Cheltenham Bumper

Mullins reported that his bumper horses are only just starting proper work and that they are more backward than usual. I thought last Sunday's winner was impressive though as he looked like he was not enjoying the ground and ran a bit green throughout.

Up Ou That the new ante-post favourite after his victory on Sunday - plenty of money behind Romanesco for De Bromhead but he was brushed aside easily (presumably the latter compares favourably to their other potential top notch bumper horse Sizing Mexico).

I heard De Bromhead's is a bit slow and that's why he went down the point to point route with him rather than into a bumper first time. Pity I heard it after I backed him, believing the hype from the point to point boys that he was Pagasus. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the form of that race, Nolan's pulled like a train and it was a slowly run three runner affair (Harrgintons gone six furlongs out). Although, to the eye, the winner looked impressive.

By Jessica Lamb 1:59PM 26 JAN 2010 OWNER and amateur rider Barry Connell is resigned to having to miss this year's Weatherby's Champion Bumper at Cheltenham in March.
Connell, who rides all his own bumper runners, has been sidelined since November by a dislocated shoulder he sustained when unseated by Viking Splash at Thurles and is not expecting to return to the saddle until the end of February.
With their rider out of action, Connell's youngsters have had their training put on hold and may have run out of time to be ready to follow in the footsteps of Shinrock Paddy, who finished eighth in last year's Champion Bumper carrying Connell's blue and yellow silks.
"I've been having physiotherapy for the last two or three weeks and hope to begin riding out next week," said Connell. "I have a bunch of of nice horses to start off but they have been on ice for the past few months and I think it will be too tight to get any qualified for Cheltenham now."
However, Connell will be represented at the Festival by Shinrock Paddy, who is set to run in the Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle, for which he is a general 7-1 chance.
Connell is looking forward to Fairyhouse and Punchestown in the spring for potential stars like You'll Be Grand, an easy winner at Gowran Park in October.
"You'll Be Grand with Tony Mullins is a very nice horse," said Connell. "He'd be one of the best, but I have one with Philip Fenton who is yet to run that is potentially pretty good.
"There is also the bunch that I bought at the breeze-ups with trainers in Britain that will be ready for bumpers from May onwards. It's going to be good to get going again."

Well touted horse of Mullins makes his debut tomorrow - Day In A Lifetime - with a new owner in the pipeline.

Nothing is sacred any more..............the scumbag Fallon has apparently picked-up a ride in the Bumper.

shannon spirit, trained by tom hogan, was a very impressive winner in thurles on sunday, and has been confirmed as being on target for cheltenham

form boosted today with bubbly bruce winning at thurles by 7 lengths (should have won last time out but for a shocking ride)

Any thoughts on Dare Me who I was pleased to see come back with a facile success under a penalty late last week?

There was plenty of money behind him when he made his debut up at Haydock on Betfair Chase day in 2008 and there were some quotes around for the Champion Bumper after that race - might not have the pace to cope with one or two of the Irish horses but he looks a top notch prospect for Hemmings.

Any thoughts on Dare Me who I was pleased to see come back with a facile success under a penalty late last week?

There was plenty of money behind him when he made his debut up at Haydock on Betfair Chase day in 2008 and there were some quotes around for the Champion Bumper after that race - might not have the pace to cope with one or two of the Irish horses but he looks a top notch prospect for Hemmings.

There wasn't that much cash for him, Martin. I backed him at 9/2 (I think), and though he won handy enough, I don't think the Haydock race was all that strong a contest. He has also evidently been difficult enough to train.

Not sure if I could fancy him too much myself.

The one that catches my eye is Don't Turn Bach. Should give a good account, trained byW Mullins. Good odds. also like the look of Araucaria. Trainer has a reasonable strike rate from considerably less horses.

The one that catches my eye is Don't Turn Bach. Should give a good account, trained byW Mullins. Good odds. also like the look of Araucaria. Trainer has a reasonable strike rate from considerably less horses.

araucaria down to run sunday in a very very strong looking bumper, will provide a few answers i think

Don't Turn Bach is now with Paul Nicholls.

Nicholls was quoted in last Saturday's Racing Post as saying that Al Ferof would be his Cheltenham Bumper horse.
Both hold entries, but significantly (perhaps) Al Ferof was the one who was paraded at the media day and spoken of as a contender. John Hales bought this one because he's a grey by the same sire (Dom Alco) as Neptune Collonges.

Back