Cheltenham 2023 antepost

Of the beginners something special has got to pop up to stop Vauban and Facile Vega in their tracks.

I'm keeping an open mind about them.

The figures, historically, around Vauban going into the Triumph were nothing special and on RPRs at least they're nothing special coming out.

I've always been wary of bumper horses since Wither or Which's race. Everything that day pointed to an exceptional horse but the form ended up rubbish, with Mighty Moss, a fair staying handicap chaser, having the only decent form subsequently.

That said, Willie Mullins clearly knows his onions with his bumper horses and he's made the race much more meaningful in recent years.

Tan, desert,

It’s maybe true that the figures don’t look much, but I thought the manner of Vauban’s run and the ease of his win in the end was telling, particularly since he wasn’t the most fluent on the way round. Won’t Willie run him in the Supreme next year as he originally intended? I don’t think he will rush him.

So far as Facile Vega is concerned he had already looked the business (Hendo said that given a wish it would be that he was training FV) and here he beat of a huge field in the absolute worst conditions of the meeting with consummate ease. Pretty impressive, but it’s true that he has to show he can do it when obstacles have to be negotiated.

Ps: as desert pointed out next post - I’m a pillock.

Last edited:
It’s maybe true that the figures don’t look much, but I thought the manner of Vauban’s run and the ease of his win in the end was telling, particularly since he wasn’t the most fluent on the way round. Won’t Willie run him in the Supreme next year as he originally intended? I don’t think he will rush him.

Surely his wins this season preclude his qualification for the Supreme? He'll no longer be a novice.

I imagine he'll get a new mark of around 150 or maybe just short of that. He could end up in the County if they opt to preserve it and go for the Champion Hurdle or chasing the following season. It might all depend on what connections decide to do with Constitution Hill.

Last edited:
Surely his wins this season preclude his qualification for the Supreme? He'll no longer be a novice.

I imagine he'll get a new mark of around 150 or maybe just short of that. He could end up in the County if they opt to preserve it and go for the Champion Hurdle or chasing the following season. It might all depend on what connections decide to do with Constitution Hill.

Oh yes :<3: forgot that!

Last edited:
Melbourne Cup? They? Ricci maybe? More chance of him running in the Grand National......absolutely no way will Willie even consider it IMO

Tan, desert,

So far as Facile Vega is concerned he had already looked the business (Hendo said that given a wish it would be that he was training FV) and here he beat of a huge field in the absolute worst conditions of the meeting with consummate ease. Pretty impressive, but it’s true that he has to show he can do it when obstacles have to be negotiated.

Ps: as desert pointed out next post - I’m a pillock.

You need to stop drinking that mushroom tea Jon :D He ofcourse can't run in the Supreme as DO pointed out. I think it's tough enough for Supreme winners who have beaten much more mature novices than your typical Triumph Hurdle winner.

Katchit was somewhat lucky to have done it when Sizing Europe went wrong and Celestial Halo who was second to Franchoek was just beaten by Punjabi but very few make that huge leap and many many have tried.

There's ever chance if Fil Dor and PP had run in the Supreme they would have been tailed off and that's something you have to consider.

Ruby said he's sweet on Vauban and he's more of a Champion Hurdle horse than Sir Gerhard ....That to me is not saying much

Last edited:
Melbourne Cup? They? Ricci maybe? More chance of him running in the Grand National......absolutely no way will Willie even consider it IMO

I was only repeating what Willie said.

It wouldnt had run in the triumph it had been left to Willie.

Last edited:
Celestial Halo who was second to Franchoek was just beaten by Punjabi but very few make that huge leap and many many

I thought celestial halo won the triumph.
Best week I ever had when Punjabi won the champion hurdle.
They kept pushing its price out and I kept putting more on 16s,20s,25s and 33/1

Facile Vega 3/1 and Constitution Hill 2/1. Absolutely honking prices. Id want that for them to get there.

Need some outside the box thinking for the next year if punting before the festival. I might just lay everything Gavin Lynch puts up after it shortens 20 points. (Not his fault, I actually enjoy the Upping the ante show)

Vauban (Champion)
Gaelic Warrior (Ballymore)

Best price the double?

