Cheltenham 2020 / 2021

I think a lot of amateurs will be examining the rulebook to see how quickly they can get back amateur status if they turn pro for a while....

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Unless some Amateurs turn pro very quickly Paul, didn't Angus Cheleda do exactly that?

But unless they all change and the race goes ahead with the same jockeys riding the respective mounts, those that put up a professional will have an advantage...

But unless they all change and the race goes ahead with the same jockeys riding the respective mounts, those that put up a professional will have an advantage...

I was thinking the elite Amateurs, Jamie Codd, Derek O'Connor etc the ones as good (or better) as some professionals.

I think a lot of amateurs will be examining the rulebook to see how quickly they can get back amateur status if they turn pro for a while....

They can go pro in a week, takes a few months to go back amateur, you can't ride more than 25 winners as a pro.

I was thinking the elite Amateurs, Jamie Codd, Derek O'Connor etc the ones as good (or better) as some professionals.

They're probably only slightly better than someone like Sam Waley-Cohen. They get to look better because they're the best amateurs and get mounts cherry-picked for them. Half the amateurs out there would win on the rides they get.

David Maxwell would probably even win on one or two of them.

They're probably only slightly better than someone like Sam Waley-Cohen. They get to look better because they're the best amateurs and get mounts cherry-picked for them. Half the amateurs out there would win on the rides they get.

Only Jamie Codd would have won on that bumper mare a few years ago. Every other amateur would have got it beat.

Last edited:
They can go pro in a week, takes a few months to go back amateur, you can't ride more than 25 winners as a pro.
So Irish jockeys would have to sacrifice fairyhouse and punchestown in order to ride at Cheltenham.

Not sure if many/any will do so.

Have a lie down...crazy statement Sam Waley:lol:

Lingfield announced their virtual Cheltenham preview lineup earlier. Had an email which started...

“We are delighted to announce that former assistant trainer to Paul Nicholls, Dan Skelton, will be on the panel!”

:lol:

I suppose they’re not lying

Last edited:
Lingfield announced their virtual Cheltenham preview lineup earlier. Had an email which started...

“We are delighted to announce that former assistant trainer to Paul Nicholls, Dan Skelton, will be on the panel!”

:lol:

I suppose they’re not lying

Last edited:
Was just playing around with a few databases and reports out of boredom and couldn't help but notice that Gordon Eliiot seems to have timed his horses form spot on, after a relatively quite start to the year, but if you look at the last 7 days, small sample size I know, where either Jack kennedy or JJ Codd have been riding he has an incredible 55% win rate and a 91% place - 11 runners, 6 winners and 10 places. I think it is obvious that he doid not target the DRF and everything has been geared to March. Might be value in a few of their runners that ran when the stable wasnt firing.

Was just playing around with a few databases and reports out of boredom and couldn't help but notice that Gordon Eliiot seems to have timed his horses form spot on, after a relatively quite start to the year, but if you look at the last 7 days, small sample size I know, where either Jack kennedy or JJ Codd have been riding he has an incredible 55% win rate and a 91% place - 11 runners, 6 winners and 10 places. I think it is obvious that he doid not target the DRF and everything has been geared to March. Might be value in a few of their runners that ran when the stable wasnt firing.

Think the market has caught up with a lot of his horses smashed for Cheltenham handicaps. I have him winning 4 handicaps.

Last edited:
SW-C is always a positive for me, especially in chases.

He's as good as any bang average pro and still gets a claim.

Last edited:
Think the market has caught up with a lot of his horses smashed for Cheltenham handicaps. I have him winning 4 handicaps.

I think he could actually win 6, but 4 is probably more realistic. I reckon a whole bunch of places to go with those wins as well.

Hurdles - Boodles (1-2-3), Pertemps (Teh Booses Oscar, Dallas des Pictons), Pipe (take your pick), and possibly the Coral Cup if Column of Fire goes there. Also I like Eclair de Beaufeu for the County, but I'd be less bullish.

Chases - The Kim Muir (Run Wild Fred), and possibly The Plate (Farclas).

His very best chances are in the hurdles, and I think despite having really good chances, his handicap chasers might find one too good.

Back