take in a small bottle of water to take medication even though it was sealed as in any shop, there is also a rule no food. Whilst they were searching through her handbag at the entrance yesterday I stood beside her with a large bottle of water and two packed lunches in my pockets and they never even looked at me. Touts operating in the car parks, heard someone tell security and they just said "not my area" and shrugged their shoulders.

6.50 for a sausage roll from a friend in attendance today.

He might have given you a mate's discount...

My plan of action would have been to seek out a local Wetherspoons and filled up early with a serious breakfast, enough to last through until dinner in Wetherspoons :)

Last edited:
Impressed by Coolanly on Friday, The Glancing Queen in yesterday’s bumper & Lalor today.

Agree with that too. He was giving Josies Order 15lbs and usually comes on a ton for first run.

Impressed by Coolanly on Friday, The Glancing Queen in yesterday’s bumper & Lalor today.

Lalor was incredibly impressive and considering he has traditionally been far better with racing behind him is a very exciting prospect.

I would however have today's bumper winner in Punchestown well ahead o f The Glancing Quenn, squated aside a very useful animal with the minimum of fuss today.

Hard to gauge bumper horses and the form lines they leave behind. Kings horse was it must be said was making her debut and ran around up the hill. Elliott’s had a run previous to today. We also know The Glancing Queen handles the track well.

Lalor looks to have improved fir the sight of a fence and strengthened up incredibly over the summer. Shades of Sprinter Sacre in how he took to the larger obstacles today.

Last edited:
Oh completely agree re bumpers and to be honest at the current prices you would have to go with The Glancing Queen but on the bare visuals and impression I would give the nod to Elliots horse. Anyone backing it at the current price is nuts though!!

Well, you wont see Malone Road (a stone better+ animal than the cheltenham race imo) until Cheltenham. Elliott felt he had more as good from his interview with Gary O'Brien. I think Malone Road sets a strong standard and won't be far away from the head of the market come the festival.

This weekend last year produced 4 Festival winners - Presenting Percy, Shattered Love, Coo Star Sivola and Summerville Boy - although none of them actually won. No surprise really in that the best horses wouldn't be fully tuned yet and the handicap winners in March are currently protecting their mark.

Spot on Archie Presenting Percy had run 3 times before Xmas last season and 4 times the year before that.

Once trainers think they have a real chance of that big prize it changes everything and training patterns change.

That said I reckon Lalor has a right chance of winning the Arkle

Lalor was visually impressive but, while 10/1 after the race was a fair price, I'd want to see the form franked by the beaten horses before getting too carried away.

Voix Du Reve, on the other hand, has beaten decent yardsticks and isn't being talked of as the stable's best Arkle prospect.

This weekend last year produced 4 Festival winners - Presenting Percy, Shattered Love, Coo Star Sivola and Summerville Boy - although none of them actually won. No surprise really in that the best horses wouldn't be fully tuned yet and the handicap winners in March are currently protecting their mark.

Good points, archie. I was referring to the winners themselves and agree with what you say.

It was good to meet some fellow forumites at the weekend. Frontrunner, Digger and Grasshopper. (Bizarre how the latter pair and I both have mutual friends!!).

Back