Cheltenham Festival/ Corona Virus?

Tout Seul

Senior Jockey
Just watching the news re quarantine for possible victims. Strikes me that if this really takes hold in UK then public events which involve large numbers from all over might be cancelled.

...and the plague of locusts may divert to the Cotswolds!! We`re doomed I tell ya!! And just as Everton are getting going, at last!!!!!

You may well all jest but it does concern me. The guy I work for is going to Vietnam on Friday. I personally think he’s foolish and everyone has told him so but he is adamant that masks and bottled water will keep him safe. I have a great friend who lived there for 18 years and neither she nor her fellow ex-pats would revisit right now. Not because they feel it is rife within the country but that the standard of hygiene is so much lower than in the west regardless of how pristine clean the hotels look. Yes it is only flu but it’s a strain that is different to the usual flu strains we are used to. My mother has zero immunity so I will be giving him a wide berth on his return until I know there’s no threat.

Is it right that you could be a carrier of this virus without showing any symptoms?

Well it's in Italy now and it's only a matter of time before it reaches the UK and Ireland. I guess the lockdown of places where it the virus has appeared slows down the spread, which buys time to develop an antidote.

But at what cost to normal life, and if it's going to keep spreading at the current rate is it worth it anyway?

Well it's in Italy now and it's only a matter of time before it reaches the UK and Ireland. I guess the lockdown of places where it the virus has appeared slows down the spread, which buys time to develop an antidote.

But at what cost to normal life, and if it's going to keep spreading at the current rate is it worth it anyway?

I must confess that Italy's draconian steps are a worrying precedent and hope they don't foretell how other governments will deal with further outbreaks. I cannot conceive that this will impact Cheltenham but have to admit I am not as dismissive as I have been for the last three weeks.

It's very possible that Cheltenham could be under threat. If there are a number of cases in Cheltenham confirmed between now and the Festival, it would be cancelled, without question. If there are any clusters starting in the UK then Italys "Draconian" response might be the norm.

They are too busy being outraged for hand washing...

Last edited:
Ireland V Italy game in the 6 nations rugby should not go ahead on 7 March according to Irish Health Board HSE.

News that has just broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ireland V Italy game in the 6 nations rugby should not go ahead on 7 March according to Irish Health Board HSE.

News that has just broke.

More a reflection of the problems in Italy? It's a recommendation and not a directive so we'll see.

More a reflection of the problems in Italy? It's a recommendation and not a directive so we'll see.

Ah ya, surely is. But just goes to show if there’s an outbreak here or in the UK what could happen. School kids in Northern Ireland have gone into self isolation after skying trips to the Lombardy region and passing through Milan on the way home.

If there’s any sort of outbreak here like Italy we could be in bother.

So what happens if Cheltenham is Postponed and Aintree is not?

Tiger Roll can't run in the National can he? i think he has to run in a chase during the current season before March 16th

People thinking far to much into this. It’s scaremongering at its finest.

That’s said, if slims offering a billion to one still, I’ll have a quid?

Ah ya, surely is. But just goes to show if there’s an outbreak here or in the UK what could happen. School kids in Northern Ireland have gone into self isolation after skying trips to the Lombardy region and passing through Milan on the way home.

If there’s any sort of outbreak here like Italy we could be in bother.

Three schools here in Poole ran skiing trips in North Italy over half term. Several teachers self quarantined and children who went under close observation

So what happens if Cheltenham is Postponed and Aintree is not?

Tiger Roll can't run in the National can he? i think he has to run in a chase during the current season before March 16th

Cut off for a run is March 19th. There is a 3m 2f conditions chase at Down Royal on 17th March which could be an alternative (assuming racing goes ahead in Northern Ireland)

People thinking far to much into this. It’s scaremongering at its finest.

That’s said, if slims offering a billion to one still, I’ll have a quid?

scaremongering probably a good reason things could go to ****

atm i'd say it's fairly long odds on there's a case in the uk at somepoint soon and after that it's whether containment is employed and how strict it is, might get to the point it can't be realistically contained

Back