Cheltenham Festival/ Corona Virus?

People thinking far to much into this. It’s scaremongering at its finest.

That’s said, if slims offering a billion to one still, I’ll have a quid?

There has been no scaremongering: if anything, absolutely everything has been downplayed so much to keep things calm and normal....unfortunately reality is catching up quick.

Last edited:
Outbreaks in Germany now.

Cheltenham 1/3 to go ahead. That’s really not what I want to be seeing.

Last edited:
Beast from the East put the meeting in jeopardy in 2018 then there was the equine flu outbreak threatening it in the 2019 build up and now this. Considering it’s “only” 19 years since Foot & Mouth and in that time we’ve had the high winds wiping out the Wednesday in 2008, it’d be nice to have a stress free approach when the only thing that needs worrying about is trying to unravel the handicaps.

Some Serie A games are being held behind closed doors this weekend. Seems a better solution than cancellation.

Once/If it takes a full grip, then people will go about everyday life as near normal...you cant lock up and supply 60 million people with all their needs.

600 people die annually in the UK, fro Flu complications!

Last edited:
It's very possible that Cheltenham could be under threat. If there are a number of cases in Cheltenham confirmed between now and the Festival, it would be cancelled, without question. If there are any clusters starting in the UK then Italys "Draconian" response might be the norm.

But why should it? Anyone with symptoms, or has been diagnosed will be in isolation, anyone they have come into contact with as well possibly, but not 40,000 racegoers coming from all over. If people believe they have symptoms and turn up, there is no way to police that. Absolutely no reason to cancel it.

Aintree has no chance if Cheltenham doesn't go ahead.

Last edited:
Once/If it takes a full grip, then people will go about everyday life as near normal...you cant lock up and supply 60 million people with all their needs.

600 people die annually in the UK, fro Flu complications!

China have locked down more than that.
Life is nowhere near normal in countries where this is spreading.

Last edited:
School in Preston has shut due to the Coronavirus. Several other schools looking at doing the same as a few of them have been in northern Italy on school trips and returned today.

No checks at airports either which many other countries have implemented.

I cannot see anyway it's abandoned

In the F&M year the Festival was not the juggernaut it is now

They should ban Dettori attending which would be a plus

I cannot see anyway it's abandoned

In the F&M year the Festival was not the juggernaut it is now

They should ban Dettori attending which would be a plus

This. With the timescale, I’d say Aintree is in more danger than Cheltenham.

Back