Cheltenham Bumper

Also very tall in build. Very impressive win. Haven't checked to see if entered in the bumper but if so then must be a real contender. Just when you make up your mind something happens to make you change it.

Surely the jockey difference in a bumper is much smaller?

I agree he doesn't inspire confidence, but if he keeps him handy/near the front, there's not much he can do wrong?

I would doubt him riding out a finish - he looks worse now than a couple of seasons ago. But you are getting 8/1 about the horse so that is factored into the price.

The bumper looks pretty open - 8/1 is a fair price but I wouldnt say enormous in a race that will have any amount of untapped horses running in it.

Surely the jockey difference in a bumper is much smaller?

I agree he doesn't inspire confidence, but if he keeps him handy/near the front, there's not much he can do wrong?

Do you remember Ned Kelly, ridden by his brother??

I tried to back Shot from the Hip in running as they gave him an enormous lead on ground that wasn't too bad. But his price dropped down so quickly I couldn't get on. He's clearly useful but I'd have preferred if they raced together and he went away, rather than the farce that it was. Kiely gave his mare very little chance.

Last edited:
I think Drumbaloo disliked the heavy ground the day he just got home from Tornedo Shay (the 1/3 fav and facile winner of its two previous outings) in the Grade 2 bumper at Navan.

The horse he beat the time before that on soft at Down Royal, Western Leader, has done plenty for that form.

Drumbaloo beat nothing at Hereford the time before that - you couldn't even call it a race - but he seemed to enjoy himself and strode out well on the faster ground. There's a fair bit of support for him on Betfair.

Shot From The Hip is another who I think will enjoy better ground.

Shot From The Hip is another who I think will enjoy better ground.

10/1 is a very, very nice price for this horse. I would be tempted by odds half that. Lovely looking horse, and the only negative is the jockey, and after all, since it's a flat race, what can he do wrong? :D

Sounds like Fallon has lost non of his charm or manners...

Glynn, who is based in County Clare, said on Tuesday: "We thought we had Kieren booked for the ride, but a few texts have been flying about and we've been told that he's going to be in Dubai and won't be at Cheltenham."

"It would have been a great Clare occasion as Kieren is from the county and I'm a bit mad with him, but we've been lucky to get Paul to ride the horse."

Might have been quite fun to watch if nothing else.

Especially if he was carted, and buried into the bottom of the ditch at the top of the hill.......................or if there was a sniper in the stands. :ninja:

Al Ferof (FR)Back At The Ranch (IRE)Basford Bob (IRE)Bishopsfurze (IRE)Bubbly Bruce (IRE)Carpincho (FR)Dare Me (IRE)Day of A Lifetime (IRE)De Forgotten Man (IRE)Drumbaloo (IRE)Dunraven Storm (IRE)Elegant Concorde (IRE)Frawley (IRE)Islamouth (GB)Lios A Choill (IRE)Made In Time (IRE)Megastar (GB)Old McDonald (GB)On His Own (IRE)Shannon Spirit (IRE)Sheer Genius (IRE)Shot From The Hip (GER)Super Villan (GB)Tavern Times (IRE)Up Ou That (IRE)Cue Card (GB)Hatta Stream (IRE)Hidden Universe (IRE)

A negative for Mullins band you would think - you would imagine this is the one race he rides the Mullins horse.

Nicholls must really think a lot of the Hales horse if he has managed to convince Ruby to ride him.

A negative for Mullins band you would think - you would imagine this is the one race he rides the Mullins horse.

Nicholls must really think a lot of the Hales horse if he has managed to convince Ruby to ride him.

It is hard to know the thinking behind it - by the looks of things Walsh is riding nearly everything of Mullins over the Nicholls horses in the novices race etc. This might be a compromise on Mullin's part too.

Back