Cheltenham Festival/ Corona Virus?

Without exact figures to hand i recall the mortality rate for flu is around 0.08% and that based on the relatively small sample base gathered so far the mortality rate for the Corona Virus is over 1.0 %. Multiply the UK flu figure by 10 and it would indicate death toll of around 170,000 in England. That's the population of a big town.

A lot more than 1%.
If anyone on here wants an idea of the progress of this virus, take a look at John Campbell on YouTube. His daily updates provide assessments of what’s happening around the world.

Last edited:
The first home case of the virus in the UK is a worrying development, they seem to have no idea how this person became infected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chances of The Festival being cancelled have risen from 28 per cent to 41 per cent - a 14 per cent rise in the last 24 hours.

11/8...to be off
8/13....to be on

France has banned all public gatherings with more than 5,000 people in a confined space, as the number of coronavirus cases there rises and the list of countries hit by the illness climbs.

Sporting events and music concerts could be affected.
stuff like this has to be worrying. swiss have done similar.

Swiss did it with a 1,000 people and I’m sure there were more than that on my circle line tube yesterday so that’d be interesting.

Case confirmed here in Gloucestershire. They have also set up a drive through testing station at Brockworth (just outside Cheltenham) for referrals via the NHS111 helpline.

Case confirmed here in Gloucestershire. They have also set up a drive through testing station at Brockworth (just outside Cheltenham) for referrals via the NHS111 helpline.

That is not good. Any info on whether or not the individual had travelled abroad DG?

He/she is one of the three new cases across the country which tested positive today. Two had been to Italy and the other to Asia. I know of a teacher from a school about half a mile from our home who was sent home to self isolate as he had been to Italy and had flu symtoms but not sure if it's him.

Last edited:
The worry now is there has been 5 or 6 new cases over the past 36 hours or so!

Who an earth likes to eat exotic animals.

All this, I tell thee, because people can't stop eating out rats and snakes. FFS. :)

Last edited:
I fear the worst after a big festival in Cannes has just been postponed

If this is the case, who gets in?? Owners, trainers, stable staff, media??

Same protocol as France and Hong Kong racing , I will presume as above along with Vets and medics. If it postponed the only option will be the april 2 day meeting and who's to say thats going to happen.

No chance it goes ahead even behind closed doors if it was to be the case. Too much money lost I’d imagine.

Think Cheltenham will be oright, it’s Aintree.

No chance it goes ahead even behind closed doors if it was to be the case. Too much money lost I’d imagine.

Think Cheltenham will be oright, it’s Aintree.

Surely be more money lost if they cancel it all together?

Hancock on The Marr Show at the moment. I don’t think there’s an immediate threat to Cheltenham. He’s being very careful to mention the “overall economic and social interest”, whilst making platitudes about the safety of the public.

That's the issue, you cancel Cheltenham then a dangerous precedent is set. All of a sudden, all sport is cancelled, then anywhere that has a high footfall is closed (train stations, airports), and the country simply cannot afford it.

Back