Cheltenham 2023 antepost

I think it must be almost certain that Dysart Dynamo will stick to 2 miles next season
and he will run up a sequnce of Novice chases.

Considering who trains him he will be cut by ever bookmaker out there the first time he jumps a fence.

12/1 is a steal even if only to back and lay.

Sir Gerhand is more likely of the pair to be aimed at the Turners IMO

I'm done for now, time to research the Guineas. Final list:

Dysart Dynamo Arke 12/1 - easier to curb a tearaway over fences, can you imagine Un de Sceaux in a Supreme as a young horse
Jonbon Champion Hurdle 12/1 - probably a dead bet already
Minella Cocooner Brown Advisory 16/1 and a little on the machine at 19
Jonbon Turners 12/1 - Can see him being stepped up in trip
Vanillier Stayers 25/1 and 36 on the machine
Allegorie de Vassy Mares Chase 10 and 12/1 and a little at 25s

Might be premature (it definitely is) but after Goodwood I start thinking a little bit about Cheltenham. Since Punchestown I have added a couple of possies:

Redemption Day Supreme 10s - I think Facile Vega is a bit of a boat and a more likely Ballymore horse. RD impressed me at Punchy.
Brandy Love Mares 10s - Imo 9 is a bit old for mares - Apples Jade and Annie Power were gone by that age and Epatante heads the market for this and she turns 9 on NYD. She's also taken in four Festivals to date, that's a lot. I'm gagging to see BL left handed, she could be an absolute monster. I've got a very small position on the Champion Hurdle just in case at three figures.

I reckon Champ Kiely will prove himself far better than the average summer jumps winner. 25/1 for the Ballymore.

Might be premature (it definitely is) but after Goodwood I start thinking a little bit about Cheltenham. Since Punchestown I have added a couple of possies:

Redemption Day Supreme 10s - I think Facile Vega is a bit of a boat and a more likely Ballymore horse. RD impressed me at Punchy.
Brandy Love Mares 10s - Imo 9 is a bit old for mares - Apples Jade and Annie Power were gone by that age and Epatante heads the market for this and she turns 9 on NYD. She's also taken in four Festivals to date, that's a lot. I'm gagging to see BL left handed, she could be an absolute monster. I've got a very small position on the Champion Hurdle just in case at three figures.

I reckon you boys would be shocked if I ever showed you my Festival antepost book. I start prior to the previous years Festival, and I'd say I have roughly 80% of my non-handicap bets on by the end of May!!!

Nothing wrong with that "M" you have to speculate to accumulate.

Fist thing I did after the meeting is Dutched Honeysuckle and Constitution Hill at 10/11.
They have my money (on loan :cool:) for a year but better that than it lying in the bank making peanuts.

I also backed Dysart Dynamo 12/1 for the Arkle now 16/1 and don't have clue if he will run or not

Eapatante won't go CH again at least not while CH has four legs and a tail
so I backed her at 7's for the mares

A speculative double on Energumene 5/2 and Facile Vega 5/2

and I backed Galopin Des Champs for the 2023 Gold Cup before Cheltenham.

Main bet is my dutch bet if that comes up the rest are just a bonus,

I said to a friend the other day I wish it was March and Cheltenham was about to start

He said I was wishing my life away

So I said Ok I wish it was last march.:lol:

I must admit I have enjoyed the flat more than normal this season but the heart still revolves around Cheltenham

Last edited:
I reckon you boys would be shocked if I ever showed you my Festival antepost book. I start prior to the previous years Festival, and I'd say I have roughly 80% of my non-handicap bets on by the end of May!!!

You do realise, Maruco, that when your horses win and you let us know (so that we can be happy for you :)) you're gonna be accused of being a total aftertimer and pure w'anchor for not listing the day, date and time you made the bet and the odds you got :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't say I really care Maurice. My antepost book doesn't really fit the threads here, so I neither really advertise it or claim the wins.

There are a few boys on here who are fully aware of how I play antepost and the money I make though.

As Tan has posted on the Champion Hurdle though, this is my current antepost book for it. The roll-ups are on info, and aren't as random as they may look at first glance. I run my book in points, and I'm sure it doesn't take a genius to figure out what a point equates to:

Constitution Hill (roll up Sans Bruit Auteuil 20/3) 8.31/1 9.8 points ew
Constitution Hill (roll up R6 T3 Rom 26/3) 9/1 5 points ew
Constitution Hill (roll up Fighter Sport 2/5) 11.4/1 5 points ew
Honeysuckle 5.5/1 18 points ew
Vauban 16/1 5 points ew
State Man 20/1 4 points ew

Not all this will be running next March, not least because of the risks. The win part of some of these bets will be laid off, and some may be laid off completely, usually at a profit to cover bets or a little better, with the remainder running free on the day. I look to get the win and the three places with target returns for each race.

Happy to share any positions on other races if anyone is interested.

I also perm a large pool of horses in multis. I currently have over a 100 doubles, over 50 trebles, and 16 fourfolds.

Last edited:
Oh, I like the term roll up. I just type second part of a double. I'm using that henceforth.

I have Constitution Hill in a couple of doubles with NFL team season totals but that's about it multi wise.

Although it's legitimised by wikipedia :blink: as any multiple, I've always seen a roll up as much more than a double. The first time I came across the term was many (50?) years ago and a national newspaper tipster (Daily Mail/Robin Goodfellow?) picked a horse every day with winnings rolled up on to the next day's selection. I think they got well in to double figures in selections on occasion.

Says on the RP website the Jockey Club are set to announce whether the festival is to be extended to 5 days

Story is behind a paywall though, anyone got any info?

Apparently an announcement is expected during the week.

Would they bother preparing the ground like this if they were simply going to maintain the status quo?

Apparently an announcement is expected during the week.

Would they bother preparing the ground like this if they were simply going to maintain the status quo?

Looks inevitable

Questions are now will it be 2024 or 2025 and will it be Monday to Friday?

Although it's legitimised by wikipedia :blink: as any multiple, I've always seen a roll up as much more than a double. The first time I came across the term was many (50?) years ago and a national newspaper tipster (Daily Mail/Robin Goodfellow?) picked a horse every day with winnings rolled up on to the next day's selection. I think they got well in to double figures in selections on occasion.

They were attempting to roll-up £1 into £1,000 via 10 bets at evens. Got to 7/8 I think before the bubble burst and it was headline news for a bit.

I’d imagine it’s a key aim to finish the festival on a Saturday which would mean a much bigger TV audience. Shame for Uttoxeter if so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I dunno. Maybe Uttoxeter could get a decent “spill over” crowd if they could big-screen the festival races.

The suggestion in today’s RP headline is that it would run Tuesday-Saturday with the Ryanair headlining Saturday’s racing.

Like the majority on here, I’m firmly against the proposal but if the inevitable does occur then having the Ryanair on Saturday rather than the Gold Cup would be much more preferable.

Breaking news from the RP festival to remain at 4 days. Sense prevails [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news it's staying at 4 days

I actually thought 5 days was ok as long as it was Monday to Friday

It'll still happen though, maybe 5 to 10 years away but it will happen

Last edited:
Back