Last edited:
I don't know if he will win the Brown Advisory next season, he probably will, but Three Stripe Life will win the 2024 Grand National.

Just done
Facile vega 4/1 supreme
CH 2/1 champion hurdle
Statler 20/1 gold cup

314/1 boosted to 414/1 w.hills

Celestial Halo who was second to Franchoek was just beaten by Punjabi but very few make that huge leap and many many

I thought celestial halo won the triumph.
Best week I ever had when Punjabi won the champion hurdle.
They kept pushing its price out and I kept putting more on 16s,20s,25s and 33/1

Sorry of course he did..Don't remind me........I should know that fooker Frank Berry made Nicky pull Binocular out of the Triumph.....because they had fortunes on Franchoek. Who I heard was the last AP bet the JP camp ever had, after the backed Binocular who was also beaten in the Supreme by Capatain Cee Bee..served them right LOL

Facile Vega 3/1 and Constitution Hill 2/1. Absolutely honking prices. Id want that for them to get there.

Need some outside the box thinking for the next year if punting before the festival. I might just lay everything Gavin Lynch puts up after it shortens 20 points. (Not his fault, I actually enjoy the Upping the ante show)

Surely it's all relative DJ? I'd certaily take 5/2 C.Hill before taking 5/2 Delta Wprks for the cross country

What price would you offer about a horse who knocked 10 seconds off Istabraq's time he set on good ground?

The Champion Hurdle was run at a pretty normal pace but C.Hill was so far in front by half way it made the CH look pedestrian.

I'm a huge fan of Honeysuckle but she has no chance of beating C.Hill this thing would make Pegasus look slow.

As for Facile Vega like Jonbon he's bred in the pink and with normal improvement he'll be a big player with Willies record with Novices.

I'll wait and see what runs at the next 2 big meetings and back Vega for the Supreme beforehand if they run him.
I have a feeeling Willie might give him time to mature and not run him till next season.

Last edited:
I just think its bad value Tanlic. Taking 2/1 and 3/1 about horses for next year when this year isn’t even over. CH looked a freak and probably is, but im most certainly happy to leave it at 2/1, no need to get involved.

As for Facile Vega, theres 1 at Hendos yard im waiting to be priced, whether its it’s actually any good or not i don’t know. They could both respectively be 1/4 on the day, but 2/1 12 month out isn’t a bet for me.

I just think its bad value Tanlic. Taking 2/1 and 3/1 about horses for next year when this year isn’t even over. CH looked a freak and probably is, but im most certainly happy to leave it at 2/1, no need to get involved.

As for Facile Vega, theres 1 at Hendos yard im waiting to be priced, whether its it’s actually any good or not i don’t know. They could both respectively be 1/4 on the day, but 2/1 12 month out isn’t a bet for me.

It's a big risk backing anything 12 months in advance and something I never did so I was surprised to see I had done a treble for this years,but now with this thread has made me do some again and the way I look at it is if you fancy something why not do it in a double with CH at 2/1 and it should make it 3x your stake..

I find it hard enough finding winners on a day to day basis, never mind doubling it with a horse 12 month out. I dont bet at all after Punchestown, i know nish all about the flat, and happy to leave the summer jumps.

Start betting anti post and betting again Charlie Hall weekend and most of Gordons Down Royal weekend.I may well start sticking horses running that day in with a Cheltenham bet. Something Ive never done but I csn see the sense in it if covering already nice positions.

I’d rather just collect there and then for a winner.

I find it hard enough finding winners on a day to day basis, never mind doubling it with a horse 12 month out. I dont bet at all after Punchestown, i know nish all about the flat, and happy to leave the summer jumps.

Start betting anti post and betting again Charlie Hall weekend and most of Gordons Down Royal weekend.I may well start sticking horses running that day in with a Cheltenham bet. Something Ive never done but I csn see the sense in it if covering already nice positions.

I’d rather just collect there and then for a winner.

Gigilo put up Chindit for Saturday last night at 5/2. 9/4 was easy to get. It's now 13/8. Why in the name of God would you wait 12 months.

Back